Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DVDs and Games no longer from Blockbuster by mail

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 858 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

Just got the message.  No more by mail...........shucks!

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

I also just got the same email.  All DVD and Games by mail ending on Sept 19.  Can't say it was a great service to begin with.  Once the stores in the area closed it became very marginal with the long waits for Blu Ray DVDs. 

Much better deal just using RedBox in my area along with the coupons it puts them at $1 each.  Might be time to look at some additional cost cutting on Dish.  Between Dish and Internet service,  I am close to $200/mo.  Just had to add the service plan when one of my 722s died.  

Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#3 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:00 PM

As it happens, my BB@H was automatically canceled this weekend after the 6 month half off promo ended.  I got the email today anyhow.

I still have a BB store about 8 miles away so I could trade the mailed DVD for a BluRay but that's a gallon of gas with 2 round trips.

The DVD service was really annoying, so I won't miss that.  If they reduce the price by half, I'd probably sign up just for the channels included.  It would certainly make the wife happy!!

#4 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 516 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

This is the 1st I've heard of this. So no more Blockbuster Blu-Rays via mail? So that means streaming only & to get that, you must have a DVR, right? Then that means for those of us who don't have a DVR, we're out of luck, right? So is there any way then to opt out of this part of the service to save the $10 fee?

Ken

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

#5 OFFLINE   Smegal

Smegal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

I did not receive any email regarding the discontinuation of the Blockbuster by mail service. Is this for just the Dish Blockbuster program?

#6 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 733 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

This is the 1st I've heard of this. So no more Blockbuster Blu-Rays via mail? So that means streaming only & to get that, you must have a DVR, right? Then that means for those of us who don't have a DVR, we're out of luck, right? So is there any way then to opt out of this part of the service to save the $10 fee?

Ken

Can't you cancel your blockbuster portion?

[ You'll lose the extra channels, tho]

chris

#7 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:09 PM

If you use the DVD service and don't want to see it go, I would suggest letting them know. I just did.

There are promises of expanded options on the streaming front, but with limited rights, the DVD library gave us a pretty complete selection. I would put up a bit of a fight before it is gone for good.

#8 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:12 PM

Ken

Well, aside from the 20ish channels it adds depending on your other subscriptions.

The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#9 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:14 AM

I use it and did not get an email as of 8:00 last night.

#10 OFFLINE   ggotch5445

ggotch5445

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:40 AM

Yes, I just received my email, today, noting the end of the disc by mail part of BBAH.

While understanding the likely reasons for discontinuing the program in September, I am very disappointed.

It was very convenient to quickly add a movie title, to my queue, whenever I saw a movie trailer, read a review, or got a recommendation from a friend. The queue was a maintained list that helped to ensure that I would eventually see a film that I thought looked interesting at some point. I probably will miss out on seeing many films simply because I will now not have that ongoing "list", to keep me reminded, and supplied, with interesting films- both old and new, big box office and smaller independent movies.

And as yet, there is no streaming capability that measures up to Blu-ray, or even DVD, when it comes to picture/sound quality, AND depth of title availability.

The streaming capabilities of Dish's BBAH, is a great service- one we use a lot in fact, but is simply one choice of what has been a great total multimedia option.

#11 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:27 AM

Talked to a CSR this AM and they ARE getting complaints - she advised to let your voice be heard.  Still over a month away for this to be final ~

feedback@customermail.dishnetwork.com

My email read something like this ~

RE: DVS by mail

"I have heard that Dish is considering removing this feature from your Blockbuster at Home package - please reconsider.  The DVDs by mail were the only option for customers to get the movies not owned by Starz, Epix, or the other movie channels that are included in streaming.

Please don't end the DVD by mail service - I have encouraged friends to sign up for Dish and this package was one of the main selling points."

Edited by pmjones, 13 August 2013 - 09:29 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   Crotulus

Crotulus

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

Looks like Dish is going to save me $10 by giving me another reason to drop the BlockBuster package. The blu-rays by mail were the only thing really keeping me in the package ever since HDNet Movies dropped out and got watered down in the regular packages. The Epix channels are ok, but I've got all the Marvel movies on Blu so they are kind of useless. We do watch Palladia, but I've seen a number of concerts repeated on the VH1 channels. I live in the sticks so the streaming part of the package does not do me any good. I'll just give Red Box a go for the occasional movie for he kids.

#13 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 299 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

Just got the message.  No more by mail...........shucks!

I know this may have caught you by surprise and the concerns you may have. We are moving away from the discs to focus on the 15 movie channels, 6 entertainment channels and expanding On-Demand and streaming options offered by Blockbuster @ Home. I will provide you our link explaining in more detail of what is going on: http://bit.ly/13vYyF7

Thanks

#14 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 516 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

I realize that changes are inevitable when companies need to save money, but Dish needs to consider this. Streaming may be a great feature for convenience & for folks who aren't particular about video & audio quality, it's fine. (Of course if you don't have a Dish DVR, it's useless & I've been with Dish over 17 years & have never had a need for a DVR & don't plan on starting now). The movies by mail part of the program was, to me, the best part of the program. As someone has already said, even if I had a DVR & had the streaming service, it can & never will measure up to the quality (video & audio) of Blu-Rays. And there is no technology on the horizon that will do so either. The loss of the movies by mail should really be re-considered by Dish & I truly hope it is.

Ken

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

#15 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:01 PM

I know this may have caught you by surprise and the concerns you may have. We are moving away from the discs to focus on the 15 movie channels, 6 entertainment channels and expanding On-Demand and streaming options offered by Blockbuster @ Home. I will provide you our link explaining in more detail of what is going on: http://bit.ly/13vYyF7

Thanks

As the previous poster said, this ALL pre-supposes that the user has a DVR, what accommodation will be made for BBAH subscribers that do not have a DVR - maybe a free DVR upgrade with no FEES - HA-HA-HA-HA-HAHA-!!

And what of those who have dial-up (yes they exist) or other slow internet connections?

Edited by Jim5506, 13 August 2013 - 01:02 PM.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#16 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

Parroting the company line on

Thanks

Quoting the company line on this is not very helpful, Mike.  The posters in this thread have brought up some great points.  Dish would be wise to reconsider.

#17 OFFLINE   Crotulus

Crotulus

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

Really Mike? You sent us to a webpage that tells us how great this pack will be when it is exactly the same as what we already get minus the discs by mail.

If Dish wants to drop the physical media portion of BB@H then they should either fold the channels into the TOP 250/200 packages or lower the price of the channels package while creating a streaming package like Netflix for those that want it. I was cool paying the $10 fee when this was the Voom pack but the channels have gotten steadily worse over the years. The discs by mail made it worth it (at least in the past when titles were actually available but that's another issue).

#18 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 516 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

This is the part I don't understand. I've been with Dish for 17 years & wasn't aware that Blockbuster at Home involved/included anything other than (one movie at a time by mail & blockbuster streaming). Can you tell me what other channels you are referring to that are included in BAH, which I pay $10/month extra for? I guess I just haven't been paying attention, but I don't see anything different than what I've had for some time. BTW, I have America's Top 250, BAH & HD 250.

Ken

#19 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,160 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

This is the part I don't understand. I've been with Dish for 17 years & wasn't aware that Blockbuster at Home involved/included anything other than (one movie at a time by mail & blockbuster streaming). Can you tell me what other channels you are referring to that are included in BAH, which I pay $10/month extra for? I guess I just haven't been paying attention, but I don't see anything different than what I've had for some time. BTW, I have America's Top 250, BAH & HD 250.

Ken

The Blockbuster package used be called the Platinum package. When they bought Blockbuster they changed the name of the package to Blockbuster and then tacked on the DVD by mail and streaming service to it for no additional cost.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#20 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 520 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

To me, the discs by mail is what made this package attractive. I think this is a mistake by Dish - it's a diferentiator for their service.

Edited by Reaper, 13 August 2013 - 04:20 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...