Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ditching C31s for H25s - Do I need a new multiswitch?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

Currently have an HR34, HR24, H25 and two C31s. After initially working fine, I've grown tired of the C31s and plan to replace them with H25s. Not sure if my Slimline SWM dish and the 8-way wide band splitter are going to get it done though. From what I gather in threads around here, it seems like I need an equipment upgrade in order to feed the new H25s, because they wouldn't be sharing a tuner with the HR34. That about right?

If so, should I set it up through Directv or give it a go myself? If I don't have to touch the dish, I'm fine, as long as I have the proper equipment. (The dish is on the very top of our roof, three stories up and my ladder isn't that tall.) But I'd hate to screw something up for what is otherwise - aside from the flaky C31s - a well-working setup. Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

You have a SWM-LNB on the dish that needs replaced with a normal one, and need a SWM 16 installed.

DirecTV can do it of course, but they will not guarantee H25s if they are providing the boxes.

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

Yes, you will need a hardware upgrade. You currently have (or should have) a SWM-LNB, which can handle 8 tuners.That is what you currently have. If you replace the C31s with H25s, you will be adding additional tuners, so you will need a SWM16. To know if you have a SWM-LNB, look to see if you have one cable coming down from the dish to a splitter(s). If so, you need a SWM16. That would entail running an additional 3 coax cables from the dish and replacing the SWM-LNB on the dish with a legacy LNB, along with the installation of the SWM16.

A SWM16 is about $270, so it is usually worth it to have DirecTV do the install as they will either do it for free or for about $50. If you order the H25s from DirecTV, the system should automatically set it up for an install as you require an upgrade.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

DirecTV can do it of course, but they will not guarantee H25s if they are providing the boxes.

Yup. Forgot to mention that you can't request a H25 specifically from DirecTV, just a HD receiver. If you want H25s, you will need to order them from a retailer like Solid Signal and then contact DirecTV to set up the install.

- Merg

#5 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:24 AM

Yup, it's a single wire from the dish. I'll give them a call. Thanks to the both of you.

#6 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

No big difference between an H24 and H25 though, right? I mean, I don't really care what HD receiver I get as long as it works well.

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

The H25 is small (really small) and only has a HDMI output (although you can get a special cable to connect it to a component or composite connection). Speedwise the H24 and H25 are pretty close. However, you could also get a H21 or H23.

- Merg

#8 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

Just a quick follow up - when I try to order these from the Directv website, it keeps wanting to put a Directv Cinema Connection kit in my order. I don't need another one of those, right?

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

If you already have a CCK to connect the coax network back to your home network, then you are correct. You do not need another. Just as an FYI, you can actually forgo the CCK altogether with your setup if you plug an Ethernet cable directly into the back of the Genie.

- Merg

#10 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

If you already have a CCK to connect the coax network back to your home network, then you are correct. You do not need another. Just as an FYI, you can actually forgo the CCK altogether with your setup if you plug an Ethernet cable directly into the back of the Genie.

- Merg

Yeah, that I know. I like the redundancy though, in case anything happens to the Genie. This way I'm still covered.

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

No big difference between an H24 and H25 though, right? I mean, I don't really care what HD receiver I get as long as it works well.

If you have the acreage to spare, the H24 is quite a bit more flexible as it will work without SWiM and it has all the output ports built in. The H24 also doesn't require an RF remote control kit if that's the way you want to use it.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

I'm getting this switch done on Monday (two mini-Genies replaced with two regular HD receivers). Have one question though, especially for you installers. By replacing the SWM LNB with a "Legacy" LNB, will that effect the signal levels at all? I currently receive pretty solid signal readings and am hoping that switching to the "Legacy" LNB will not drop those. Anything to worry about?

#13 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

The dish is on the very top of our roof, three stories up and my ladder isn't that tall.

Should the installers call you before they arrive, let them know this. They don't all have ladders that will reach that high.

I hope they can reach the dish without getting off the ladder. If not, you might have an entirely different problem to deal with when they come out.

Good luck.

#14 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

Should the installers call you before they arrive, let them know this. They don't all have ladders that will reach that high.

I hope they can reach the dish without getting off the ladder. If not, you might have an entirely different problem to deal with when they come out.

Good luck.

It's been up there since 2008 and has never been an issue before - can't imagine why it would be now. They moved it to that location when trees started blocking the signal in the previous location. Plus it's only a couple feet from the edge.

Edited by sangs, 07 September 2013 - 12:34 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

It's been up there since 2008 and has never been an issue before - can't imagine why it would be now. They moved it to that location when trees started blocking the signal in the previous location. Plus it's only a couple feet from the edge.

If they can't reach it, it would be a problem.

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,296 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

If they can't reach it, it would be a problem.

Not necessarily.  This seems to depend on tech/market

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   JasTay4224

JasTay4224

• Unregistered / Not Logged In
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:01 PM

Fall protection is required if dish is not accessible by ladder. Depends on tech following or breaking rules.

LNB will not effect signal strength. Legacy lnb produce identical signals. The SWM16 is an amplifier of sorts so the DB loss across the system will be less and provide more " strength " if that is how you term it.
HR34 / (5) HR24's / HR21-Pro Model / WVB + (1) C41W

#18 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:48 AM

Is this right? The installer replaced the LNB and ran some additional wires from the dish, however there appears to be no SWM 16 in the equation. (See included picture.) Everything seems to be functioning correctly - I get signals on the two new H25s as well as on the existing Genie, HR24 and H25, but this seems to go against everything I've read here. The 8-way was already installed and he seems to have just added the (splitter?) to the right of the 8-way in the included picture. Any thoughts fellas? Should I call back and ask them to come back and do it correctly? Or is this fine? Thanks.

**I have no idea why this photo is appearing upside down. It's not upside down on my computer. Sorry.**

IMG_1966.JPG

Edited by sangs, 10 September 2013 - 05:52 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:58 AM

So you have a Genie, HR24, and 3 H25s now, correct? That is 10 tuners, which does require a SWM16. You should have 4 cables coming down from the the dish as your SWM-LNB should have been replaced with a legacy LNB. It still looks like you have one coax coming to that 8-way splitter. Even if he put the SWM16 up at your dish, you would need to use both outputs on it so you would need two cables coming from the SWM16. It looks like you need to make a call. Where are the four cables coming from the dish going to right now? You don't show that in your photo. - Merg Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#20 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:09 AM

So you have a Genie, HR24, and 3 H25s now, correct? That is 10 tuners, which does require a SWM16. You should have 4 cables coming down from the the dish as your SWM-LNB should have been replaced with a legacy LNB. It still looks like you have one coax coming to that 8-way splitter. Even if he put the SWM16 up at your dish, you would need to use both outputs on it so you would need two cables coming from the SWM16. It looks like you need to make a call. Where are the four cables coming from the dish going to right now? You don't show that in your photo. - Merg Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Thanks Merg. I'll take a look at it again when I get home. Didn't even think to look up at the dish for the SWM16. Where would he install up that high? I thought it needed a power connection? Funny thing is, I saw him with a a box indicating the contents were an SWM16. He definitely replaced the LNB though, but didn't get finished until it was dark (unfortunately) because he was running a couple hours late, so I wasn't really shadowing the install. However, like I mentioned, everything works. Ran tests on all the receivers and DVRs, all passed. Transponder levels indicate strong signals.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...