Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DVDs and Games no longer from Blockbuster by mail

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:10 PM

I also echo the sentiments expressed so far and am disappointed that discs by mail will be dropped.  I'm a critic of the service.  It leaves much to be desired.  Its shortcomings have been well covered here before.

But I like the idea of getting a disc in the mail.  I like old movies, serials and TV shows and that content is unlikely to be streamed.  And I like having one disc at a time sitting in my DVD player so I can watch a chapter at a time when I have an opportunity.  I don't want to have instant access to everything.  It's like drinking from a fire hose.  When I have a limited number of discs at my fingers, I'm going to enjoy them much more.  The queue helps me organize and prioritize my viewing.  Maybe it's an odd opinion, but I prefer to not having immediate access to everything, i.e. instant gratification.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   SONDOR

SONDOR

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

1. Do they still offer an option to get disc's by mail for an extra fee? My wife uses the service and it may be worth it to her. The streaming they offer is so limited, hopefully they improve that to offer some newer movies or older series.

#23 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 516 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

Yes, I am very disappointed that the movies/discs by mail is being eliminated! Also, will someone please explain to me why the availability of streaming titles would be any different/less than those offered via the actual disc (Blu-Ray or DVD)? This makes no sense to me at all. A little off topic, but this is why I was so disappointed when I purchased the Roku3 streaming device, but found that the availability of streaming titles were limited on every monthly subscription service offered. There were/are some fairly new releases, but most are releases that have been out for awhile. (Unless I want to rent new titles on Vudu for $5.99-$6.99 for one HD movie). But as far as any service offering new releases in a monthly subscription, there just isn't any worth having, imo.

Honestly speaking, it's so much easier (and cheaper; $1.50 for a BD, $1.00 for a DVD) to just go to any of a dozen Redbox kiosks around my neighborhood & get what I want & I can even reserve what I want on-line beforehand. Oh & the video & audio quality is far superior as well.

Sorry to get off-topic, but I feel this will hurt Dish in the end unless they have a serious change of heart!

Ken

Edited by khearrean, 13 August 2013 - 07:17 PM.

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

#24 OFFLINE   ggotch5445

ggotch5445

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:28 AM

I understand that dropping the physical disc at home service will be an expense saver for Dish. And I also understand that many, probably most, consumers are moving towards streaming primarily. But most folks also are not interested in classic films (especially in B&W!!). Just like most folks like to fill their i-pods with lower audio-quality mp3's. But for those of us that love all kinds of films, in the best quality, dropping the disc at home service leaves us a bit in the cold.

Frankly, I am a bit of a geek. If Dish was dropping mail at home and substituting an all encompassing streaming service- with great picture and sound on lots of movies new & old, with no expiration date where they would be discontinued, then great I would happily embrace streaming only.

The other day, a co-worker mentioned that something had reminded him of a funny scene in the movie, Stir Crazy. I had never seen the film, so I did check first to see if I could stream/download the movie through BBAH. Nope. But it was available through the disc at home service, and I put it right into my queue.

It is a shame to lose this option. Perhaps it's time to return to Neflix and drop the $10 extra for BBAH. It's no good having the ability to watch on any device when there is nothing to watch.

#25 OFFLINE   joegr

joegr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:39 AM

1. Do they still offer an option to get disc's by mail for an extra fee? My wife uses the service and it may be worth it to her. The streaming they offer is so limited, hopefully they improve that to offer some newer movies or older series.

Sure.

https://dvd.netflix.com/

It has more selection, and faster service.

#26 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

I'm going to miss the disk in the mail but luckily my wife subscribes to Netflix so the disks will still come.  Unfortunate that her tastes in movies is so so different from mine. 

If they are going to stop mailing out disks do we have the option of not returning any that we might have in our grubby little hands? :sure:

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#27 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

I also echo the sentiments expressed so far and am disappointed that discs by mail will be dropped.  I'm a critic of the service.  It leaves much to be desired.  Its shortcomings have been well covered here before.

But I like the idea of getting a disc in the mail.  I like old movies, serials and TV shows and that content is unlikely to be streamed.  And I like having one disc at a time sitting in my DVD player so I can watch a chapter at a time when I have an opportunity.  I don't want to have instant access to everything.  It's like drinking from a fire hose.  When I have a limited number of discs at my fingers, I'm going to enjoy them much more.  The queue helps me organize and prioritize my viewing.  Maybe it's an odd opinion, but I prefer to not having immediate access to everything, i.e. instant gratification.

We must be from similar molds...

Count me very disappointed. I got the email on Monday.

I live in the country and the BB disc by mail was a nice perk and my only source at this time for getting new releases on Blu-ray. In fact, the BB program came at about the same time that Netflix started charging more for Blu-ray discs, so it was an easy choice to cut the disc service out of my Netflix subscription. Having said that, I kept the streaming service from Netflix. Not only do I find Dish streaming to be vastly inferior to Netflix streaming, but I don't really get the point of it. From what I've seen, the streaming is basically limited to the programming I subscribe to. If I really want to see a particular program, I'll just DVR it. The addtional channels are OK, but by the time movies make their way to Epix, I've already seen them at the theater or on disc. I think I just talked myself into taking my $10 a month from Dish and putting it back on Netflix. :)

#28 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,846 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

I understand disappointment... but let's be brutally honest.  Blockbuster went out of business a LONG time ago.  Dish bought them in their bankruptcy proceedings...  so it is nothing short of a miracle in many ways that any semblance of Blockbuster DVD rentals still exists.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#29 OFFLINE   ggotch5445

ggotch5445

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

I understand disappointment... but let's be brutally honest.  Blockbuster went out of business a LONG time ago.  Dish bought them in their bankruptcy proceedings...  so it is nothing short of a miracle in many ways that any semblance of Blockbuster DVD rentals still exists.

Unquestionably!

But this is a forum to express our thoughts, likes, dislikes- and sometimes such feedback leads to new ideas. 

I am personally disappointed, at this point, about Dish's decision, but I would be ecstatic if the old, disc-at-home model morphed into a fantastic, all-encompassing, high quality movie streaming service. I suspect such a service is just around the corner- but not likely from a company already established.

#30 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

It does not appear that the Blockbuster DVD service is ending for regular Blockbuster subscribers (www.blockbuster.com) so I guess my question would be - why take something away from Dish subscribers when Dish owns Blockbuster?  The service is there, just no longer for us.

#31 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,846 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

It does not appear that the Blockbuster DVD service is ending for regular Blockbuster subscribers (www.blockbuster.com) so I guess my question would be - why take something away from Dish subscribers when Dish owns Blockbuster?  The service is there, just no longer for us.

If that is the case... then they would just be cancelling the free service for Dish subscribers of that package.  When they added mailed-DVDs to that $10 package of Dish channels, they didn't change the price... so it was a freebie.  Maybe they decided it wasn't worth continuing as a free service and they knew people would balk at a price-increase... so just decided to phase it out BUT give you the option of the old Blockbuster program if you wanted to pay the separate fee.

#32 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

If that is the case... then they would just be cancelling the free service for Dish subscribers of that package.  When they added mailed-DVDs to that $10 package of Dish channels, they didn't change the price... so it was a freebie.  Maybe they decided it wasn't worth continuing as a free service and they knew people would balk at a price-increase... so just decided to phase it out BUT give you the option of the old Blockbuster program if you wanted to pay the separate fee.

I would be all in for giving us the option of adding the DVD service ala carte as opposed to killing it outright (or making us spend $ 10 over at blockbuster.com as a separate customer).   How about bumping down the movie package to $ 8 or so given the loss of DVDs (most of us are getting it half price anyway) and add an ala carte DVD delivery option of $ 4 or so?  The mechanics are already in place - if it needs better funding to make the DVD program work, so be it.  $ 4 is still much cheaper than going to Netflix DVD delivery and we can still take advantage of the Dish/BB marriage.

The frustration here is that Dish didn't even attempt to 'fix' a situation that was not penciling out - they just killed it. 

• CeeWoo likes this

#33 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

Sorry but I disagree with this.  DIsh is not a charity organization or some startup trying a new idea to get a foothold.  It's a serious, established business.  They should have done due diligence and prepared a business case and only gone forward if they could make a profit.  Early on when disk by mail went live, people were saying similar things -- "give them a chance", "they are still working out the wrinkles"...  If it wasn't ready for prime time, they shouldn't have released it.  Dish gets no credit for me for doing "miracles" which turn out to be a bait-and-switch.

#34 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,846 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:07 PM

I would be all in for giving us the option of adding the DVD service ala carte as opposed to killing it outright (or making us spend $ 10 over at blockbuster.com as a separate customer).   How about bumping down the movie package to $ 8 or so given the loss of DVDs (most of us are getting it half price anyway) and add an ala carte DVD delivery option of $ 4 or so?  The mechanics are already in place - if it needs better funding to make the DVD program work, so be it.  $ 4 is still much cheaper than going to Netflix DVD delivery and we can still take advantage of the Dish/BB marriage.

The frustration here is that Dish didn't even attempt to 'fix' a situation that was not penciling out - they just killed it. 

Why should they drop the price of the movie package due to dropping the DVD rentals when they never raised the price of the movie package when they added the DVD rentals in the first place?

Sorry but I disagree with this.  DIsh is not a charity organization or some startup trying a new idea to get a foothold.  It's a serious, established business.  They should have done due diligence and prepared a business case and only gone forward if they could make a profit.  Early on when disk by mail went live, people were saying similar things -- "give them a chance", "they are still working out the wrinkles"...  If it wasn't ready for prime time, they shouldn't have released it.  Dish gets no credit for me for doing "miracles" which turn out to be a bait-and-switch.

Dish didn't buy Blockbuster for the DVD rental business... they bought it for the streaming content and had thoughts of trying to do something competitive with Netflix...  they really only appear to have kept the DVD rental part of the business because it was already there...  they have been closing more stores again lately, so dropping the mail-order DVDs was just a matter of time.

#35 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

My 6 months at half price just ended a couple days ago...my savings is $5 (I was probably just gonna let it go anyhow)

Looks like Dish is going to save me $10 by giving me another reason to drop the BlockBuster package. The blu-rays by mail were the only thing really keeping me in the package ever since HDNet Movies dropped out and got watered down in the regular packages. The Epix channels are ok, but I've got all the Marvel movies on Blu so they are kind of useless. We do watch Palladia, but I've seen a number of concerts repeated on the VH1 channels. I live in the sticks so the streaming part of the package does not do me any good. I'll just give Red Box a go for the occasional movie for he kids.

#36 OFFLINE   sledhead 700

sledhead 700

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

The math is simple for Dish.  $10 a month (minus all the shipping and handling costs) for the discs or $6.99 per VOD for the most current movies. I think they realized that they where NOT making the money that they could on new releases.  It will be interesting to see if the VOD revenue increases. It  won't from me as I will use redbox....Just saying..... my 2 cents worth  

Edited by sledhead 700, 17 August 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#37 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

I understand that dropping the physical disc at home service will be an expense saver for Dish. And I also understand that many, probably most, consumers are moving towards streaming primarily. But most folks also are not interested in classic films (especially in B&W!!). Just like most folks like to fill their i-pods with lower audio-quality mp3's. But for those of us that love all kinds of films, in the best quality, dropping the disc at home service leaves us a bit in the cold.

Frankly, I am a bit of a geek. If Dish was dropping mail at home and substituting an all encompassing streaming service- with great picture and sound on lots of movies new & old, with no expiration date where they would be discontinued, then great I would happily embrace streaming only.

The other day, a co-worker mentioned that something had reminded him of a funny scene in the movie, Stir Crazy. I had never seen the film, so I did check first to see if I could stream/download the movie through BBAH. Nope. But it was available through the disc at home service, and I put it right into my queue.

It is a shame to lose this option. Perhaps it's time to return to Neflix and drop the $10 extra for BBAH. It's no good having the ability to watch on any device when there is nothing to watch.

Stir Crazy is on HBO once in a while.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#38 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

While I'm sorry to see the disk by mail disappear, it wasn't a very good service to begin with unless all you wanted was bad or old movies.  Everything more current always seemed to be on some sort of 'wait' that meant it wasn't gonna ship in any reasonable timeframe.  I can't count how many times a movie showed up on the premiums before I got it from BB.

The nice part of this drop is the fee DVD I got from them.  I had just gotten the last Harry Potter in 3D from them and now I get to keep it!  Great!  :)

The BB@Home package is well worth the $10/month without any disks at all imo.  And it sure is worth the $5/month I'll be paying for the next 5 months.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#39 OFFLINE   Boston

Boston

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

I know this may have caught you by surprise and the concerns you may have. We are moving away from the discs to focus on the 15 movie channels, 6 entertainment channels and expanding On-Demand and streaming options offered by Blockbuster @ Home. I will provide you our link explaining in more detail of what is going on: http://bit.ly/13vYyF7

Thanks

Mike,

If your company is going to return its emphasis on the movie channels, I would hope that they fulfill the promise from when the package was originally introduced as the HD Platinum Package. The have added or swapped in SD channels. I sure hope they would upgrade them to HD and maybe add a couple as well.

#40 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:11 AM

This will definitely make me rethink my subscription to the blockbuster channels. The blockbuster streaming is NOT that compelling by itself, especially when one considers that the streaming content is generally ALREADY available on the blockbuster channels that I am subscribing to. The only advantage that the streaming provides is that I don't have to wait for a specific day to watch a particular movie. The selection of HD streaming from the blockbuster at home really does suck, I am not interested in streaming SD material. I have a feeling that this may end up costing Dish quite a few BB@Home subscriptions. It certainly makes Netflix that much more attractive.

Edited by olds403, 18 August 2013 - 02:12 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...