Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Genie, 0x0740 - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 168 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:55 AM

I hate to be a jerk here, but maybe sportman13 should open a new thread for his issues and help requests instead of bombarding this one?

This thread is supposed to be about 0x0740 SW discussion, not what to tell DirecTV for a service call. It's just getting a bit cluttered with OT stuff is all.

If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 810 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:03 PM

I'm not sure if this is by design or a bug or a long standing issue, but when I bring my hr44-500 out of standby, it has no buffer and I can't rewind back past when I first hit the On button.  I don't have this behavior on my other HR's.  They will let me go back 90 minutes (unless it had just changed to that channel while in standby to record something).

Edit - Nevermind, I just did a search and found out this was a "Feature"

Edited by Getteau, 11 September 2013 - 12:13 PM.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#183 OFFLINE   dukebadgerman

dukebadgerman

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

I have a Genie, an HR44/200 with the 0x7 update which came 3 weeks ago.  Every five days or so the live picture freezes.  If I change the channel, it works for about 30 seconds and then it freezes.  Last week, the picture froze at 12:29 a.m. (sportscenter has that clock on the screen) but it successfully recorded two shows while it was frozen.  So it is just freezing on live TV?

Edited by dukebadgerman, 11 September 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#184 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 168 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

I have a Genie, an HR44/200 with the 0x7 update which came 3 weeks ago.  Every five days or so the live picture freezes.  If I change the channel, it works for about 30 seconds and then it freezes.  Last week, the picture froze at 12:29 a.m. (sportscenter has that clock on the screen) but it successfully recorded two shows while it was frozen.  So it is just freezing on live TV?

My 34 has been behaving like this. Next time it happens, hit PAUSE and see if there is a buffer. You might be able to just hit play and not skip a beat. Mine seems to be randomly pausing live TV without acknowledging it has done so (and without me telling it to). When I do the above it'll snap out of it.

If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#185 OFFLINE   sportman13

sportman13

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 323 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

rmmccann do you have ax DVRHD34 my freezing and pixsalation might have to do with 0x0740

what do I tell Direct tv  the freezing and pixelation seems can happen alot during the day  or could go several hour nothing happens anyone else dose this on theirs what  do I tell Directv?

#186 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 168 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

rmmccann do you have ax DVRHD34 my freezing and pixsalation might have to do with 0x0740

what do I tell Direct tv  the freezing and pixelation seems can happen alot during the day  or could go several hour nothing happens anyone else dose this on theirs what  do I tell Directv?

I'll reiterate that I think you'd be better suited creating a new thread elsewhere on the forum to get help from other users regarding your issue.

As far as what to tell DirecTV - I don't know that there is any special phrase, sentence or chant that is going to make them drop everything and send you a brand new HR44. I would simply call them and tell them what your Genie is doing. Theey will probably send a tech out to take a look and rule out cabling/installation error.

Your problem may or may not be related to 0x0740. I can't say for sure and I don't think anyone outside of the firmware development team can tell you either. Just call and explain that your TV picture is freezing and pixelating.

#187 OFFLINE   sportman13

sportman13

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 323 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

rmmccann do you have ax DVRHD34 my freezing and pixsalation ?

#188 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 168 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

Yes, mine has been freezing. A channel change or a quick button press of PAUSE and then PLAY fixes it for me.

#189 OFFLINE   sportman13

sportman13

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 323 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

rmmccann freezing and pixsalation when I change the channels or freezes on its own ?

#190 OFFLINE   larcar

larcar

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:19 AM

I'm not sure if this is by design or a bug or a long standing issue, but when I bring my hr44-500 out of standby, it has no buffer and I can't rewind back past when I first hit the On button.  I don't have this behavior on my other HR's.  They will let me go back 90 minutes (unless it had just changed to that channel while in standby to record something).

Edit - Nevermind, I just did a search and found out this was a "Feature"

I just got a hr44-500 and I noticed the same thing that there is no buffer after you turn it on. My 2 hr24's have this "feature" which is nice to have at times when you want to watch the show from the beginning. Why they don't have this on the 44's only Directv knows. It will work if you don't power off the receiver.

#191 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:27 AM

It's because the tuners are in use for Genie Recommends when you turn it off.

#192 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:19 AM

If you have Genie Recommends turned off, does this still happen?  I did a quick test - didn't have it off for very long, but was watching a TV show, turned the Genie off for maybe 10 mins and turned it back on and I still had my full buffer, I was able to rewind and watch the 10 mins that I missed when my HR44 was off.

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

#193 OFFLINE   larcar

larcar

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

Never thought of that. I checked and mine was on so I turned it off. I turned off the receiver and I will see what happens later. If it brings back the buffer then thank you for this advise.

No luck. Receiver was off for 10 hours and no buffer? Can't rewind at all.

Edited by larcar, 12 September 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#194 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:56 AM

The no buffer has been an intermittent "feature" of the 34 and 44 since their release. It doesn't have anything to do with that setting. I've never had that on. Occasionally when turning on ( bringing out of standby ) my 34 there will be a buffer of the channel it's on, most times not. Often when you're watching a recorded program you will also lose the buffer of the channel that it's tuned to. Occasionally the buffer will be there. None of us have figured out a rhyme or reason for this although I've read many theories but none have held up. It's an intermittent issue that has not been rectified. Occasionally I'll have a period when I do have the buffer for a while and think maybe this has been fixed. Reality always returns though!

#195 OFFLINE   SoCalWJS

SoCalWJS

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:51 AM

I have been having very frequent problems with my Genie lately (HR34-700) with regards to slow/no response to remote input (mostly FF/scan features). Today it also did something new. I was on ESPN/206 and pushed the list button. Espn went into the box at the top of the screen and my recordings appeared, then everything froze - the ESPN picture in the reduced screen froze and no response to any keys. It remained this way for almost a minute.

My Genie auto updated to this version on 8/28, and thinking back, that's about when I started getting poor response to remote commands.

Anybody else with similar issues? Anything I can do about it?

Thanks.

(oh, remote set to RF)

#196 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 618 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

I am running 0x740. Yesterday, I was watching a recording and the picture froze. I pushed the play button,  couple times, then it went into pixelization. Then no response from the HR34; I had to do a Red Button reset.

This was the worse, of what was pixelization, then push play to get passed the bad spot.

It seems that several, of the latest x7 versions have had this problem one way or another. The above scenario was the worse of the incidents.  This problem does not happen a great deal but it seems to happen, all the time, with the NBC show "Siberia". The forced reset was needed with a recording of "Dogma" off one of the Starz channels. I record many movies off TCM, with no problems. 

#197 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

I, also, am running 0x740 and, for the past few days, my HR34 has frozen while watching live programming. I was unable to get it out of the "frozen" state. I had to change channels then back to the original channel. It's the first real problem that I have had since getting the 34 18 months ago.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#198 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

Old problem returns running 740.

HR34-700 Report 20130823-1852

This happen several updates back then the problem went away quite sometime ago.

While watching a live show or a recording the screen will flash black then back to the picture. When the picture flashes back on it has black strips through it horizontally with huge blocks missing, not pixellation. 
This behavior seems to start more often after unit has been in pause for a while then return to viewing, however it can start all by itself after watching something without a pause in the mix.

Might happen once all evening long and might not happen at all.
What seems to stop this behavior is to put the box into standby then back on.
Annoying but not a show stopper due to the infrequent nature of the blips.

J C

Is anyone else having the flashing similar to the description above? My HR34, running 0740, is doing this a lot now, about 3-4 times per minute. It is very annoying. It happens on both live and recorded shows. The flashes are a split second, they sometimes look green, sometimes multi-colored. When the pictures flashes, it is similar to the description above, with the "blocks" flashing on the bottom half of the picture, with vertical lines in the blocks. I'm wondering if the new release fixes this, or if there is something else I should try.

#199 OFFLINE   rhsmith

rhsmith

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationRiverton, Utah

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:10 PM

I have an HR44 and 3 of the small remote boxes.. My remotes disconnect from the server 8-10 times an hr with a "searching for server" error.  Does not matter if it is recorded or live shows.. This is the 3rd HR44 in 4 months.. They run fine for the first 30 days or so then start to crash, first 1-2 times an hr then more frequently over the course of 5-6 days until it reachs the point where it is just not usable at all. At first I thought that there may be a software issue that was eating up memory so I unplugged the HR44 and restarted it. That did nothing..  Dealer has reached the 90 day mark and is no longer able to replace the box.. I sat down with his guy and we went over everything.. Cabling is fine, Replaced the SWM, SWM powersupply, HR44.. and the problem started to repeat 30+days later.. twice.. 3rd box now and it is doing it again.. So as I have 50 yrs+ of service/design and troubleshooting experience in high-tech the first thing that comes to mind is a componet batch problem in manufacturing...  a part that is failing after some time in operation.. a not so uncommon problem in the wonderfull world of high-tech.. So I placed a small 4" fan alongside the HR44...It has been ROCK SOLID for the past 7 days.. Without the fan it dies 8-10 times or more every hr... all 3 remote boxes run fine with the fan on the HR44.. These boxes have a heat problem.. Now I have to call DirecTV and fight with them...

Edited by rhsmith, 28 January 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#200 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

Where is your HR44? In a cabinet or...

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...