Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Quick Look: App for iPad 2.0

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,103 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:39 AM

DIRECTV does it again!

The all new redesigned app for iPad 2.0 expected to be available today in the app store! This is the first in a series of redesigns for all of DIRECTV's apps.

IMG_0314.PNG

The 2009-style backgrounds are all gone, replaced by a slick, Android-like interface with a slide-out menu.

IMG_0317.PNG

You'll like the fact that they added filtering to almost every part of the app. Take a look at the the top right -- you can filter by all programs, or those programs that can be watched on the tablet, or on TV.

IMG_0319.PNG

Tapping once on an item brings a flyout that lets you watch and record easily.

IMG_0318.PNG

The app's screens have been redesigned so it's really easy to see where a program is available (on TV, tablet, etc) and there's a nice big "Watch" and "Record" button.

IMG_0320.PNG

If you're worried that the remote would be taken away... don't. it's there and just as good as ever.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,103 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:40 AM

The help screens have been enhanced, too, so you can see the new gestural inputs that are available.

IMG_0321.PNG
IMG_0322.PNG
IMG_0323.PNG

those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#3 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,494 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

Scott, the pictures included in the linked article in this thread http://www.dbstalk.c...t/#entry3168941  show playing on the iPad from your Playlist (via GenieGo ?)

Is this included and will take one of the 'licenses' for GenieGo?

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#4 OFFLINE   volkl

volkl

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

I like the 'first aired' info.  The d* website guide does not include this.

-volkl

#5 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 308 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:05 AM

Scott, the pictures included in the linked article in this thread http://www.dbstalk.c...t/#entry3168941  show playing on the iPad from your Playlist (via GenieGo ?)

I didn't get that from those pictures, dennisj.  As much as I would love Geniego integration into the DirecTV App for iPad, I don't think it's a part of this update. But I could be wrong.

App update looks great!  I can't wait to play with it on my wife's iPad. 

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#6 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,494 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

You may be right - I may be dreaming!  The first photo in 'See All' lists 'even your playlist' but that probably means just picking something from the playlist to send to the TV.

#7 OFFLINE   jayerndl

jayerndl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

I didn't get that from those pictures, dennisj.  As much as I would love Geniego integration into the DirecTV App for iPad, I don't think it's a part of this update. But I could be wrong.

App update looks great!  I can't wait to play with it on my wife's iPad.

If Geniego integration is not included Directv missed the mark. The user should not have to remember which app to run to watch a particular movie / TV show on their ipad. Another feature that would provide a better user experience would be to allow at least viewing of the series recordings and to-do list. Ideally you should be able to maintain your recordings from your ipad, but even it allowed only viewing it provide a huge benefit of not having to go to a specific room and turn on the TV just to check to see if you remembered to record something. I do welcome any improvements in the app. I find myself using my ipad for more and more stuff.

Jay
  • SteveHas likes this

#8 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 308 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:04 PM

If Geniego integration is not included Directv missed the mark. The user should not have to remember which app to run to watch a particular movie / TV show on their ipad. Another feature that would provide a better user experience would be to allow at least viewing of the series recordings and to-do list. Ideally you should be able to maintain your recordings from your ipad, but even it allowed only viewing it provide a huge benefit of not having to go to a specific room and turn on the TV just to check to see if you remembered to record something. I do welcome any improvements in the app. I find myself using my ipad for more and more stuff.

Jay

Note that I said "I don't think it's a part of this update."  I think Geniego integration is coming.  Hopefully sooner than later.  I would actually like to see them integrate Geniego into the iPad app before they get the Geniego "Out of Home" enhancements working for Android, and I'm a heavy Android user vs. my wife and her iOS products.  Obviously, DirecTV works the iOS stuff first, so since they will continue to do that, I'd just like to see the full Monte on for the iPad. 

I also agree with your other requests.  How great would it be to be able to see all of the settings/to do list/series lists, plus streaming channels, VoD, Geniego access, etc., and be able to manage all of that in a single app.  It would be brilliant! Brilliant I say! 

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

I can say for certain, GenieGo is not included in this update.

...which is available in the App Store now.
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,221 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

Yes, it wasn't there at 6 am, nor 7 or 8, or.....you get the picture.... but it's downloading now. 

Nice review, Scott and team!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#11 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

It's available on the App Store with bugs as usual. The first time I tried to view "Playlists" the app crashed. The second and subsequent times I tried to view them it continued to say "Loading Playlist" but it never loads, just continues to hang. Rebooted app and it still won't load playlist from the HR34 or the HR23.

Uninstalled and then reinstalled and now the playlist show up.

Edited by lgb0250, 13 August 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,494 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

Even after rebooting the iPad(4), mine's stuck on 'Loading Playlist' with a green check mark beside the 6 dvrs.

Everything else seems to work.

Edit:  On the wife's iPad3, got the spinning dealies on the 6 dvrs and the playlist popped in!

#13 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

Looks great so far. I can't wait to try it from home. GenieGo integration would be nice but they've made the On Demand stuff so much easier to find in this update.

Thanks for the Quick Look, Scott. Nice Job!

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#14 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,221 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

Nice. All receivers up and available, only surprise that Guide Favorites includes Rachel Ray! , Wendy Williams, and some other shows I've only breezed through on channel surfing....

I launched the app even before the sync was done:  ¡No problemo!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#15 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,724 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

The picture would seem to have the playlist content in the "watch on TV" hemisphere of the screen blocks but the software update page includes "watching your playlist" in such a manner to cause one to expect it to work on the iPad. Likely just a different command sequence so you don't need to see the list content one the TV before using the iPad remote to command it to play. (I'm at work and cannot test but it looks like marketing speak that leads one to assume more than it is). I expect you can look it up on the iPad, highlight it, and start its playback on your selected receiver from the iPad.

That being said, it does put us a step closer to that point! but I had such hopes for now.

Don " maybe in the next rev" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#16 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,494 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

It's only watch on TV.

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,725 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:53 PM

Yup, great update. and for those who might ask, it works on JB iPads with Xcon

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:28 PM

So you still can't manage the playlist?  I'm looking for a feature where I can actually do DVR MANAGEMENT.  Like check the to do list, re-prioritize series manager, see disk space remaining.  Having full DVR management on a drag and drop tablet interface would be great to have.  I could do all of that without interrupting the TV screen or even from other rooms / off site.

Also opening up streaming for more channels for off network situations.

However I will end on a positive note, I really like the look of it.  I mean it's a little more "Time Warner -ish" but the nice clean fonts and flat colors will complement IOS 7 nicely.

Can't wait to see them further develop this app and hopefully DVR management is included in the future.  Browsing the full color VOD screens would be kind of neat too so you could shoot VOD to a DVR and then play it back in another room on a non DVR via MRV.  Maybe even add the call log for caller ID, messages and or emulate TV Apps in the future.  I just think what DirecTV has today just scratches the surface and they can really take off with this thing as their development time permits.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,725 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

So you still can't manage the playlist? .

Yup, not possible yet

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,724 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

When on the watch pane off of playlist selection the view on iPad hemisphere shows with text reading "not available yet"!

Don "implies that is on the drawing rock though!" Bolton

It's only watch on TV.

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...