Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DVDs and Games no longer from Blockbuster by mail

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

If I was to sign up for a separate DVD by Mail service, it would not be BB.   The Queue delays and turnaround time was so slow that I wouldn't take a chance that this was better.  I would rather pay the $10/mo for the NetFlix BluRay by mail. 

The Dish streaming service has one major disadvantage in my opinion and that is their search engine.  You are forced to scan through long lists of movies or know exactly what you are looking for.   The NetFlix GUI is much better in terms of finding movies by genre, release date or popularity.   I used to use the NF engine to find a movie then see if Dish had it but now you really can't do that unless you are a NF subscriber. 

Too bad as prices have risen and quality of higher tier programming has degraded, I found myself first dropping the Top 250 and going to Top 200 and then this year I realized that even 200 only had one channel that I rarely watched so now I am down to Top 120.  With the savings, I can easily add NetFlix although even that will probably wait a few months as the new Network shows kick in.   I just wonder if I now call Dish for some reason that the Auto Voice will still say,  "I see that you are one of our Top Customers".....LOL!

Edited by DoyleS, 11 September 2013 - 12:23 PM.

Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Stosh

Stosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

I agree with DoyleS.  I have been a loyal Blockbuster customer for years, getting DVDs and BDs from them by mail.  But once Dish took them over, they closed many distribution points, and the turnaround time became ridiculous.  It used to be that I could return a disk on Monday, and have a new disk in my mail by Wednesday most of the time, or by Thursday once in a while.  Now the disks have to go to a location further away from me, and the turnaround can be a week untl I get a new disk.  Plus their inventory seems to have gotten reduced, and there were many more disks with long wait periods than there were before.

I've already switched to Netflix, where I get any disk I want, and my turnaround time is again 2 days.

Dish seriously blew it when they took over Blockbuster.

#83 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

Got the email today. Was surprised about the free ppv coupons.

Dear Dish Network Customer,

As of September 19, 2013, Blockbuster @Home™ will no longer include DVDs or games by mail. We recognize that this is an inconvenience, so the by-mail DVD or Blu-ray Disc™ that you have at home on 9/19/13 will be yours to keep. Please keep in mind that this does not include in-store exchanges or titles that have not yet shipped.

Also for your inconvenience, starting on 9/20/13 you will receive two free Pay-Per-View certificates per month for the next three months. An email will be sent to you every month at the time of issuance. To use your Pay-Per-View certificates, please visit mydish.com/myppv.

The Blockbuster @Home package continues to bring you the best in movies with 21 great channels, including:
EPIX® (channels 380-382)
STARZ® Cinema (channel 353)
Sony Movie Channel (channel 386)
Hallmark Movie Channel (channel 187
In addition, access thousands of movies On Demand by watching on your computer or favorite device with dishanywhere.com or the free DISH Anywhere™ app. The titles below are just a few examples of what is offered with your subscription.

#84 OFFLINE   salyavin

salyavin

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

I got the email today as well.  That plus I found I can get to the que at blockbuster.com and if I like sign up for the disk program separatly without rebuilding my que it's not so bad a way to wind down the program.  Like earlier instructions put in same email address I gave Dish and reset password, I assume I could enter a credit card number later and continue.

#85 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

I got the mail too, but I have a lousy movie! I don't want to keep it. What would happen if I sent it back?

#86 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

I'd send it back and cross my fingers for something better.  Fill up your queue with a bunch you would like to keep. Should help!

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#87 OFFLINE   HeyNewbie

HeyNewbie

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:44 AM

I got the email also.

"Also for your inconvenience, starting on 9/20/13 you will receive ..."  

Thanks just what I need more inconveniences.

As of September 19, 2013, Blockbuster @Home™ will no longer include DVDs or games by mail. We recognize that this is an inconvenience, so the by-mail DVD or Blu-ray Disc™ that you have at home on 9/19/13 will be yours to keep. Please keep in mind that this does not include in-store exchanges or titles that have not yet shipped.“  

Can anyone explain how it would physically be possible to keep a title at your home on 9/19/2013 that hasn’t been shipped to your home yet. Is this somehow a practical application of string theory or parallel universes?

And another thing… "As our gift to you, your final by-mail movie or show is yours to keep!" I don't see how keeping a movie I've just watched is much of a gift. I can't remember ever intentionally renting a previously watch movie and I’ve never had a desire to purchase any.

#88 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:09 AM

...a gift. That's there way of saying it's cheaper to let you leep it than for us to deal with getting rid of it!

#89 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

And another thing… "As our gift to you, your final by-mail movie or show is yours to keep!" I don't see how keeping a movie I've just watched is much of a gift. I can't remember ever intentionally renting a previously watch movie and I’ve never had a desire to purchase any.

Actually part 2 of a set was unavailable so after enjoying part 1; I bought the second disc out of pocket.   But I was left with half a set on my shelf.  I ordered the first disc again and am holding on to it to complete the set. :-)

#90 OFFLINE   Slacker_McFly

Slacker_McFly

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:33 AM

Just wanted to put my two cent is and say that we've had BB@home service for about 2 years now and in all honesty, we hardly use the disc portion or the streaming portion. In the entire time we have had the service I think I may have taken out 2 possibly 3 discs. We do use the movie channel portion once in awhile when there is good movies on that we want to see. However we have so many other things on tv that we watch, it takes up most of our time to where we really don't watch movies very often.

Now I will have to say that I do like the fact that bb@home has like 20,000 plus titles. Netflix doesn't even have that many that I know of. I don't like the fact that a large number of movies you have to pay to rent them and the fact that when you get a movie you only get them for a certain number of days. I think if blockbuster/dish is gonna charge us $10 we should get the streaming stuff free just as you would for netflix. Now the new movies should be left for pay per view. I would like them added to streaming for free but that aint gonna happen. If dish/blockbuster wants to compete with Netflix then They should offer a competitive price to netflix and offer a lot more movies than what netflix has. I currently use netflix and love it. I also use the redbox and love it The only thing I do not love about Redbox and Netflix is that it takes soooo long to get new movies. Meaning Redbox takes at least a month or more I have seen just to get a new movie at its boxes. Netflix takes even longer. I really hate that. I am one that I refuse to pay $6.99 or whatever the ridiculous price is just to rent it on pay per view or even rent it from a retail store. So I am forced then to wait months after it comes out on dvd to be able to watch it. I rarely buy new dvd's on account of how expensive they are when they first come out. 

I can see why Blockbuster got rid of its dvd service since it has gone bankrupt and then Dish network thought it could save it. The fact of the matter is, Redbox, Netflix, and websites like Hulu are killing the dvd rental stores and because Dish has failed to get bb@home to be more competitive with redbox, Netflix and sites like hulu, It has been forced to drop its dvd service. I feel that Redbox should work with Netflix and streaming sites like Hulu to where Redbox does all the new movies and games up to a certain point in time. Like up to 6 months or a year. Then Netflix and hulu would come in to provide all the old movies and provide all the tv shows. It could even work with Gamefly where Gamefly would provide some new games but mostly older ones.

Well, thats my two cent's.

#91 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:12 AM

It's funny how one cause can result in unintended results.

I was generally happy with BB at home, but when Dish decided to drop the disc at home program, I decided to take a good look at my viewing habits. The result? I dropped BB at home completely and added discs to my Netflix account. Dish's loss of $10 per month is Netfix's gain. The unintended result is that I also dropped my plan from America's 250 to America's 200.

In the end, Dish loses $20 a month. Of course, I now have fewer channels to watch. Now I'll need to consider if these fewer channels to watch is really worth the high cost of dual Hoppers and Joeys. As a family, we find ourselves watching more streaming, and less live TV and DVR'd TV. 

The final results are yet to be determined.

Edited by clotter, 21 September 2013 - 07:13 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...