Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH has dropped CLOO

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dax

Dax

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:54 AM

For the past few years my satisfaction level with Dish has been steadily dropping, but now it's taken a massive hit.  I just discovered that they have apparently removed CLOO from their lineup.  They claim, "cloo offered programming that can be located on other networks, such as USA Network & TNT."  Using that logic, shouldn't they be dropping most sports and news channels too?

I'll be the first to agree that cable no longer consists of the niche channels that once made it unique.  There's little diversity in the syndicated programming being shown on the various cable and independent channels.  In that respect, CLOO is no different.  But at the present time, they are the only other channel besides USA Network that offers syndicated repeats of NCIS.  This year they celebrated the 100th episodes of Psych and Burn Notice by airing every single episode of each series.  Occasionally they'll throw in a marathon of classic '70's crime shows or comedies, etc. etc.

So, DISH, whatever the reason you've made this asinine decision, don't think for a second you can smooth it over by saying the same programming can be found elsewhere - unless you're referring to DirecTV.

Edited by Dax, 10 August 2013 - 03:34 AM.

• SPVANDERWAHL likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,206 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:40 AM

Unfortunately with other channels that are popular raising rates the less popular channels are at risk. A channel carried in SD in AT250 won't be missed by the majority of DISH customers - it was not available to most customers. USA and TNT are available to all DISH customers.

I do not like seeing channels dropped but I wonder who is next? Which niche channel with low subscriber counts will find itself without renewal?

Or will NBC Universal use their other channels as leverage the next time they come up for renewal to get Cloo back on DISH? Is carriage that important to them?
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:12 AM

What?  No more original Charlie's Angels?  Or Get SMART ?

Edited by SayWhat?, 10 August 2013 - 08:13 AM.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#4 OFFLINE   gardeningartist

gardeningartist

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

I was very disappointed to turn on my TV today, flip to Cloo first thing, and see it removed.  Since I weigh my payments very carefully against what I watch, this is making it much less likely I will stay with Dish much longer.  Cloo, USA, and 138 are stations I watch the most so feel a third of my watching ability has just been removed.  For the price we have to pay for stations I never watch or care about, this is a giant blow.  Time to look elsewhere.  It is time for the Dish company to discover that showing respect to their customers should come first.  I can think of 20 channels they could remove and I wouldn't care a bit.  Cloo is a channel I enjoy and I will find a way to get a service that includes it.  

gardeningartist 

• SPVANDERWAHL likes this

#5 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,070 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

I never watched CLOO because it wasn't in HD.. I keep my guide on all HD.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#6 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

For some of you, get an OTA adapter and you can get much of the same programming on CLOO on some of the subchannels like ME TV, Cozi, and This.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#7 OFFLINE   Willh

Willh

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

i wonder if Dish had a contract with just cloo that was separate from all other NBC Universal channels and the contract expired and Dish claimed low ratings and made the channel now a DirecTV and Cable exclusive channel. 

i definitely see this as a excuse to lie to customers and claim low rating when actually, they didn't negotiate in good faith and dropped the network due to NBC Universal wanting more for Cloo. and i checked on Dish's facebook page, people are ticked at them for this. 

Dish Network Customer since Jan 2007, upgraded to HD on September 2, 2010.

DVRs/Box Sets: Dish VIP DVR 722K (2 of them).

long time Pro-Wrestling and NASCAR fan.

#8 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:38 PM

Great. lost another channel.

So what, it wasn't HD, neither are 90% of Encore.

I watched cloo, sometimes there's so much crap on, reruns are fall back option.

IF you like NCIS, yeah, there's USA [ USA is really fond of NCIS and SVU]

It was not AMC to be sure, but if I go to the store for a dozen eggs, I don't expect 11.

Is Dish replacing this channel?

chris

#9 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

On the other hand, over the last year one of the few channels that was interesting enough to make me want (but not actually buy) AT200 was moved to my AT120 package, and several channels that I never used to watch because they were SD have become HD, so overall, I'm pretty happy with Dish lately.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,420 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

I hate to say it... but Cloo is just the kind of channel that can't survive asking for more money.  It wouldn't have even been around this long if it hadn't been in a tier with other channels that more people wanted than didn't want... but asking for more money is likely to get a LOT of marginal viewership channels canceled right now.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#11 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:25 PM

Given that both Dish and Direct had net sub losses this past quarter, and I expect that trend to keep going the way it is though at a slightly slower pace.  Mostly caused by the cost for pay tv get very close to that magic number that says 'BS I quit'.  I think you'll see some more marginal, more niche channels go away.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#12 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

Something's happening and I don't see it as good.  RFD TV is running a Nag segment about being pulled off Comcast in certain markets and replaced with a cooking channel.

Now, if Dish dumps RFD and or Rural, I might get a bit uppity and start a-sharpenin' the pitchfork.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#13 OFFLINE   Allen Noland

Allen Noland

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

I will miss cloo.  Maybe it will come back with a new contract.

Allen

#14 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

Given that both Dish and Direct had net sub losses this past quarter, and I expect that trend to keep going the way it is though at a slightly slower pace.  Mostly caused by the cost for pay tv get very close to that magic number that says 'BS I quit'.  I think you'll see some more marginal, more niche channels go away.

Don't you think if they keep dropping more channels [ niche, or not]  that magic [ cost] number of  "BS I quit" will continue to get closer?

I need to explore faster internet speed  and roku. Dropping down a few packages will pay for the cost. I think as the economy circles the drain, more will be headed in this direction.

I think the providers see the customer as a golden goose, and most know the end of that story.

chris

#15 OFFLINE   SPVANDERWAHL

SPVANDERWAHL

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:40 AM

It doesn't make sense to drop cloo and attempt to justify it by saying that it's not in HD so most people won't miss it.  I miss it because they had some repeats of USA shows that I could see when I could no longer get them on USA - DISH does not have VOD like DirecTV did and most of the Encore channels are in SD and show the same tired movies over and over.

DISH over promised and now that I've switched from DirecTV I see they are much like a cable company underdelivering.  The poor business practices of companies like DISH, DirecTV, Comcast and Cox Cable are the reason I tell people to never bundle services.  If you bundle you are more likely to be stuck with several poorly maintained services, if you forgo the bundle you are likely to have something that works. 

Right now DISH isn't cutting it for me!

#16 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

and most of the Encore channels are in SD

Yeah, that's why we don't subscribe to that package either.

#17 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,070 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

For the past few years my satisfaction level with Dish has been steadily dropping, but now it's taken a massive hit.  I just discovered that they have apparently removed CLOO from their lineup.  They claim, "cloo offered programming that can be located on other networks, such as USA Network & TNT."  Using that logic, shouldn't they be dropping most sports and news channels too?

I'll be the first to agree that cable no longer consists of the niche channels that once made it unique.  There's little diversity in the syndicated programming being shown on the various cable and independent channels.  In that respect, CLOO is no different.  But at the present time, they are the only other channel besides USA Network that offers syndicated repeats of NCIS.  This year they celebrated the 100th episodes of Psych and Burn Notice by airing every single episode of each series.  Occasionally they'll throw in a marathon of classic '70's crime shows or comedies, etc. etc.

So, DISH, whatever the reason you've made this asinine decision, don't think for a second you can smooth it over by saying the same programming can be found elsewhere - unless you're referring to DirecTV

I never watched CLOO, STYLE, OPHRA ETC.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#18 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

Cloo has one of the lowest  % of people watching at any time of any cable channel. Anyone who can't live without it certainly can switch to a provider, who in the coming months may well also drop it. It was just dropped from Charter here also.

Edited by tampa8, 18 September 2013 - 02:27 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   Chihuahua

Chihuahua

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:21 AM

That network could wind up becoming available only online.

#20 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,070 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

HULU could stream CLOO.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

spam firewall