Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Considering Roku for Amazon Prime

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:13 AM

I have an older Panasonic Blu-Ray player that I've been using for streaming for a while now.  My frustrations are as follows:

1) From turning on the Blu-Ray player until starting the video I want takes about 1:30.  There's a lot of steps to navigate.  And a connection test every time I start/pause a program that takes over 10 seconds to complete.

2) The player will interrupt programming to tell me that the bandwidth is too low to continue streaming at the current quality.

3) Sometimes, the player will refuse to connect to Amazon to play a stream, even when I can stream it on my computer.

4) The video will frequently only play with 4 bars instead of 5 (5 is HD).

I have 10Mbps Fiber-based Internet, with a provider that actually gives me a little more.  I use a hard-wired connection to the router, but I could do 50+Mbps Wi-Fi as well (that's box to router speed, not box to Internet speed.)

Would a Roku 3 help/fix any of the above issues, or will my experience be similar?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 867 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:54 AM

Netflix and Amazon work perfectly well for me on Roku, I have them on every TV in the house and most are used at least 4 times a week. It sounds like your Amazon Instant Video app is an older app that doesn't do adaptive bitrate streaming. If it can't deliver the full bandwidth, your show buffers. More current devices (like Roku or any current device) solve the issue by adjusting your stream quality based on your available bandwidth. A Roku won't get you from 4 bars to 5 by itself, but nothing that we watch on Amazon, Netflix or Vudu takes more than just a few seconds to start. You can see your stream quality dip at times, but on my 20/2 connection it's pretty rare. We can have 3 streams going at once and nobody complains about quality.

Edited by dualsub2006, 10 August 2013 - 06:55 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   tomspeer46

tomspeer46

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationEastern NC and Adirondack Mtns, NY

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:30 AM

I replaced my original Roku with a Roku 3 this year.  At my summer home in the Adirondack Mountains, the best internet service I can get is 2 Mbps DSL.  Amazon Prime streams well, but at 4 bars, not 5.  It is hard do discern the lack of full HD quality on a 37" 720p TV.  It is certainly better than SD.   The new Roku interface is better, and it is very responsive.  The few times that it has had to pause to buffer at 2 Mbps, it was just a brief delay and the stream continued after the pause, with no interruption otherwiswe.  I highly recommend Roku 3 for Amazon Prime. 

The Avatar is my curious neighborhood Otter.
My setup

#4 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

Snip:

I have 10Mbps Fiber-based Internet, with a provider that actually gives me a little more.  I use a hard-wired connection to the router, but I could do 50+Mbps Wi-Fi as well (that's box to router speed, not box to Internet speed.)

Would a Roku 3 help/fix any of the above issues, or will my experience be similar?

The only speed that matters is the Internet speed. If you were using a gigabit Router with a 10Mbps internet connection. The Lowest number is the only one that matters. In other words 10Mbps. I used to see people that thought they had 100Mbps internet speed, No they didn't, They were seeing the Ethernet port speed.

Something like this will give you the real figure. http://www.speedtest.net/

My wired connection usually runs around 80 to 90 Mbps speed for comparison. I never have streaming issues FWIW.

Good Luck

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#5 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

The only speed that matters is the Internet speed. If you were using a gigabit Router with a 10Mbps internet connection. The Lowest number is the only one that matters. In other words 10Mbps. I used to see people that thought they had 100Mbps internet speed, No they didn't, They were seeing the Ethernet port speed.

Something like this will give you the real figure. http://www.speedtest.net/

My wired connection usually runs around 80 to 90 Mbps speed for comparison. I never have streaming issues FWIW.

I know this.  Once upon a time I held a couple of Cisco certifications in my pocket.  I was clarifying that the 50Mbps was only the local Wi-Fi, and not the actual speed of the Internet connection.

Multiple speedtest tests have indicated that I am getting just above the promised 10Mbps.  Upstream has been anywhere from 50Mbps to 100Mbps, which is not usually how these things work.  The wonder of fiber!

Edited by sregener, 10 August 2013 - 03:47 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:35 AM

Thanks for all the replies, I ordered a Roku 3.

#7 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 867 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:32 AM

You won't be sorry. I haven't upgraded any of my Roku 2 models to the Roku 3 yet, but I've not regretted choosing Roku for my streamer.

And I've owned quite a few. WD, Apple TV, Netgear and one more that I can't recall. The Roku is the best of the bunch for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DBSTalk mobile app

#8 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:53 AM

Roku 3 arrived yesterday.  Holy buckets!  Everything about the experience is soooo much better.  It keeps track of which episodes I've watched, so I don't have to guess/remember every time I turn it on.  Getting to the program selection screen is blazing fast.  And the picture quality is better!  I thought I was getting the best Amazon had to offer when my Blu-Ray player said HD, but the Roku's is sharper and the color depth is much better.  Startup to playing a video is about a second, which beats the "connection test/video loading" long wait of the Blu-Ray.

I'm sure it does far more than I was able to experience last night, but as an Amazon Prime player, this is the "bee's knees."

#9 OFFLINE   gjrhine

gjrhine

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:32 AM

Some channel providers keep track of episodes,  The Roku does not.

Gary

#10 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

Roku 3 arrived yesterday. Holy buckets! Everything about the experience is soooo much better. It keeps track of which episodes I've watched, so I don't have to guess/remember every time I turn it on. Getting to the program selection screen is blazing fast. And the picture quality is better! I thought I was getting the best Amazon had to offer when my Blu-Ray player said HD, but the Roku's is sharper and the color depth is much better. Startup to playing a video is about a second, which beats the "connection test/video loading" long wait of the Blu-Ray.

I'm sure it does far more than I was able to experience last night, but as an Amazon Prime player, this is the "bee's knees."

One thing to keep in mind, there is a known issue with the Roku 3 where the speed of the interface will start to slow down gradually and and become somewhat jerky over the course of a month or so. A restart will restore it's snappy response.

Otherwise, I agree that the roku 3 is great.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#11 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,653 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:06 AM

My ISP is offering the Roku2HD for half price, around $30 ...Go for it?

The main differences I see between it and the 3 is the lack of games (which I don't need) and a hardwired LAN port.  Are there any functional differences?

I only have 3M DSL, so I'm not sure what to expect there.  I might be able to upgrade to 6M DSL, but I'd have to check on that.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#12 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 867 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

Functionally, the HD and LT only stream 720p. The XS, XD and Roku 3 all do 1080p streams.

If you're OK with that, then yeah, go for it. That's better than Amazon's price for the LT and it's not that purple color that many don't like.

#13 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,653 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Yeah, I caught the 720P difference also, but with 3M service, I don't think it'll matter that much.  I only have SD on Dish anyways.

Price was actually $25

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#14 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 530 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

Yeah, I caught the 720P difference also, but with 3M service, I don't think it'll matter that much.  I only have SD on Dish anyways.

Price was actually $25

They sell for more than twice that on eBay so yeah, that's a very good deal.

Edited by Reaper, 16 August 2013 - 10:27 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

Functionally, the HD and LT only stream 720p. The XS, XD and Roku 3 all do 1080p streams.

If you're OK with that, then yeah, go for it. That's better than Amazon's price for the LT and it's not that purple color that many don't like.

The main differences I see between it and the 3 is the lack of games (which I don't need) and a hardwired LAN port.  Are there any functional differences?

I only have 3M DSL, so I'm not sure what to expect there.  I might be able to upgrade to 6M DSL, but I'd have to check on that.

Who's your ISP??

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,166 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

You won't be sorry. I haven't upgraded any of my Roku 2 models to the Roku 3 yet, but I've not regretted choosing Roku for my streamer.

And I've owned quite a few. WD, Apple TV, Netgear and one more that I can't recall. The Roku is the best of the bunch for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DBSTalk mobile app

While I'll agree that the best of the streaming boxes is the Roku, I'd still rather have a BD player for streaming.  I've tried most of the streaming boxes and I've returned all of them, including two Roku 3s.  I finally settled on a Sony BDP 5100 and I'm quite happy with it.  

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

One of the benefits of the Roku 3 enjoyed by my wife and me is the headphone jack on the remote control.  Late Friday night when I want to watch The Fast and the Furious 15 I can do so while she peacefully slumbers.   And I wake up at 3 AM tangled in headphone wires having missed half the movie.  Ah...getting old(er).

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#18 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 867 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:40 AM

I know this is an old topic, but the Roku 2 now also includes the headphone jack in the remote.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...