Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I'm tired of DIRECTV's Creative Ways of Digging into my pocket

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
163 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Spike

Spike

Legend

• Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:50 AM

I am amazed at how many ways DIRECTV has found to dig into my pocket to get more dollars out of it.  I can understand a charge for the equipment protection plan. But the rest of these additional fees, really?  Just because it's accepted doesn't make getting socked by this stuff every month a GOOD thing.  A DVR fee? Really? Didn't I pay for the DVR fee, when I made the transaction that took that DVR off the shelf and put it into my home? And if that take off the shelf fee wasn't enough for you, then why didn't you charge me for what that DVR is actually worth? No, really! Charge me for what it is worth. I'm tired of this game! This monthly FEE stuff is slowly bleeding me to death. And the Whole Home DVR Service? Didn't I pay for that when they came into my house and charged me that extra fee for the work they had to do to install the new Whole Home equipment, when it first came out? Hey, Directv, I should be charging you for the right to come into MY home. My home has value. Let's call it the IN MY HOME FEE! I'll charge it to you every time you call my house or one of your workers steps foot inside my door. It's about time we turn this thing around. Further, Didn't I pay more for the DVR that you charge me monthly for rather than paying less for a non DVR receiver? And didn't I pay extra for my "Advanced HD Receiver" when I paid for it rather than a less expensive SD receiver? Your HD fee is really creative! Even T.V manufacturers could do it! They could charge me a monthly fee, because the t.v I just purchased can show HD programing. If they did, they'd be doing exactly what you are doing!  It's insane! Hey, stop producing HD equipment, if you don't want me to use it! And don't I pay for the right to use your equipment by agreeing to stay with DIRECTV for two more years, when ever I add any additional equipment? And didn't I pay additionally for each TV, when I purchased those TV's? It amazes me that I am paying YOUR for the right to hook DIRECTV equipment up to each of MY TV's. I should charge you.  My T.V's are as valuable as your Directv equipment! And your monthly fee is not just a one time fee either.  You charge me for the PRIVILEGE of using my T.V's every single month! I am convinced. If DIRECTV could think of any other creative language to print on a piece of paper in order to charge me an additional fee, they would! Whoa! Big Bucks!! Big Big Bucks! I don't like it, and eventually, as my family begins to head off to college soon, I will be cutting way back on Directv, or even eliminating DIRECTV all together. And yes, I realize cable and other T.V programing providers do the same types of things. One thing is for sure. I will be putting a damper on this insanity one way or the other! I refuse to let programing distributers dig deeper and deeper into my wallet

A Listing of DIRECTV's creative ways to make additional money from my account

Additional TV - Charge

Additional TV - Charge

Additional TV - Charge

Advanced Receiver-HD -Charge

Advanced Receiver-DVR - Charge

DIRECTV Protection Plan - Charge

DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR Service - Charge"

Edited by Spike, 11 August 2013 - 09:28 AM.

• ohpuckhead likes this
Holy Cow! The Cubs?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

I do agree the fees are getting out of control.

But I would rather see them like this then added into the basepacks.

Cause face it , one way or another we are paying for it no matter how it looks.
  • sigma1914 likes this

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

Don't want the fees? Cancel the options. You don't need a DVR, you want it. You don't need Whole Home, you want it. etc...

They could do like some companies and include all the additional fees "hidden" in the base price and leave no options to add or drop the extra services.

• BlackDynamite and MysteryMan like this
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,260 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

The OP raised some good points but has many options.  Isn't that what's great about our technology today?

Can try cable.

Can try DISH.

Can try Telco's such as FIOS/Uverse depending where they live.

Or cut the cord and go OTA.

Digital TV doubled the channel selection since the Analog days, with great pictures.

And go online and use online providers for streaming.

If you are unhappy with the fees, there are so many options.  Let us know what you choose.

#5 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

Interesting mention..DirecTV is well aware that they (and others) are reaching the upper pricing limits for many subscribers. This is precisely why they are negotiating hard and lobbying for reductions or removal of TV broadcasting charges. I was hoping that Hulu purchase was going through, but alas..wondering if they'll snap up Aereo..or merge with Dish. No matter what happens, there does come a breaking point, and it's not far off, IMHO.

On the other hand, you do get a lot of value for the money..and you asked DirecTV to come into your home. DirecTV is required to charge a "viewing fee per television". It used to be "per receiver", but the FCC (maybe?) changed the required terminology. Works out to be the same thing. Based on your description..at the point of sale, there was never a lifetime DVR service charge or offer. It's always been a monthly charge. The hardware was never purchased (many customers qualify for free hardware, some do not). The hardware is leased, which means it must be returned upon disconnect or replacement within 20 days (approximate), or there is a charge.

Using your televisions does not require you to pay anyone (as explained above, OTA is free). It's all a choice..and as with most things, prices increase. Thankfully the value increases more than the price.

Good luck!

-=K=-

Edited by kaminar, 11 August 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,906 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:31 AM

I am amazed at how many ways DIRECTV has found to dig into my pocket to get more dollars out of it.  I can understand a charge for the equipment protection plan. But the rest of these additional fees, really?  Just because it's accepted doesn't make getting socked by this stuff every month a GOOD thing.  A DVR fee? Really? Didn't I pay for the DVR fee, when I made the transaction that took that DVR off the shelf and put it into my home? And if that take off the shelf fee wasn't enough for you, then why didn't you charge me for what that DVR is actually worth? No, really! Charge me for what it is worth. I'm tired of this game! This monthly FEE stuff is slowly bleeding me to death. And the Whole Home DVR Service? Didn't I pay for that when they came into my house and charged me that extra fee for the work they had to do to install the new Whole Home equipment, when it first came out? Hey, Directv, I should be charging you for the right to come into MY home. My home has value. Let's call it the IN MY HOME FEE! I'll charge it to you every time you call my house or one of your workers steps foot inside my door. It's about time we turn this thing around. Further, Didn't I pay more for the DVR that you charge me monthly for rather than paying less for a non DVR receiver? And didn't I pay extra for my "Advanced HD Receiver" when I paid for it rather than a less expensive SD receiver? Your HD fee is really creative! Even T.V manufacturers could do it! They could charge me a monthly fee, because the t.v I just purchased can show HD programing. If they did, they'd be doing exactly what you are doing!  It's insane! Hey, stop producing HD equipment, if you don't want me to use it! And don't I pay for the right to use your equipment by agreeing to stay with DIRECTV for two more years, when ever I add any additional equipment? And didn't I pay additionally for each TV, when I purchased those TV's? It amazes me that I am paying YOUR for the right to hook DIRECTV equipment up to each of MY TV's. I should charge you.  My T.V's are as valuable as your Directv equipment! And your monthly fee is not just a one time fee either.  You charge me for the PRIVILEGE of using my T.V's every single month! I am convinced. If DIRECTV could think of any other creative language to print on a piece of paper in order to charge me an additional fee, they would! Whoa! Big Bucks!! Big Big Bucks! I don't like it, and eventually, as my family begins to head off to college soon, I will be cutting way back on Directv, or even eliminating DIRECTV all together. And yes, I realize cable and other T.V programing providers do the same types of things. One thing is for sure. I will be putting a damper on this insanity one way or the other! I refuse to let programing distributers dig deeper and deeper into my wallet! 

A Listing of DIRECTV's creative ways to make additional money from my account

Additional TV - Charge

Additional TV - Charge

Additional TV - Charge

Advanced Receiver-HD -Charge

Advanced Receiver-DVR - Charge

DIRECTV Protection Plan - Charge

DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR Service - Charge"

What's insane is you complaining about something you "chose" to get involved with. You "chose" to sign up with DirecTV. You "chose" to have all those TV's on your account. You "chose" to have additional receivers on your account. You "chose" to have the Protection Plan. You "chose" to have Whole-Home DVR service. You still have choices. Lower you coverage with DirecTV. Choose another service provider. Use a OTA. You have yourself to blame for all those additional charges you're complaining about. :nono2:   

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#7 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 464 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:40 AM

Retentions will get many fees dropped. I refuse to pay for a second TV when I never watch them at the same time and the Client isn't a real receiver. I refuse to pay for HD - not even greedy Time Warner Cable does that! I pay $6 for 1 TV and $3 for something else. No other stupid fees and if they appear on my bill, bye bye Directv. 

Why are there commericals on pay TV if there are retrans fees etc? Greed sickens me.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#8 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

DirecTV's price to earnings ratio is, in my opinion, unremarkable at a little over 12.  If they were literally sitting on a gold mine I'd have some money in the game.

Having said that, some of the programming providers seem to be either 'raking it in' or have no regard for constraining expenses.

#9 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

All companies are going the 'fee' route to grab extra $'s out of our pockets. Hell, TWC used to provide you the cable modem as part of the base monthly charge. They then decided to not only raise rates but now charge a monthly lease fee, which is now up to $5.95/month. Airlines started the trend now everyone is doing it.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#10 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:47 AM

All companies are going the 'fee' route to grab extra $'s out of our pockets. Hell, TWC used to provide you the cable modem as part of the base monthly charge. They then decided to not only raise rates but now charge a monthly lease fee, which is now up to $5.95/month. Airlines started the trend now everyone is doing it.

At least with TWC and BHN you have the option to buy your own equipment and avoid the 5.95 per month charge.  Can't do that with D*.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!
My current setup can be found here!

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

At least with TWC and BHN you have the option to buy your own equipment and avoid the 5.95 per month charge. Can't do that with D*.

are you referring to just the modem fee or the per TV fee. folks that have cable ready TVs and just need an access card still have to pay a monthly fee
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

The hardware was never purchased (many customers qualify for free hardware, some do not). The hardware is leased, which means it must be returned upon disconnect or replacement within 20 days (approximate), or there is a charge.

"Hardware was never purchased"??? Not true. Before DirecTV went to a leased-based business model (2006?), you bought the equipment. And even today, you can buy a receiver, but at a higher price.

#13 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,265 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

are you referring to just the modem fee or the per TV fee. folks that have cable ready TVs and just need an access card still have to pay a monthly fee

+1

I'm a little confused by Milkman's asymmetrical comparison here;

DIRECTV doesn't have a Cable internet service to even offer such an option for one to purchase their own cable modem.  :confused:

Edited by HoTat2, 11 August 2013 - 09:15 AM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#14 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:32 AM

I know our cable company charges $5.95 per month for a cable card.

And you need a TV that accepts the cable card, or a Tivo. And we all know Tivo isn't free.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#15 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:36 AM

"Hardware was never purchased"??? Not true. Before DirecTV went to a leased-based business model (2006?), you bought the equipment. And even today, you can buy a receiver, but at a higher price.

Even still you have to pay an Upfront lease fee, and then a monthly lease fee? I do agree this is a bit of a rip off.
I think Directv should do away with the upfront lease fees. Period!

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#16 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

While I am not a fan of fees, everyone seems to be forgetting that you pay the $6 whether you own or lease the receiver. It is a mirroring fee which for accounting reasons got relabeled a lease fee when receivers became leased. This is why your first receiver gets the lease fee refunded.  Now for the other fees, whole home is nothing but a money grab. Other than the initial installation it does not cost DirecTV one penny to provide Whole Home.  I understood HD fee in the beginning but now that is has become the defacto  standard it should go away. It is like charging a "color" fee in 1970. 

• damondlt and Supramom2000 like this
My Setup

#17 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

Even still you have to pay an Upfront lease fee, and then a monthly lease fee? I do agree this is a bit of a rip off.

At $888 (Subscriber Acquisition Cost) for a new install, where do you expect that they're going to recover the cost?  The revenue over the first two years is quite a bit less than that after substantial sign-up discounts.

If they weren't charging lease fees, the subscribers with only one receiver would be heavily subsidizing the subscribers with many HD DVRs.  The sliding per-box fee (like many cable operators and DISH use) seems to be a much more equitable way of paying for what you're getting as those with lots of fancy boxes are paying for lots of fancy boxes.

• VDP07 likes this

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#18 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

The only 2 fees I don't like is the lease or TV fee you pay each month even if you own the receiver, I understand if you get free equipment then pay the lease fee with 2 year commitment, and the HD fee shouldn't even be there since HD is now the norm, If you're going to charge HD then bring it down to $4 or $5 IMHO.
And the DVR fee is getting out of hand too, how it when from $7 to $8 now $10 is ridiculous. The only way to avoid this fees are to remove the DVR in the account, remove HD service also and only have 1 SD receiver in the account.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
  • damondlt likes this

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#19 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,265 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:20 AM

Although, and with the use of some creative language, I imagine DIRECTV would no doubt try to justifiably explain the upfront "lease fee" as strictly to cover the cost of the receiver equipment (it's hardware and the software development and support over its usage by the subscriber).

Whereas the monthly fee for the boxes are not really termed a "lease fee," but a programming "mirror fee" to each box beyond the first credited one for the convenience of being able to watch programing in multiple locations, ala cable's "additional outlet fee."

Now the monthly "Advanced DVR" fee, I find is much harder to justify than the above, but is likely to be explained by D* as the cost for providing you with advanced receiver functionality. recording, trick-play, LB, etc.., but that should certainly be covered in the upfront equipment "lease fee" and thus a money grab.

And I agree the WH fee is definitely in the same boat as the Advanced DVR fee and nothing but a money grab as well.      

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#20 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

At $888 (Subscriber Acquisition Cost) for a new install, where do you expect that they're going to recover the cost?  The revenue over the first two years is quite a bit less than that after substantial sign-up discounts.

NOT MY PROBLEM! Raise your Minimum Subscription price, Raise ETF fees!
They would do this if they felt upfront cost were a problem.

At $29.99 required minimum subscribed price on a 24 month commitment Directv get $720 off the subscriber and gets their Receiver back when the customer is done.

It doesn't cost $888 to install one H25 receiver and run some coax.
I think that Subscriber price includes the cost of the receiver, even though they recirculate their receivers many many times.

I'm tired of hearing of Poor Directv and the amount of money they would lose.

When a company goes from 4 billion to 3 billion profit , NOT LOSS! a year its hard to feel bad.
When directv is Under par of total operation cost then talk to me about how hard free"leased" upfront equipment is hitting them.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

Protected By... spam firewall...And...