Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I'm tired of DIRECTV's Creative Ways of Digging into my pocket

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
163 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:12 AM

In my original post on this subject (yesterday - 4 posts up from yours) I stated: "Broadband internet - sunk cost (assumed to also be used for other things)"

If/when broadband providers start to enforce caps (currently my DSL through my local telco has no cap) that has the possibility of changing the equation.  I don't typically plan much for possible future changes of this nature (lumping pay television and internet costs in with utilities such as gas, electric, water, etc) - I focus on the present cost of the bill and what I can do to reduce it.  Others may well choose to take a different view.  I don't see a possible future cap as a reason to not extract as much as I can now for a lower cost.

some cable companies are already enforcing caps, telcos are starting to phase out dsl. you might want to look to the future for tomorrow you may get a disconnect notice that your Telco is shutting down dsl

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

some cable companies are already enforcing caps, telcos are starting to phase out dsl. you might want to look to the future for tomorrow you may get a disconnect notice that your Telco is shutting down dsl

You're right - they could.  But I live in a rural area where cable does not serve a significant portion of the population (too low a population density to string the wires) - so the choice is DSL or satellite internet.  My telco has been expanding DSL service (speeds/coverage) over the past 2 years.  They gave me a 33% bump in speed for free within the past 3 months.  I'm not concerned - although I understand the issue you have raised is very real for many.

"wingrider" - Can I assume that means "Goldwing"?  I ride an '82 GL1100.  I call it the "Oldwing".  ;)

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#143 OFFLINE   MrWindows

MrWindows

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

Honestly, I'm waiting for CenturyLink Prism to become available in my area, which should reduce my bill quite a bit. I'm going to start looking hard at going to Amazon Prime/Netflix though, as I already have Prime. I do *a bit* of downloading, but right now I subscribe to all the premiums for the shows I like to watch. DirecTV does make it convenient versus stitching together a bunch of different services, but Home Servers are making it easier all the time.

I don't like having to pay the DVR fee, when I already paid a premium for the DVR box, but I can live with it.

I don't like having to pay for HD, even though it gets credited back, because when my credit back period is up and I don't call in to renew it, my bill will go up $10 that month. It's a PITA.

I think having to pay a WHDVR fee is ridiculous, especially since I run an 'unsupported' network.

I don't like not being able to upgrade my equipment at least every two years for free, because I happened to add another box 18 months ago and had my contract extended.

I don't like having to pay a per outlet fee, period. If I buy the box, I should be able to connect it up. If I choose to lease it, fine, but I should have the option to pay it one time or pay it monthly.

I don't like new subscribers getting a better deal and newer, free equipment when I've been a subscriber for many years.

I don't like having to pay for a bunch of sports programming I never use. A la carte now, please.

I want to be able to opt out of pay-per-view and home shopping channels.

Updating the program guide on 8 receivers is another PITA. I should be able to have more control via a centralized web browser management screen. It's 2013 for Christ's sake!

Sony XBR-55HX920

Sony KDL-55HX850
Sony KDL-46Z4100
Sony KDL-32XBR9

Sony SMP-N100 (Semi-Retired)

Vizio E260MV
Vizio VM230XVT
Mitsubishi CK-3514R CRT (Retired)
HR23-700;HR21-100;H23-600;H21-100;H21-200

Western Digital DX4000 NAS w/Serviio (12TB RAID5)
Seagate Theater+ (Retired)
Seagate BlackArmorNAS 400 (6TB RAID5) (Retired)

#144 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,475 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:50 PM

Honestly, I'm waiting for CenturyLink Prism to become available in my area, which should reduce my bill quite a bit. I'm going to start looking hard at going to Amazon Prime/Netflix though, as I already have Prime. I do *a bit* of downloading, but right now I subscribe to all the premiums for the shows I like to watch. DirecTV does make it convenient versus stitching together a bunch of different services, but Home Servers are making it easier all the time.

I don't like having to pay the DVR fee, when I already paid a premium for the DVR box, but I can live with it.

I don't like having to pay for HD, even though it gets credited back, because when my credit back period is up and I don't call in to renew it, my bill will go up $10 that month. It's a PITA.

I think having to pay a WHDVR fee is ridiculous, especially since I run an 'unsupported' network.

I don't like not being able to upgrade my equipment at least every two years for free, because I happened to add another box 18 months ago and had my contract extended.

I don't like having to pay a per outlet fee, period. If I buy the box, I should be able to connect it up. If I choose to lease it, fine, but I should have the option to pay it one time or pay it monthly.

I don't like new subscribers getting a better deal and newer, free equipment when I've been a subscriber for many years.

I don't like having to pay for a bunch of sports programming I never use. A la carte now, please.

Updating the program guide on 8 receivers is another PITA. I should be able to have more control via a centralized web browser management screen. It's 2013 for Christ's sake!

Good luck finding that "perfect" provider.  seems like you want all the bells and whistles free of charge....

• carlsbad_bolt_fan likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#145 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

<snip>

</snip>

You can't opt out but you can always customize your guide to not show them.  Not perfect, but at least you don't have to look at them.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV since 1995

<><

#146 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:36 PM

Well, around here my cable company doesn't charge MRV HD or DVR fees.  But they do charge 25 a month per cable dvr box.  Get two and tell me which service is cheaper?  I know that's not the same everywhere, but in my area, its just ridiculous. Add in the fact they only have 20 hours of hd recording ability and its a joke.

#147 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

You're right - they could.  But I live in a rural area where cable does not serve a significant portion of the population (too low a population density to string the wires) - so the choice is DSL or satellite internet.  My telco has been expanding DSL service (speeds/coverage) over the past 2 years.  They gave me a 33% bump in speed for free within the past 3 months.  I'm not concerned - although I understand the issue you have raised is very real for many.

"wingrider" - Can I assume that means "Goldwing"?  I ride an '82 GL1100.  I call it the "Oldwing".  ;)

Bought my first in 1976 - a GL1000, currently on my 3rd a 2010 GL1800 with 105K on the clock waiting for the 2014's to show up. Doing the Iron Butt 1200 this weekend for the 6th time

Edited by wingrider01, 12 September 2013 - 09:39 AM.

#148 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,475 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

Well, around here my cable company doesn't charge MRV HD or DVR fees. But they do charge 25 a month per cable dvr box. Get two and tell me which service is cheaper? I know that's not the same everywhere, but in my area, its just ridiculous. Add in the fact they only have 20 hours of hd recording ability and its a joke.

Where do you think you Cable company hides these fees?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#149 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:19 PM

Where do you think you Cable company hides these fees?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

My point exactly. Every provider has them its just a matter of if they break it out.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#150 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,415 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:31 PM

Just look at what Frontier tried with their DSL a few years ago...fortunately they couldn't take the heat and backed down.

#151 OFFLINE   Spike

Spike

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:29 AM

A couple of things that would make greatly reducing Directv's role in my house difficult would be, we would have great difficulty in knowing what new shows were coming out and it would also be difficult to determine where to find the shows we would want.  Although, I did see that Roku is now providing a unified search that looks for programs across platforms such as Netflix, Amazon, & Hulu Plus, which would really help.  But the problems is still real. And the new program releases still would be difficult to know about.  

On the positive front: I really like what I'm seeing with Tivo's new Roamio DVR's.  Although not having Amazon Prime on them is a huge negative.  Still, tempting though.

Holy Cow! The Cubs?

#152 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,172 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

My point exactly. Every provider has them its just a matter of if they break it out.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

I think that deep down inside everyone knows you have to pay for what you get.

The thing about all these things being broken down in such detail kinda puts it in your face for you to look at all the time.

Remember the saying "Out of sight, Out of mind". If you don't see it you tend not to think and dwell on it.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#153 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:15 AM

This past weekend I took one more step to weaning ourselves off expensive TV. I logged on to my account, dropped to the next to lowest package, dropped the HD Extra pack, and any other options I could find. That netted me almost $20 a month. I then was forced to call DirecTV because they STILL won't let you drop equipment online. I dropped a back room receiver, and when I was asked why by the rep, I told him I was simply paying too much money for TV and needed to cut back. He said "hold on, let me see what else I can do for you". Came back and wanted to know if I needed better internet service. I told him ATT didn't offer anything good in my neighborhood. He checked, agreed, and said "how about I offer you $20 off a month for the next 12 months". I couldn't believe what I just heard. I said I don't want to do anything that will generate a 2yr contract, and he said no strings, just $20.

Well, upshot is, that's nice. My bill is now $40 a month lower for at least a year and a phone call to DirecTV, for the first time in years for  me, was something other that an exercise in pure frustration. So, chalk one up to a very friendly, native English speaking gentleman at DirecTV who single-handedly ensured I'd be a customer for one more year.

Edited by JeffBowser, 17 September 2013 - 08:09 AM.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#154 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

<snip>

Well, upshot is, that's nice. My bill is now $40 a month lower for at least a year and a phone call to DirecTV, for the first time in years for  me, was something other that an exercise in pure frustration. So, chalk one up to a very friendly, native English speaking gentleman at DirecTV who single-handedly ensured I'd be a customer for one more year.

</snip>

Nicely done Jeff.  It's all about reviewing your needs and reducing your consumption to that level.  There are quite a lot of savings to be had.  Getting the $240/year kicker from D* was particularly nice.

Kevin

DirecTV since 1995

<><

#155 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:30 PM

Nicely done Jeff.  It's all about reviewing your needs and reducing your consumption to that level.  There are quite a lot of savings to be had.  Getting the $240/year kicker from D* was particularly nice.

I lost three channels I frequented to some extent, one on which I even had a series record set: H2, Military, and NatGeoWild. Of course they're not gonna pull Oprah, or a shopping channel  :nono2:  but I do put my money where my mouth is, TV is not that important.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#156 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

I lost three channels I frequented to some extent, one on which I even had a series record set: H2, Military, and NatGeoWild. Of course they're not gonna pull Oprah, or a shopping channel  :nono2:  but I do put my money where my mouth is, TV is not that important.

+1. Lots of life to be lived beyond the tube..er...panel/projector/whatever.

Edited by Tubaman-Z, 18 September 2013 - 12:49 PM.

Kevin

DirecTV since 1995

<><

#157 OFFLINE   ohpuckhead

ohpuckhead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

I am amazed at how many ways DIRECTV has found to dig into my pocket to get more dollars out of it.  I can understand a charge for the equipment protection plan. But the rest of these additional fees, really?  Just because it's accepted doesn't make getting socked by this stuff every month a GOOD thing.  A DVR fee? Really? Didn't I pay for the DVR fee, when I made the transaction that took that DVR off the shelf and put it into my home? And if that take off the shelf fee wasn't enough for you, then why didn't you charge me for what that DVR is actually worth? No, really! Charge me for what it is worth. I'm tired of this game! This monthly FEE stuff is slowly bleeding me to death. And the Whole Home DVR Service? Didn't I pay for that when they came into my house and charged me that extra fee for the work they had to do to install the new Whole Home equipment, when it first came out? Hey, Directv, I should be charging you for the right to come into MY home. My home has value. Let's call it the IN MY HOME FEE! I'll charge it to you every time you call my house or one of your workers steps foot inside my door. It's about time we turn this thing around. Further, Didn't I pay more for the DVR that you charge me monthly for rather than paying less for a non DVR receiver? And didn't I pay extra for my "Advanced HD Receiver" when I paid for it rather than a less expensive SD receiver? Your HD fee is really creative! Even T.V manufacturers could do it! They could charge me a monthly fee, because the t.v I just purchased can show HD programing. If they did, they'd be doing exactly what you are doing!  It's insane! Hey, stop producing HD equipment, if you don't want me to use it! And don't I pay for the right to use your equipment by agreeing to stay with DIRECTV for two more years, when ever I add any additional equipment? And didn't I pay additionally for each TV, when I purchased those TV's? It amazes me that I am paying YOUR for the right to hook DIRECTV equipment up to each of MY TV's. I should charge you.  My T.V's are as valuable as your Directv equipment! And your monthly fee is not just a one time fee either.  You charge me for the PRIVILEGE of using my T.V's every single month! I am convinced. If DIRECTV could think of any other creative language to print on a piece of paper in order to charge me an additional fee, they would! Whoa! Big Bucks!! Big Big Bucks! I don't like it, and eventually, as my family begins to head off to college soon, I will be cutting way back on Directv, or even eliminating DIRECTV all together. And yes, I realize cable and other T.V programing providers do the same types of things. One thing is for sure. I will be putting a damper on this insanity one way or the other! I refuse to let programing distributers dig deeper and deeper into my wallet

A Listing of DIRECTV's creative ways to make additional money from my account

Additional TV - Charge

Additional TV - Charge

Additional TV - Charge

Advanced Receiver-HD -Charge

Advanced Receiver-DVR - Charge

DIRECTV Protection Plan - Charge

DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR Service - Charge"

BEST POST EVER on any topic!!!

#158 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,415 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

Let us know how it works out getting directv to pay you fees.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
  • Rich likes this

#159 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,196 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

I think this topic is getting kinda old.  Like a conversation that just keeps repeating itself.  If you don't like the fees or the prices, don't pay them.  If you didn't do your homework before you subscribed, that's nobody's fault but your own.  If you can't afford it, that's your own fault.

Rich 

• wingrider01 likes this

#160 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,196 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

BEST POST EVER on any topic!!!

If that's the best post you've ever seen...

Rich

spam firewall