Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New HR44 won't unpause recordings

hr44 genie freezing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pgsassone

pgsassone

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:31 AM

I recently got an upgrade to an HR44.  Since it was installed a few weeks ago, it occasionally gets in a funk where any recorded show in my playlist won't play for more than 2 seconds before freezing.  Hitting pause and play makes it go another 2 seconds before freezing.  Switching to other recorded shows doesn't help.  But live TV works fine, and if I reboot the receiver, it can play the same recorded shows just fine.  But then a few days later it gets into another funk and I have to reboot.

There are several posts of similar HR34/44 freezing issues on the directv.com forums, and the advice usually given is to run the hard drive tests from the boot diagnostic menu.  I did that and all the tests pass except the surface test, which gets 0.02% in, and says "Fail (300F)".  On another screen it says that error means "SATA speed limited".  I guess it could be a hard drive issue, but I'm dubious since rebooting makes the problem go away, at least for a few days.

Any thoughts?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

That's a bummer but sounds like you will have to have it replaced.  A failing hard drive can cause all sorts of odd things to happen.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:49 AM

Get it replaced for sure. It's much easier only a few weeks in than later.

#4 OFFLINE   pgsassone

pgsassone

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

As a followup I called directv and they agreed that the unit should be replaced without cost.  My new HR44 is humming nicely.  Thanks for the advice everyone.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,679 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

Yup, I agree with the others. Every time there is a hard drive error, the unit must be replaced as hard drive do not "heal" over time but tend to get worse. Gald you are up and running

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hr44, genie, freezing

Protected By... spam firewall...And...