Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Pre-wired home with cat 5 issue

networking prewire help cat 5

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:34 AM

And I (and others) have said to run into a PoE enabled patch panel is rare and the exception.  Especially if you're talking about a home installation where I doubt anyone has a Telco/wiring closet/data center arrangement in their home which provides 48V DC power nor have I seen any structured cabinets which have a PoE patch panel option.  So again, in the home application, the statement patch panels have no electronic parts is valid and I would argue that in a business/enterprise environment the same assumption can be made as per the reasons I've stated, it's rare to see a PoE enabled patch panel.

there is a 120 volt outlet in the wiring closet with APC 1500 UPS that functions just fine, the POE panel comes with a power injector that inputs 120v outputs 48V DC, have 3 installed in my wiring closet, heck I even have a power injector that converts 120V to 12V DC in there. Just did a switch upgrade of 10 standard panels to 10 POE panels for 1/10 the cost of swapping out the businesses Cisco 37XX layer 3 switches.

I disagree with the wiring being terminated in the Dmark panel, that is poor construction and even poorer planning. The Telco here will charge for a service call if anything has been touched on their external box at a residential address which is normally no charge unless they walk into the house.

If the builder assumed what you say, then it is the builders fault for not verifying what was on the build plan and requested by the buyer, if it is written down in the specifications the builder needs to make it right

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

• Registered
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

As yet another Cisco network admin, I'm enjoying this thread. Sounds like PPPI on the builder's part. Of course in my (and any of our) cases we'd be pretty clear about where we'd want the IDF in our homes but to a layman it'd be tough in this situation. The demarc being outside is pretty lousy and I'd be on the horn with the builder to fix that pretty quickly.

And to this:

There is no way to make a cable that would use the phone lines as incoming and outgoing data lines is there?

no network cables can't be spliced like that. they must be separate. 

Au contraire. Until we had a full rewiring of campus...we would indeed splice out a pair of jacks on a lead, punch 4/5 on a phone block and 12/36 on the network block. It ain't pretty, but when you've only got one drop...and you could make a pretty ugly cable to do the same.

Edited by RasputinAXP, 16 August 2013 - 09:31 AM.

"Belligerent and numerous."

SlingTV, Tablo and Plex to Roku 3s and Chromecasts on a Vizio 42" in the living room and a Toshiba 32" in my bedroom. Xbox 360 client on a Westinghouse 42" in the game room. Tablets EVERYWHERE!

I used to update the Dish Network FAQ but not anymore.

#53 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

Au contraire. Until we had a full rewiring of campus...we would indeed splice out a pair of jacks on a lead, punch 4/5 on a phone block and 12/36 on the network block. It ain't pretty, but when you've only got one drop...and you could make a pretty ugly cable to do the same.

I'm hate to come into someone IDF room and find undocumented 'tricks' like that ! Instead of doing your job you forced to spend time for research and scratching your head how the hell I would handle the mess?! :D

#54 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

• Registered
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

I'm hate to come into someone IDF room and find undocumented 'tricks' like that ! Instead of doing your job you forced to spend time for research and scratching your head how the hell I would handle the mess?! :D

lol, back in the day it was ALL undocumented tricks. Now that we have a budget we wire the daylights out of a place, but 10-12 years ago when we couldn't convince people to pay for a new drop? Man.

(besides, who had to document it? it was way obvious when we did it... :rolling: )

Edited by RasputinAXP, 16 August 2013 - 03:19 PM.

"Belligerent and numerous."

SlingTV, Tablo and Plex to Roku 3s and Chromecasts on a Vizio 42" in the living room and a Toshiba 32" in my bedroom. Xbox 360 client on a Westinghouse 42" in the game room. Tablets EVERYWHERE!

I used to update the Dish Network FAQ but not anymore.

#55 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

Oh, man ! Shame on the guys ! :)

#56 OFFLINE   zx10guy

zx10guy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

there is a 120 volt outlet in the wiring closet with APC 1500 UPS that functions just fine, the POE panel comes with a power injector that inputs 120v outputs 48V DC, have 3 installed in my wiring closet, heck I even have a power injector that converts 120V to 12V DC in there. Just did a switch upgrade of 10 standard panels to 10 POE panels for 1/10 the cost of swapping out the businesses Cisco 37XX layer 3 switches.

I disagree with the wiring being terminated in the Dmark panel, that is poor construction and even poorer planning. The Telco here will charge for a service call if anything has been touched on their external box at a residential address which is normally no charge unless they walk into the house.

If the builder assumed what you say, then it is the builders fault for not verifying what was on the build plan and requested by the buyer, if it is written down in the specifications the builder needs to make it right

There you go with all things network has to revolve around Cisco.  As I said there are other alternatives which more than satisfies most people's requirements (businesses included) without having to pay the Cisco price tag.

In your eyes, it's poor construction.  In the eyes of the builder, they don't care unless you're going to pay extra to have it wired in the way we all know is the proper way to do it.  I don't know what Telco you deal with but that's not the case in my area.  And I can't see how they would charge for anything if the home's wiring is on the customer side of the NID.  Have you ever looked at a NID?  On the one installed outside of my home, the NID has two compartments.  One is labeled customer access and the other is labeled Telco access.  The customer side is accessed by using a Philips or flat head screw driver.  The Telco side requires the use of a nut driver to unscrew the bolt.  Even the troubleshooting steps provided by my Telco instructs their customers to do some testing on the customer access side before calling them in for service.

If the home buyer didn't put it in writing, the yes, the builder can assume or do what ever it thinks is appropriate.  I suspect if the OP had this in writing, there wouldn't be all this discussion.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: networking, prewire, help, cat 5

Protected By... spam firewall...And...