Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

some help after a lightening strike!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Aztec Pilot

Aztec Pilot

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

I sustained a pretty good lightening strike a 6 weeks ago.   My basement setup was affected.   I have a 4x4 hdmi matrix connected to two DirecTV DVR's and a Vizio Blu Ray(VBR110).  Outputs to three different Vizio TV's.   a 40'. 50' and 70' hdmi  run respectively.   The 4th output went via a 4' cable to an Onkyo SR606 then a 25' run to an Epson 6500UB projector.   Everything had been working great prior to the strike.  

Two of the Vizio's had there hdmi inputs "blown", as did the epson projector.  I had new main boards put in the Vizio's and bought a new Epson 8350UB, as Epson wanted more to replace the board then it cost to buy the new one!.  

After reassembly.......Only one Vizio would fire up and I  had intermittent problems on the others......eliminated the hdmi matrix, now direct from the BluRay or DTV to any of the Vizios will work fine.  Also Direct from the DTV  and/or Bluray to the Epson works great, but no sound obviously.   And...HDMI out from the Onkyo to any of the Vizio's  works fine.

Here is where I am stumped.   Blu Ray thru the Onkyo will not put a picture on the Epson...It seems like it is trying, but no discernible picture.   Sound is great.  25'  28 gauge generic hdmi cable.  DTV thru the Onkyo to the Epson is better, but not watchable.

Starting with the simplest...  I went to Blue Jeans Cable and bought a new 25' BJC Belden Series-1 cable.    Now DTV works, tho with an occasional flicker.   No change on the Bluray-onkyo-epson setup.   It seems that the Epson and the Onkyo are not playing well together.

I can not figure out which equipment is my weak link.  

I can not wait to hear what I have overlooked!

---------------------------------------------
My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,716 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:48 AM

Lightening strikes raise havoc with electrical equipment. Unless you forgot to mention it what you have overlooked was having power protection for your setup. Furman and Panamax have a fine line of Power Line Conditioner/Surge Protection units. 

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   Aztec Pilot

Aztec Pilot

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:23 AM

I had a surge surpressor that did not survive. I have replaced it but I will look in to a more advanced protection system.
My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,716 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

I had a surge surpressor that did not survive. I have replaced it but I will look in to a more advanced protection system.

High end Power Line Conditioner/Surge Protector units are well worth the money. Back in June we had multiple brown outs and power outages in one night due to a severe electrical storm that went through our area. My Panamax units killed the power to my Home Theater systems ten seconds before the rest of my house was effected with each surge that occurred. My Home Theater systems were protected and both Panamax units were undamaged. 

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#5 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

The cheaper surge suppressors are designed to sacrifice themselves to save the connected equipment.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

Sometimes it's not easy to find the root cause..some suggestions to test..

1. HDMI cables--For passive HDMI, there is no specific distance limit, but there are certified limits and practical limits..depending on what you wish to do. In my experience 25ft +/- is the max run for worry-free video/audio with typical high-speed HDMI cables connected to HDMI 1.4a-capable equipment. YMMV, depending on setup and age of the cables. The "high-speed HDMI" IEEE spec has changed over time and will change again. Keep in mind you may have seen 1.4a rated cables for sale..there is no such thing, even if there is a stamp on the cable and printing on the box it came in. Marketing gimmick only. The rating is completely dependent on the device's HDMI connection/port. The newer the device, the more up-to-date the spec will be.

That's the total for all segments in the run (projector-to-AVR + AVR-to-DTV + DTV-to-TV = 'x' ft), not per each segment of the run. For extra distance, try redmere-style HDMI, which are directional, but are narrower, more flexible and handle longer distances. Some links:

http://redmere.com

http://monoprice.com

http://monster.com

http://bluejeanscable.com

http://amazon.com

2. UPS battery backup--either connected directly to the equipment..or directly to your electrical service panel. If lightning is that prevalent, you might want to consider having rods strategically mounted/installed/planted on the property. Nothing will prevent damage from a direct strike, but that's rare..even the distant hits cause issues with home electric. Inexpensive surge protectors are not the same. Coupled with the surge protection recommendations in prior posts, you'd have a better shield.

3. Electrical service--lightning strikes can damage your entire household. Service call to an electrician for an inspection is not cheap, but it's a lot less than any piece of equipment you have.

4. If an ongoing issue with the DTV receiver, call DirecTV at 800-531-5000. It may require a service call by a technician ($49 includes updating entire setup if needed) or receiver replacement (free or $19.95 delivery/handling)

Good luck!

-=K=-

#7 OFFLINE   zx10guy

zx10guy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

I would say a proper power protection plan would be to implement a whole house surge suppressor first and then use secondary point of service surge protectors/UPS'.

#8 OFFLINE   Aztec Pilot

Aztec Pilot

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:06 AM

OK, thanks for the help.   That is the first strike I have ever sustained.   But a good protection system seems like a no brainer.  

Back to the question.    The Onkyo SR606 is not playing well with new Epson 8350.   This setup worked great before the strike with the Epson 6500.   I have replaced the cable, as I mentioned in my first post.   I do not think that I can do much else with that, except for maybe replacing it with one just a few feet shorter.   A 22' would work.

Questions are:  

Could the new Epson be more finicky on the hdmi input than the older Epson?

Could the Onkyo have  sustained a little damage that may have weakened its hdmi output signal.

My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   Aztec Pilot

Aztec Pilot

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

Well,  I tried one last test.  Removed the projector and hooked it up next to the receiver with a 3'hdmi.   No change.   So I am gonna blame the problem on the reciever and order a new Onkyo NR727.   Kinda wanted it anyhow.

My Setup

#10 OFFLINE   Aztec Pilot

Aztec Pilot

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

The new onkyo looks and sounds great. The weak link was the other receiver. Everything is flawless now. Does anyone know if DIRECTV still broadcasts the calibration show every so often?
My Setup

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,583 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:37 PM

I haven't seen it in ages, but also haven't looked for it. Though IIRC it was indeed canned. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...