Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Not sure what im looking at, Vizio M3D651SV odd display

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

New set, about 3 months old.  Its hard to see, not all scenes do it. Example, youll see it on a HD channel, like foggy smoke, spilling out, almost artifacting of sorts.. odd thing is i dont see this bahavior from the BD player, or even a streaming prgram via an app.  Some shows wiorse than others and becuase I see it so much im looking for it and its driving me nuts.  I thought perhaps the TV itself, but as mentioned i dont see it when watching a BD, just from the source of tv, in this case a HR34.  All units running into a Yamaha RX A1000 and out to the TV.  I have made sure there is no processing being done at receiver side, even swapped out the HDMI from DTV to the AVR, still the same.  I took a picture of this, best i could between screens loading up so you can see it and prhaps shed some light on what i am looking at. Notice the fogging center to left of screen?.. If this scene was moving, it would almost look like these section are morphing, pixelating of sorts. very odd.  Signal from satelite, is strong at 99%.  This image was the best i could get with cell, but i wish i was able to grab one during a say for instance falling skies, horrid in some sections.. Any ideas what this is?...

Thanks guys

Attached Thumbnails

• 20130811_091240.jpg

Edited by Datagg, 11 August 2013 - 03:10 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

See the review here:

http://reviews.cnet....7-35435355.html

Is it possible that this is a reflection from a window or door light coming in from somewhere ?

How did you get that picture and not have a menu (s ) on the screen ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

See the review here:

http://reviews.cnet....7-35435355.html

Is it possible that this is a reflection from a window or door light coming in from somewhere ?

How did you get that picture and not have a menu (s ) on the screen ?

Thanks for reply... No, its not reflection, I wish it was. the high gloss screen really never was a factor for us.  It could be day or night, some shows worse than others... but even top HD shows, say last nights "strike back" would do this at times.. very odd, as i would think if this a TV issue, it would be seen from a BD source, ps3, 360 etc also, yet it wont do that. very odd, driving me nuts. As for the screen, i took that shot a second before the showroom would completley load up,  it was hard to to time it, took a few tries, but that was the best screen to show this issue as others tried are so hard to capture and actual see.

PS - By the way, for those who know my rants on the HR34, i just got a new one yesterday as they confirmed that my last hard drive was bad.. That would make me one unlucky person, as this is now the 3rd HR34. Anyways, all others suffered the same fate. So far so good, no buffer locking up etc..Works great, yet i worry on this, it needs the newest firmware update which im sure will come in tonight. crossing fingers all holds out.

Also, This TV issue occured with the other 34's also.  Its annoying, and of course once your eye focuses on it, its like a nightmare from hell no matter how i look at it.

Thanks guys.

Edited by Datagg, 11 August 2013 - 03:43 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

Have you tried to put the HDMI cable into a different socket on the TV and see if it makes any difference ?

If you have them for a test hook up the HR34 with a set of component cables ( red, blue and green for video and red and white for audio ) and see what that picture looks like. You don't need an expensive one. This cable will transmit up to 1080i which is as high as all broadcast channels go. The only 1080p programs are PPV.

I have my 46" Samsung running with those now.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

Have you tried to put the HDMI cable into a different socket on the TV and see if it makes any difference ?

If you have them for a test hook up the HR34 with a set of component cables ( red, blue and green for video and red and white for audio ) and see what that picture looks like. You don't need an expensive one. This cable will transmit up to 1080i which is as high as all broadcast channels go. The only 1080p programs are PPV.

I have my 46" Samsung running with those now.

Yesterday, i did try an extra HDMi cable I had (high speed-3d), ran it from DTV to the TV.  Still showed same degraded visuals. I have it now again going from DTV to my AVR, same results. Again the screen looks great via all sources minus from the HR34. i havent tried the component cables yet. Wghats throwing this all off for me is its only seen via the DTV source. Now some channels look worse, like ABC, VS Fox... Even some HD channels produce that odd, what I would call pixelating, yet its mroe like a fog, that blooms... yet blocky looking when it grows.  i tried even to flip on proccesing to try to eliminate a degraded signal, yet didnt help..Tried flipping on setting on TV, to help noice reduction, yet that doesnt help either. I am wondering if the LED's are just firing wrong with the color, yet then I can't see that from other sources that produce clean screen. Completley baffled.  Wish i could take mroe imgages for you guys to see so you can see how it builds on the screen like a wave of fogginess..Hard to explain. 

Again thanks for all your help guys. I appreciate all your thoughts.

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:47 PM

What resolutions do you have checked in the HR34 ?

Menu, Settings, Display, Resolutions ?

Do you have Native turned on or off ?

Menu, Settings, Display, Video ?

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

In the TV setup have you tried turning this ( Dejudder (smooth) processing ) off and see if it makes a difference ?

Have you tried setting this

refresh rate 120Hz

to 60 if it has that option ?

The reason I ask about this one is that I watch the stock market program on 353 and 355 most of the day. They have a scrolling set of numbers and letter that go across the screen all the time. They were always jerky and difficult to read. When I set my set to 60 instead of 120 they are now as smooth as silk. Bottom line is that sometimes reprocessing a signal makes it worse instead of better.

You might also look at some of the "Picture" settings available.

I have a Vizio and there are several. Some of them are not customizable and some are. I chose one that is.

Before you move anything, either write down the settings are or  make sure the screen has a "reset" for a choice. If it has a reset choice and you mess it up, you can choose that and it will put it back like it was.

Edited by jimmie57, 11 August 2013 - 08:01 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

Hi jimmie... yes i have messed with settings, yet nothing changes that look. I took a few more images during ice road truckers... Hard to get good image, but you can see the foggy, pixelating effect pretty good. The appearance i noticed always seems more intensified during night scenes..Probably just because i have a dark color to see it clearer. I am starting to think there is some uniformity, or blooming issues, yet i read that more like light bleeding and this is more like foggy pixelating.  I did try today to go straight from DVR to tv with a new HDMI and then composite and they didn't change anything unfortunately.  I am thinking i need to call Vizio, but without a proper description of what this is called or a closer observation, i sound like, well here, just shooting out ideas on what it looks like.   so frustrating.

here are a few xtra photos showing the worst of this when it occurs.

http://i269.photobuc..._215520_LLS.jpg

http://i269.photobuc..._215038_LLS.jpg

http://i269.photobuc...0811_214517.jpg

http://i269.photobuc...0811_214420.jpg

http://i269.photobuc...0811_091240.jpg

#9 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

Do you have another TV that you can hook the HR34 up to and see if it does it on there also ?

After looking at those pics I would definitely call Vizio, except that you say it does not do it on anything else, Blu Ray, etc.

Since that was Ice Road Truckers, was it snowing in those pictures ?

Do you have any adjustments in the TV for the "Black level" in any way ?

#10 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

I am on the Vizio site: http://store.vizio.c...sv.html#support  and it says your manual is on the TV and it shows how to access it.

I am going to look at it and see if I can see any adjustment that might help.

#11 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

No other TV's... It does do it on a BD also, yet very hard to see compared to a tv show. I have noticed though it always seems worse during a night scenes, that IGT was at night also, no snow.. or during falling skies for instance, at night it really pops and visible... But from other sources, or even HBO for instance like last night we watched true blood,  it was doing that also, yet harder to see, but that rolling fog look i call it is still present but at a much lessor degree. All adjustments for the black such as smart dimming, ambient light sensor, etc hasn't eliminated that look.

Didn't get the set to long ago, march 30th to be exact, i want to call Vizio just dont know how to explain to them what i am seeing. Im sure they will want images, hence why I took so many.

#12 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

On page 27 it show that you can turn MPEG noise reduction on or off. I believe that these are MPEG files. Try tuning that on and see if it makes a difference. You can always turn it back off.

#13 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

I am on the Vizio site: http://store.vizio.c...sv.html#support  and it says your manual is on the TV and it shows how to access it.

I am going to look at it and see if I can see any adjustment that might help.

i have accessed and tried every setting there is to try to eliminate this... Thanks for all your help, sure do appreciate it. 

On page 27 it show that you can turn MPEG noise reduction on or off. I believe that these are MPEG files. Try tuning that on and see if it makes a difference. You can always turn it back off.

Did that, one of the first things I tried.

Edited by Datagg, 12 August 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

Call Vizio and see if others have reported this to them.

Here is their Info.

(877) 878-4946 (TOLL-FREE)

techsupport@VIZIO.com

www.VIZIO.com/support

#15 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

My crappy little 15" Craig brand HDTV does this, too. Please don't take my next statement as an insult, but the set isn't that good. It's a bargain tv. After reading AVSforum, I don't think you're alone.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#16 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

i have accessed and tried every setting there is to try to eliminate this... Thanks for all your help, sure do appreciate it. 

Did that, one of the first things I tried.

Note that there are 2 noise Reductions on that screen. One says Noise Reduction and the other one says MPEG NR.

#17 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

My crappy little 15" Craig brand HDTV does this, too. Please don't take my next statement as an insult, but the set isn't that good. It's a bargain tv. After reading AVSforum, I don't think you're alone.

No insult at all... I new what I may be possibly getting into with Vizio, but i and wife did allot of viewing before we got this. I don't recall seeing this at all. began like a month ago. of course i wasn't as fine tuned to it as i am now, i see and read allot of situation of lcd panels, trying to give this a name from all the situations, yet not one really defines what i am seeing. Looks like i will be giving Vizio a call.

Edited by Datagg, 12 August 2013 - 01:41 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:49 PM

Update. Sent Vizio the images and they confirm an issue. They will be calling in 5-7 business days to set up repair. Will let all know how it goes.

Thanks for all the help.

#19 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

Glad you called them and they are going to fix you up. Those pics were awful.

When they repair it,  it should look very good.

I have a 37" in my bedroom and after I got it and adjusted it I had to go adjust my Samsung to get it to look as good as the Vizio.

I believe they will come to your house for this size TV.

#20 OFFLINE   Aztec Pilot

Aztec Pilot

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:52 AM

I run 9 vizio tvs in my home. Never a problem with any of them. I lightening strike recently knocked out the hdmi in two of them. I took them to a local tv repair shop. Just a guy in his garage. He replaced the main boards and updated to the latest firmware for $350. He indicated that Vizio is easy to work with. Also said that their equipment is highly repairable. He recommends them when people ask. He also told me that a lot of the components are the same ones in other name brand sets.. I do not consider them to be a discount brand. They are a major player in the tv market.
---------------------------------------------
My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...