Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DVDs and Games no longer from Blockbuster by mail

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 651 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:29 AM

If they are going to stop mailing out disks do we have the option of not returning any that we might have in our grubby little hands? :sure:

Yes. When I logged into my BB queue today, I got the following message.
As of September 19, 2013, Blockbuster @Home™ subscriptions will no longer include DVDs, Blu-Rays, or video games by mail.

As our gift to you, your final by-mail movie or show is yours to keep! If you return your current title, we will do our best to send you the next title in your queue but cannot guarantee availability. To ensure you receive your gift, we recommend keeping your current title.

If you currently have a title from an in-store exchange or a video game, please return it and we will do our best to send you the next movie or show in your queue.

Blockbuster @Home will continue to provide 15 movie and 6 entertainment channels, plus access to thousands of On Demand titles! Learn More about the great features included in Blockbuster @Home.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

Dangit.  I just returned 'Life of Pi'.  Loved the book and the movie and wish I still had it in my grubby hands.  I wonder if they will still send me my next in queue?  Haven't checked my queue recently.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#43 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:55 AM

I just got a notice Thursday or Friday that they are shipping a disc from my queue.

Around that same time, I sent an email noting my disappointment that the disc by mail program is being discontinued. This is the response that I got:

"Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We would be glad to assist you with your concern about the Blockbuster by mail.

We want to apologize for not meeting your expectations in Customer Service. We pride ourselves with providing each and every customer with a positive experience when contacting us.  Feedback from our customers, both positive and negative, drives the quality of our Customer Service.

We still don’t have information about the discontinuation of the disc by mail program. We have no updates about it.

For further assistance, you can also visit www.mydish.com/chat to start a live chat with a Customer Service Representative.

Thank you for your email."

I also got this email which I find rather strange:

Rojivenus Abueva would like to recall the message, "Blockbuster by mail email notice".

Has anyone else received these same emails?

Edited by clotter, 19 August 2013 - 11:56 AM.

#44 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

It does not appear that the Blockbuster DVD service is ending for regular Blockbuster subscribers (www.blockbuster.com) so I guess my question would be - why take something away from Dish subscribers when Dish owns Blockbuster?  The service is there, just no longer for us.

It's true...according to Blockbuster's post on Facebook (under 6 Souls post). Their regular dvd by mail service isn't ending. What is ending is the perk of getting them by mail with the BB@Home add-on package.

#45 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 651 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

Which is weird because they don't have enough inventory as it is, and you are going to let us keep our last disks? I think they are going to end all of the disks, if not, why give away inventory?

#46 OFFLINE   hasbeen29650

hasbeen29650

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

To add to the strangeness of all this. I never got the message that they were going to discontinue the mailing of disks like a lot of you did. I get the BB@Home option and I have never gotten an email saying that they were going to end service. Whole deal is very strange. 

#47 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

I never got the email either, but like others, I did get the notice when I checked my queue.

I'm not really upset that the DVD by mail is going away as it didn't work very well anyway unless you only wanted old or not very good movies.  But the freebie for me turns out to be the last Harry Potter movie in 3D!  I really like that and it completes my set.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#48 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

I also haven't gotten the e-mail.  I learned of it first here.  I do see the pop-up when I go to check my queue.

The "free gift" is nonsense.  All they are doing is saving on return shipping and handling.   If they wanted to end on a positive note, they should distribute the discs we are waiting on.  They could dispose of the inventory and have happy customers who may be more willing to keep the reduced Platinum package.

#49 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

I also haven't gotten the e-mail.  I learned of it first here.  I do see the pop-up when I go to check my queue.

The "free gift" is nonsense.  All they are doing is saving on return shipping and handling.   If they wanted to end on a positive note, they should distribute the discs we are waiting on.  They could dispose of the inventory and have happy customers who may be more willing to keep the reduced Platinum package.

Who knows, maybe they will do that.  I'm not holding my breath though.

When I got the notice I immediately loaded up my queue with a  bunch of movies I haven't watched in the hopes that I will get one.

Surprise, just got notice that one of those is being shipped today.  Not the one I really hoped for but, oh well, it's something.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#50 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:58 AM

I also got a shipping notice today.  The service stops on Sept 19 so I expect to exchange discs up to at least Sept 12th.  I'm playing hot-potato now and trying to keep watching discs but not be left holding a middle disc of a set.  Luckily I just returned the eighth and last disc of the Master Keaton series, so I'm not stuck in the middle there.   But I had planned to watch several other multi-disc collections, one disc at a time.

Did anyone here upgrade to the 3-disc plan?  I wonder if that is also discontinued.

Another "free gift" they could have offered is to switch us over to the BlockBuster "Movies by Mail" plan with some free months.  Then we could keep our queue and many customers would end up paying that monthly amount in addition to their existing dish bill since they may be reluctant to cancel dish channels or pay the one-time change penalty.

#51 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

Another "free gift" they could have offered is to switch us over to the BlockBuster "Movies by Mail" plan with some free months.  Then we could keep our queue and many customers would end up paying that monthly amount in addition to their existing dish bill since they may be reluctant to cancel dish channels or pay the one-time change penalty.

This right here - throw a bone to the folks who still want DVDs by mail without us having to pay full price at Blockbuster or Netflix.  Dish OWNS Blockbuster - could have been an easy transition over for a lot of us.

• salyavin likes this

#52 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

I really like the idea of gettin Blu-Ray discs by mail, but in practice it had its flaws. Too many times I would get half way through a movie and it would mess up. After two of these in a row I simply stopped trying. It was nice in that it offered access to odd ball films that are hard to find on other services. The streaming on my 722 is too confusing and I never use it. Maybe the hopper is better.

#53 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 991 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:59 PM

I did enjoy the BluRays by mail.  Now I will have to get them from RedBox.  Dish streaming isn't much better.  The biggest problem with Dish's streaming service is sorting through the available movies.  I still haven't figured out an efficient way to do it and as a result, I rarely use it.  At some point I will probably just go back to NetFlix. 

• wingnut1 likes this
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#54 OFFLINE   wingnut1

wingnut1

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:13 PM

If one signs up for a regular BB account outside of Dish are they still sending discs by mail?

Are they gong to improve the system to find movies on the Dish dvr?  The current system isn't very user friendly.

#55 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

If one signs up for a regular BB account outside of Dish are they still sending discs by mail?  ...

Yes, per this post:

It's true...according to Blockbuster's post on Facebook (under 6 Souls post). Their regular dvd by mail service isn't ending. What is ending is the perk of getting them by mail with the BB@Home add-on package.

but I disagree with calling this a "perk".  It was part of the BB@Home package which is being discontinued without compensation.

#56 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

Yes, per this post:

but I disagree with calling this a "perk".  It was part of the BB@Home package which is being discontinued without compensation.

Ok how about Dish compensates you exactly how much they charged for the mail service when they started it? Lets see the package cost $10 before they added the mail service to it, and after they added it the package cost ummmmm, yeah that's right $10. So your compensation is $0! I mean come on people I understand being disappointed that the service is being discontinued, that's legit, but acting like somehow Dish owes you something for it is just silly. I have a funny feeling that if Dish saw a sizable increase in people subscribing to the Platinum/Blockbuster package when they added the mail service they would've decided to keep it going because it would've been worth it to them. Obviously that didn't happen. Either you think the package is worth $10 without the mail service or you don't and you can either subscribe to it or not based on that.

Edited by tsmacro, 23 August 2013 - 04:34 PM.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#57 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,458 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:18 PM

Yes, per this post:

No compensation required.  They didn't raise the price of that channel package when they added the DVD-mailing service to it.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#58 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

No compensation required.  They didn't raise the price of that channel package when they added the DVD-mailing service to it.

They didn't add DVD-mailing to any package.  They discontinued the Platinum package and switched everyone who had the old package to a different new and improved package, MoviePass.  This happened between the August and September 2011 bills.  MoviePass was advertised as a "answer to Netflix" (http://www.theverge....treaming-videos) and included discs by mail from day 1.  Discs by mail was not a freebie or a perk.  It was an advertised feature of the new package.

From the Sept 8, 2011 bill:

"Attention: DISH Network is pleased to announce your DISH Platinum subscription has been upgraded to the Blockbuster Movie Pass©.   In addition to the channels offered in DISH Platinum, you'll get unlimited access to thousands of movies streaming to your PC and TV (requires Broadband Internet and compatible HD DVR) plus over 100,000 Blockbuster© titles by mail -- with no change to your package price. Visit dish.com/BlockbusterMoviePass to learn more.  Your tax rate may change based on your state and local tax laws."

Nobody is on Platinum anymore.  They didn't add any features -- they cancelled it.  The clock stopped there and started fresh at day 0 on MoviePass.  I've been paying $10/month for MoviePass, a package which began with HD channels, content streaming and discs by mail.  As of mid-September, that package is having fewer features than when I initially signed up for it (or rather was automatically signed up).  It's probably no coincidence that the program started in one September and is getting changed in another, but I'm not sure what that means.

Looking through bills, I also see that in 2009 I switched from HD Silver to HD Platinum at no additional cost.  So I suspect that Dish found a way to get an additional $10/month somehow through the transitions from HD & Platinum to HD Platinum to Dish Platinum to MoviePass, now BlockBuster@Home..   I'm fuzzy about all the details but I do remember calling Dish service at one time to complain about a charge increase and I think that's when they told me the discs by mail service was new and so I kept it.  (I don't watch those movie channels much, and probably got Platinum because it was a free upgrade which I read about here).

#59 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,458 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

You can fuzzy math it all you want... but Platinum HD became Blockbuster with no changes except for the addition of the DVDs by mail.  They didn't raise the price to cover the additional cost of that business.

Semantic it if you wish... but they never raised the price of the package to cover the DVDs by mail...  so there's no reason for them to drop the price after stopping that service.  IF the channels in the package aren't worth $10 to you, then by all means drop that package.

• tsmacro likes this

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#60 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:29 AM

I disagree.  I've given you facts above -- it's not fuzzy math. But please note that I'm not necessarily talking about monetary compensation.  Simply dropping a feature and reverting back to what was offered two years ago at today's price is unacceptable.   They should offer a replacement feature to remain competitive and have happy customers.  I've already suggested two replacement ideas above.  A third would be to continue the two or three disc-at-a-time BlockBuster packages to MoviePass subscribers at the discounted rate of $5, $10/month.  In this option, we are still losing a feature since we would no longer get a single disc free, but it would lessen the blow and possibly bring in new revenue to Dish.

Dropping the service is an option.  I mentioned that above also.  But that's a bit boring, isn't it?  It's more interesting and useful to constructively criticize the plans and speculate on improvements here.

• salyavin likes this

spam firewall