Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I'm tired of DIRECTV's Creative Ways of Digging into my pocket

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
163 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Spike

Spike

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

Well I've done my research.  And if a person in my viewing area wants any current local programming at all whether it is through Directv, Dish Network, Cable, Uverse, etc., -- plus subscriptions to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, and the list could go on, it doesn't take long before the cost of being creative gets you right back up to where a subscription to a single provider is at right now.  I really wish this were not the case, but the reality is.. that is where things stand right now.   The bottom line is, for me, there is no real inexpensive way to view current programing with locals outside of the antenna on the roof option, and using tivos for DVR's. I may do this later on, but for now, I hate to say this, but, I'm just as well off now with Directv than I would be if I were to make some creative changes. My future cost would be within $10 of where I am at right now per month.  And that cost savings would hardly be worth the hassle of the switch. BUMMER!

Holy Cow! The Cubs?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,194 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:51 PM

And the costs of all those alternatives is going to go up much faster over the next few years than Directv service will.  Plus look at how scatter and how many different systems you would have to run.

#123 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

cable company here limits

30/2 = 250 GB a month, exceed 4 months in a row and service is terminated
100/5 = 600GB a month, same termination policy

And ???

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#124 OFFLINE   Contra

Contra

Mentor

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

On the issue of "mirror fees" - pricing is not solely based on cost, but on value. If the programming DirecTV delivers to you has value (and I don't argue that the cost is high) then delivering it to multiple outlets instead of just one has incremental value. If they charged nothing, then they would be giving away value (a cardinal sin in the rules of capitaIism). DirecTV has valued this service at $6 per outlet. Others value their service at different, but roughly analogous, prices.

A briefer way of saying this -- they charge mirroring fees because they can.

#125 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,380 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

A briefer way of saying this -- they charge mirroring fees because they can.

Wouldn't you?

Rich

#126 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,291 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:23 PM

I would...

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#127 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

And the costs of all those alternatives is going to go up much faster over the next few years than Directv service will.  Plus look at how scatter and how many different systems you would have to run.

Not knowing what the future will hold, we can look at current prices for a 3 TV streaming/.OTA setup:

1 year of Amazon Prime - $80 annually (~$6.67/month)

Netflix streaming only - $8/month

PlayOn/PlayLater/PlayMark - $70 once (giving you Hulu, YouTube, and a variety of other content)

Mohu Leaf Antenna - $38 once

3 Roku 3 boxes - $296 once

3 Simple.TV boxes with lifetime guide service - $900 once

Broadband internet - sunk cost (assumed to also be used for other things)

One time cost: $1304

Ongoing monthly cost: $14.67

Presumed current monthly DirecTV cost (obviously YMMV): $120/month

Time to recover one time cost: 12.4 months

This assumes that your viewing choices don't dictate specific channels/programming that you can't get through an on-line method (most live sports for example).  In my case I keep one D* DVR for the Twins and Big 10 Network, down from 4 DVRs.  Is this as convenient as having a single DVR per TV?  No.  Is it currently more cost effective for my household?  Yes.

While I can't address increased future costs, from my own experience I can state that my broadband provider (DSL via local telco) just upped my speed from 3 Mb to 4 Mb for no additional cost ($50/month) with no data caps.

Edited by Tubaman-Z, 09 September 2013 - 08:50 PM.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#128 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:03 PM

DirecTV has just become much less valuable to me. Yesterday my son came out with his H21 and said I could take it, he didn't care to watch anymore. Wow, there goes 50% of the reason I still keep pay TV right there. Plus he represents the next generation, and he just totally dismissed pay TV.

My daughter exactly.  Roku with Netflix and Amazon Student Prime (which she has anyway for its other benefits) is how she watches what she wants.  She is unlikely to ever subscribe to pay TV (no interest in sports).

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV since 1995

<><

#129 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,194 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:46 AM

Not knowing what the future will hold, we can look at current prices for a 3 TV streaming/.OTA setup:

1 year of Amazon Prime - $80 annually (~$6.67/month)
Netflix streaming only - $8/month
PlayOn/PlayLater/PlayMark - $70 once (giving you Hulu, YouTube, and a variety of other content)
Mohu Leaf Antenna - $38 once
3 Roku 3 boxes - $296 once
3 Simple.TV boxes with lifetime guide service - $900 once
Broadband internet - sunk cost (assumed to also be used for other things)

Ongoing monthly cost: $14.67

Time to recover one time cost: 12.4 months

This assumes that your viewing choices don't dictate specific channels/programming that you can't get through an on-line method (most live sports for example). In my case I keep one D* DVR for the Twins and Big 10 Network, down from 4 DVRs. Is this as convenient as having a single DVR per TV? No. Is it currently more cost effective for my household? Yes.

While I can't address increased future costs, from my own experience I can state that my broadband provider (DSL via local telco) just upped my speed from 3 Mb to 4 Mb for no additional cost ($50/month) with no data caps.

Lets look at Netflix alone. They are making hardly any money and haven't raised their rates in ages, yet they have recently signed multiple contracts worth billions more than they where paying before. Either they need another hundred million people to sign up or their rates will increase significantly for streaming very soon. Not by a dollar or two, but by double, triple, maybe even quadruple or more IMHO. I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with A tiered approach for streaming soon. However, unless their contracts are based on how many of each companies shows are actually streamed, that wont do it.There's just no other way for the p&l to work.

Now start thinking about all those companies having to do the same thing because they have all bee signing and will be signing new deals. And Hulu will start charging for more content I bet since they didn't get sold.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#130 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

Lets look at Netflix alone. They are making hardly any money and haven't raised their rates in ages, yet they have recently signed multiple contracts worth billions more than they where paying before. Either they need another hundred million people to sign up or their rates will increase significantly for streaming very soon. Not by a dollar or two, but by double, triple, maybe even quadruple or more IMHO. I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with A tiered approach for streaming soon. However, unless their contracts are based on how many of each companies shows are actually streamed, that wont do it.There's just no other way for the p&l to work.

Now start thinking about all those companies having to do the same thing because they have all bee signing and will be signing new deals. And Hulu will start charging for more content I bet since they didn't get sold.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

As I said, I was addressing only the current state of costs.  Let's use your worst case example of Netflix going up by 4x (to $32/month) and assume that was the rate today.

Ongoing monthly cost: $38.67

Time to recover one time cost: 16 months (3.6 months longer)

It all depends on your viewing needs/desires.  If what you want to view can be satisfied through on-line content (perhaps paired with OTA), I think it will be some time before those costs (incl. content costs and broadband access) meet or exceed current pay TV models, specifically DirecTV.  FWIW - I don't plan to drop DirecTV entirely anytime in the near future due to my own desire for live sports coverage.  And other than cost I am very satisfied with DirecTV.  I have cut back to the Choice package with no premiums and dropped a number of DVRs from my account.  Choices and options are good in the way that they can drive market competition.

Kevin

DirecTV since 1995

<><

#131 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

As I said, I was addressing only the current state of costs.  Let's use your worst case example of Netflix going up by 4x (to $32/month) and assume that was the rate today.

Ongoing monthly cost: $38.67

Time to recover one time cost: 16 months (3.6 months longer)

It all depends on your viewing needs/desires.  If what you want to view can be satisfied through on-line content (perhaps paired with OTA), I think it will be some time before those costs (incl. content costs and broadband access) meet or exceed current pay TV models, specifically DirecTV.  FWIW - I don't plan to drop DirecTV entirely anytime in the near future due to my own desire for live sports coverage.  And other than cost I am very satisfied with DirecTV.  I have cut back to the Choice package with no premiums and dropped a number of DVRs from my account.  Choices and options are good in the way that they can drive market competition.

does you 38.,57 per month cost include the monthly re-occurring for your internet provider? What will happen when they start enforcing caps like numerous providers already had. provider here enforces a 250 gb cap for 30/2 and a 600 gb cap for 100/5

#132 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

It is entertaining to read all these cost analysis, but see very few people consider to analyze simply watching less TV, period. Any real long term costs savings is going to come from simply changing your thinking about TV altogether.

*yes, I realize this isn't the forum for that attitude  :rotfl:

• sigma1914 and Tubaman-Z like this
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#133 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,380 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:02 AM

I would...

You, me and any sane company would.  

Rich

#134 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

does you 38.,57 per month cost include the monthly re-occurring for your internet provider? What will happen when they start enforcing caps like numerous providers already had. provider here enforces a 250 gb cap for 30/2 and a 600 gb cap for 100/5

In my original post on this subject (yesterday - 4 posts up from yours) I stated: "Broadband internet - sunk cost (assumed to also be used for other things)"

If/when broadband providers start to enforce caps (currently my DSL through my local telco has no cap) that has the possibility of changing the equation.  I don't typically plan much for possible future changes of this nature (lumping pay television and internet costs in with utilities such as gas, electric, water, etc) - I focus on the present cost of the bill and what I can do to reduce it.  Others may well choose to take a different view.  I don't see a possible future cap as a reason to not extract as much as I can now for a lower cost.

Kevin

DirecTV since 1995

<><

#135 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:45 AM

It is entertaining to read all these cost analysis, but see very few people consider to analyze simply watching less TV, period. Any real long term costs savings is going to come from simply changing your thinking about TV altogether.

*yes, I realize this isn't the forum for that attitude  :rotfl:

+1 - Earlier in this thread someone mentioned their "grand plan" to reduce pay television costs - a plan that was vetoed by his larger household.  I'd probably pursue a similar plan except that the rest of my household would also veto it.  Free or one-time cost TV (OTA, PlayOn, Roku w/out NetFlix, Amazon, or Hulu+), reading, volunteering, exercise - there are lots of ways to consume less pay television.

Kevin

DirecTV since 1995

<><

#136 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,380 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

+1 - Earlier in this thread someone mentioned their "grand plan" to reduce pay television costs - a plan that was vetoed by his larger household.  I'd probably pursue a similar plan except that the rest of my household would also veto it.  Free or one-time cost TV (OTA, PlayOn, Roku w/out NetFlix, Amazon, or Hulu+), reading, volunteering, exercise - there are lots of ways to consume less pay television.

I guess that was me.  My wife stays with a recently widowed friend once a week, so I was alone watching what I wanted to yesterday.  First I watched the previous night's Giants' football game.  Then, I switched to NetFlix and stayed on it until the Yankees' game had been recording for a couple hours.  That's about what I do each day (aside from the football game).  I've got 12 active HRs and a monthly bill over $200 and I simply don't watch D* all that much.  I spend more time on this forum than I do (willingly) on D*.  

Rich

#137 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:45 AM

I guess that was me.  My wife stays with a recently widowed friend once a week, so I was alone watching what I wanted to yesterday.  First I watched the previous night's Giants' football game.  Then, I switched to NetFlix and stayed on it until the Yankees' game had been recording for a couple hours.  That's about what I do each day (aside from the football game).  I've got 12 active HRs and a monthly bill over $200 and I simply don't watch D* all that much.  I spend more time on this forum than I do (willingly) on D*.  

Rich

Yep - it was you.  I remember the Jets avatar.  :)

Kevin

DirecTV since 1995

<><

#138 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,380 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

Yep - it was you.  I remember the Jets avatar.  :)

That avatar will surely be gone Friday morning.  I haven't seen a much more pitiful game than last week's Jets' game.  I'll leave it up until they lose.  I've been a Jets' fan since their inception and...well you know.

Rich

#139 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,291 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

Lets look at Netflix alone. They are making hardly any money and haven't raised their rates in ages,

It was about <2 that they had the Netflix "scandal" when they raised their rates.....

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#140 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

They'll wait until they reach a critical mass and the price of streaming will go through the roof.  They just haven't got there yet and you can bet Netflix and the same ilk will just realign what people are paying for cable or satellite.  We are talking maximum profits here.  Nobody goes into business to leave money on the table.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...