Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How do I see a show's first run date in the guide?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rrr12

rrr12

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSacto, CA

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

I just switched over from Dish.... and have a newbie question...

I have a Directv HR24-500 receiver, with a RC65X remote.

When I look thru the guide list (after pressing the guide button on the remote), I don't see a month+day+year date that a show was first aired, just the year is shown. For example, the display in the guide for today's Dr OZ show says '2013'. On Dish, the date would show up as 'Aug 2, 2013'. A date showing only the year is not very helpful. In this example, Dr OZ's show happens nearly everyday. How do I tell if a show if 'new' or a rerun from earlier in the year? (they both would have '2013' dates showing in the guide).

Is there a way to show the date like Dish's guide does?  I called Directv and the helpful customer service rep said it's not possible. Great. This is a big difference (well, at least to me!) between Direct and Dish :-(

Does it require a different Directv receiver?

thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,924 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

If you select the program and go one level, you'll see the firstl air date.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#3 OFFLINE   rrr12

rrr12

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSacto, CA

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

If you select the program and go one level, you'll see the firstl air date.

Ok... I tried this:   open the guide, select a show, then select 'info' while in the show... then select 'more info'. The first aired date with mm/dd/yyyy now is displayed.

Is that what you mean dennisj00?

Is there any other way besides drilling down into each show.. time consuming......

thanks for the help

#4 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,924 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

If I'm playing a program, I can go to the guide and select a program. . . I get the info page with the current program in the PIG.  On the info page is the First Aired date.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#5 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 467 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

Ok... I tried this:   open the guide, select a show, then select 'info' while in the show... then select 'more info'. The first aired date with mm/dd/yyyy now is displayed.

Is that what you mean dennisj00?

Is there any other way besides drilling down into each show.. time consuming......

thanks for the help

That's the way to do it.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#6 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:20 PM

It would be nice just to have the word "New" in the header discription so we would know its a first run or most current episode.

I agree, hitting info a couple of times and then scrolling to the bottom to check the date can be annoying.

A simple New in the first sentence of  program info would suffice.

Mas Ultra Package + NFL ST MAX (Go Bills) MLB Xtra innings (Go Yankees)
1  Genie HR 44 - 700
3   Mini Genie C41 - 100
1 AM21 OTA Tuner

#7 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

Yes, and Info->More Info while a show is airing gets you to the same place. You can also do so in the To Do list; pretty handy. 

Please also note that the info displayed is only as good as its source, usually Tribune Media Services, which provides the same info to Dish. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

It would be nice just to have the word "New" in the header discription so we would know its a first run or most current episode.

I agree, hitting info a couple of times and then scrolling to the bottom to check the date can be annoying.

A simple New in the first sentence of  program info would suffice.

Who'd provide that tag and who'd stand up when the info is wrong? Would "new" be "first time shown on directv"? First time in US? Lots of problems with no easy answers. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

Who'd provide that tag and who'd stand up when the info is wrong? Would "new" be "first time shown on directv"? First time in US? Lots of problems with no easy answers.

Fios has a new in its guide. Might be useful if it weren't so small. But it is only useful once. Not on reruns.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#10 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

Fios has a new in its guide. Might be useful if it weren't so small. But it is only useful once. Not on reruns.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Brighthouse,Uverse and Tom,Dick and Harry as well have the word new in their info Header in the guide.

Laxguy is overcomplicating the matter.

New = First Network airing.

1  Genie HR 44 - 700
3   Mini Genie C41 - 100
1 AM21 OTA Tuner

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,567 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

Brighthouse,Uverse and Tom,Dick and Harry as well have the word new in their info Header in the guide.

Laxguy is overcomplicating the matter.

New = First Network airing.

If only that is the way it worked to define it as new.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#12 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 467 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:56 PM

Directv's guide is the only guide I have personally seen that doesn't say "new" for new episodes. Personally, I do not care because the only shows I would care if the episodes were new are the ones I have set to DVR. The "R" in the guide tells me its new. I realize that's not an answer. I would think that it's assumed that "new" refers to the first time a program airs in the country you're in. I think "new" would be a great add to the guide. As well as something to tell you if a game is blacked out or not before it's actually on.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#13 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:32 AM

Directv's guide is the only guide I have personally seen that doesn't say "new" for new episodes. Personally, I do not care because the only shows I would care if the episodes were new are the ones I have set to DVR. The "R" in the guide tells me its new. I realize that's not an answer. I would think that it's assumed that "new" refers to the first time a program airs in the country you're in. I think "new" would be a great add to the guide. As well as something to tell you if a game is blacked out or not before it's actually on.

Unfortunately, new does not mean first time in country although it should.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#14 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:06 AM

Unfortunately, new does not mean first time in country although it should.

At the very least, if the word "New" in the info heading is to hard to comprehend,Directv should at least show the "First Air date" in the info header summary and not at the tail end where you have to hit info a couple of times to see it. 

1  Genie HR 44 - 700
3   Mini Genie C41 - 100
1 AM21 OTA Tuner

#15 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:22 AM

What difference does it make?  If I have not seen it before, it is new to me.  If I have seen it before, then it is not new to me.  The only time I would care about the actual first air date is if I wanted to look up who a certain actor was.

#16 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

I just switched over from Dish.... and have a newbie question...

I have a Directv HR24-500 receiver, with a RC65X remote.

When I look thru the guide list (after pressing the guide button on the remote), I don't see a month+day+year date that a show was first aired, just the year is shown. For example, the display in the guide for today's Dr OZ show says '2013'. On Dish, the date would show up as 'Aug 2, 2013'. A date showing only the year is not very helpful. In this example, Dr OZ's show happens nearly everyday. How do I tell if a show if 'new' or a rerun from earlier in the year? (they both would have '2013' dates showing in the guide).

Is there a way to show the date like Dish's guide does?  I called Directv and the helpful customer service rep said it's not possible. Great. This is a big difference (well, at least to me!) between Direct and Dish :-(

Does it require a different Directv receiver?

thanks!

Off topic a bit, but curious as to how the appearance of the Dish guide compares to Directv's?? Which do you prefer??

Edited by ep1974, 14 August 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   rrr12

rrr12

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSacto, CA

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

Off topic a bit, but curious as to how the appearance of the Dish guide compares to Directv's?? Which do you prefer??

I've only have Directv for 2 weeks. but so far I like the Dish guide better:

1) Dish clearly show's the 'original air date' in the high level description, without needing to dig into levels of info/buttons. One could argue the meaning of 'original air date', but that's a different topic. I rarely had issues with the 'original air date' being inaccurate with Dish.

2) Maybe I need to learn more about the Directv dvr features/control, but finding what's recorded on the Dish dvr is simpler than with Direct's dvr:

With Dish, 2 pushes on the 'DVR' remote button shows me what I have recorded. With Direct, it's: Menu => Recordings  => Playlist. Maybe not a big deal... but less button pushes the better ;-)

#18 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,289 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:29 AM

2) Maybe I need to learn more about the Directv dvr features/control, but finding what's recorded on the Dish dvr is simpler than with Direct's dvr:

With Dish, 2 pushes on the 'DVR' remote button shows me what I have recorded. With Direct, it's: Menu => Recordings  => Playlist. Maybe not a big deal... but less button pushes the better ;-)

Just push the List button on the remote, above and to the right of center of the arrow keys (only 1 button push :) )

My Setup

#19 OFFLINE   majikmarker

majikmarker

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts
  • LocationArlington, WA

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:33 AM

Not sure if they have changed the remote as I have had my DVRs for awhile...there should be a List button.  One press and you have your recorded playlist.

#20 OFFLINE   rrr12

rrr12

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSacto, CA

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

Just push the List button on the remote, above and to the right of center of the arrow keys (only 1 button push :) )

Not sure if they have changed the remote as I have had my DVRs for awhile...there should be a List button.  One press and you have your recorded playlist.

Thanks for the info... yes, my remote has the List button. Great forum. More info here than from the Directv 'customer service' folks  ;-)

Directv... are you listening???

Protected By... spam firewall...And...