Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Installing swm unit hook up how?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   john510

john510

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

Im installing a new slimeline swm unit just with one receiver do I have to hook up the power inserter to the dirctv unit or just to the swm splitter?

this pic is of the 2 way splitter I am using a 4 way

do I follow the red line of blue?

Attached Thumbnails

• swm-setup2.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

You could follow the red line and skip the splitter completely.

A.K.A VOS

#3 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,192 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

My unit is hooked up with the coax from the dish to the power inserter and from the power inserter to the DTV receiver , no splitter on this unit as Veryoldschool stated.

I have read that the splitter and hook up the DVR using the Blue line you indicate on the sketch is preferred when you have the Whole Home DVR service.

Edited by jimmie57, 12 August 2013 - 02:27 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   john510

john510

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

My unit is hooked up with the coax from the dish to the power inserter and from the power inserter to the TV, no splitter on this unit as Veryoldschool stated.

I have read that the splitter and hook up the DVR using the Blue line you indicate on the sketch is preferred when you have the Whole Home DVR service.

no actually I just have the HD unit no dvr and only one unit..

#5 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,192 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

no actually I just have the HD unit no dvr and only one unit..

Yes, I understood that. The hookup is the same with an HD or an HDDVR using SWM

Edited by jimmie57, 12 August 2013 - 02:28 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

"The why" seems to come from the DC block in the PI being too close to either the SWiM or the DECA in/on a receiver which ends up being a poor RF match.

In both cases using a longer length of RG6 will resolve this.

A.K.A VOS

#7 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,192 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

"The why" seems to come from the DC block in the PI being too close to either the SWiM or the DECA in/on a receiver which ends up being a poor RF match.

In both cases using a longer length of RG6 will resolve this.

My RG6 from the PI to the DTV receiver is just 3 feet long.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

My RG6 from the PI to the DTV receiver is just 3 feet long.

For the SWiM to PI DirecTV recommends 15'.

I don't know of a distance for the DECA to PI, but DirecTV's work-around is to use a 2-way splitter. Not all have problems with short coax.

A splitter is just another way of adding a resistive component to the impedance to overcome the cap in the DC block.

A.K.A VOS

#9 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,192 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

For the SWiM to PI DirecTV recommends 15'.

I don't know of a distance for the DECA to PI, but DirecTV's work-around is to use a 2-way splitter. Not all have problems with short coax.

A splitter is just another way of adding a resistive component to the impedance to overcome the cap in the DC block.

Since I do not have Whole Home DVR my unit has worked fine the way it is hooked up since the end of May this year.

spam firewall