Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper over wifi

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Calvin386

Calvin386

Godfather

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:19 AM

I would like to get rid of my DSL and land line.

Do you guys think I could run my hopper with cellular service using the wifi dongle? I have AT&T LTE service.

I occasionally use my sling box. Could it handle it?

Thanks...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

Do you guys think I could run my hopper with cellular service using the wifi dongle? I have AT&T LTE service.

Thanks...

I really don't know if this will work, but would be interested in hearing your results.  I suppose you would be using your phone as a "Hot Spot", which would look just like another WIFI access point to the Hopper.  But keep in mind if it does work and you plan to stream programs via Sling, you will run the risk of large data usage, which might end up costing you a bundle.  LTE is a limited resource with measured service and usage caps to discourage this practice.  You probably have a 2 or 3 GB allowance.  At some point, the price goes up, the data gets throttled down or probably both.

All I want is a Perfect DVR!

#3 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:56 AM

When in a strong LTE area, I can watch DISH anywhere on my iPhone. LTE can handle the speeds. The throttling and other aspects of high data usage will be interesting to hear about. Even if you have an unlimited plan, your data speeds will get throttled around the 2GB mark from AT&T.

#4 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

Thanks...

No. The dongle is WIFI only and does not work with LTE.

#5 OFFLINE   Calvin386

Calvin386

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:49 PM

Yes I plan on using a phone as a hotspot.  I may even get the MiFi hot spot from AT&T. 

I have the 10 gig data plan and I can go as high as 20 gigs on my plan.  I only use my slingbox occasionally(vacations etc...). 

I am curious as to how well the wifi dongle from Dish works and if anyone else has tried this. 

@thomasjk...I don't plan on connecting the Hoppper directly to LTE.  The Hopper WIFI dongle would go through either my phone as a hotspot or a dedicated hotspot from AT&T. 

Thanks...

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

I think you'll be the first person who could tell us how good or bad it will works.

Edited by P Smith, 12 August 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Calvin386

Calvin386

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:21 PM

I guess I'll be a pioneer in hopper over cellular.

#8 OFFLINE   foghorn2

foghorn2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

I guess I'll be a pioneer in hopper over cellular.

Until Charlie offers it to ya.

"I will save you everyone. and then you can pay me when I'm done" -Stuart Adamson

#9 OFFLINE   Calvin386

Calvin386

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:42 PM

I haven't had time to work on this yet but I was wondering.  If I had no internet hooked to my hopper, would there be any problems besides no slingbox?

#10 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:30 AM

Other than any of the apps that use the internet and no streaming on demand, no there wont be any problem.

Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

spam firewall