Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How do I see a show's first run date in the guide?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,951 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

Yes, there's a List button on quite a few different models of remotes! 

I'd like the OAD (and OAR!) in the first line, too. How accurate it is and what it's based on is, as you point out, a different subject, but you'd be one to see if the information differs between the two sat. co's. My bet is it's very rare for that to happen. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:43 AM

I don't understand all this hair -splitting over what is "new".  It seems like obfuscation.

It's simple in my mind. The same flag in the metadata that our series links use to record "first runs" only would be "new".  It's only as good as the metadata but so is the rest of the guide. 

Absolutists can debate the correctness of that (to no productive end) but for my money, if the DVR thinks it's a first run (i.e. "NEW") I would think for our purposes that is good enough.  An icon in the guide or in the description (similar to the red ®) would do it for me.

If it aired in the UK on BBC2 last year that is irrelevant to me.  It wasn't aired here and this is my first opportunity to view it. 

The idea that someone would have to "stand up" for the accuracy is a little over the top.  It's a TV Guide.  Come on.

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#23 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,951 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

Simple is best: First aired in US makes a lot of sense, and as you point out, the quality of the Guide data is key. 

#24 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:05 PM

It would be nice just to have the word "New" in the header discription so we would know its a first run or most current episode.

I agree, hitting info a couple of times and then scrolling to the bottom to check the date can be annoying.

A simple New in the first sentence of  program info would suffice.

But then you run into a show like "Continuum" on the SyFy channel.  This Canadian import was first shown on CANADIAN TV and then the episodes were shown on SyFy.  When you examine the "original air date" in the guide it lists the date when the show was originally aired IN CANADA!!  So it might be a "NEW" show or an original airing on SyFy and not say so.  In addition, if you set this show up as a series link and specify First-Run episodes only, you won't record anything!!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#25 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,912 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

Brighthouse,Uverse and Tom,Dick and Harry as well have the word new in their info Header in the guide.

Laxguy is overcomplicating the matter.

New = First Network airing.

I have Uverse as a 2nd provider. I just checked tonight's new episode of "Under The Dome." Nowhere does it say new. It has OAD just like DirecTV.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#26 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:14 PM

I have Uverse as a 2nd provider. I just checked tonight's new episode of "Under The Dome." Nowhere does it say new. It has OAD just like DirecTV.

Brighthouse uses the word New in the lead info summary and Uverse use original air date in the lead summary,unlike D* were we have to click info a few times to see the original air date.

Heres uverse guide from somebody on youtube and as he scrolls through some of the shows you can see OAD(NEW for BHN) in lead summary.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=RzXW1o8QYgs

I would like to see one or the other implemented by D*, NEW or OAD in the lead so I don't have waste precious battery clicking extra buttons to see the original air date.

Mas Ultra Package + NFL ST MAX (Go Bills) MLB Xtra innings (Go Yankees)
1  Genie HR 44 - 700
3   Mini Genie C41 - 100
1 AM21 OTA Tuner

#27 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,717 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

At the very least, if the word "New" in the info heading is to hard to comprehend,Directv should at least show the "First Air date" in the info header summary and not at the tail end where you have to hit info a couple of times to see it.

I agree with this. Instead of listing just the year, why can't they list the whole original air date? It would make it easier when you're in the search screen looking for a particular episode of a show.

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 19 August 2013 - 07:31 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

This is how i would like to see it off the guide with the word new or air date in the lead header summary.

Two and A Half men

9:00p - 9:30p I TV -14 D-L  I First Aired 8/19/2013

"Dummies just dont understand"Comedy.

Charlie Sheen,Jon Cryer,Angus T. Jones

JohnBoy makes post for dummies to understand.CC,Series. 

(or use the word New with date instead of First Aired and use Repeat with date of original broadcast if shown before)

Mas Ultra Package + NFL ST MAX (Go Bills) MLB Xtra innings (Go Yankees)
1  Genie HR 44 - 700
3   Mini Genie C41 - 100
1 AM21 OTA Tuner

#29 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,951 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:19 PM

Leave off "First Aired"; there's not enough room. But otherwise, nice. 

As an aside, ironically, the first aired date with Sheen would be several years ago....

#30 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,472 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

Right now, many programs (mostly movies) have the year in parens. Pretty simple to just put (8/19/13) in parens.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#31 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,912 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

Brighthouse uses the word New in the lead info summary and Uverse use original air date in the lead summary,unlike D* were we have to click info a few times to see the original air date.

Heres uverse guide from somebody on youtube and as he scrolls through some of the shows you can see OAD(NEW for BHN) in lead summary.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=RzXW1o8QYgs

I would like to see one or the other implemented by D*, NEW or OAD in the lead so I don't have waste precious battery clicking extra buttons to see the original air date.

When the show has a description, you have to wait for the OAD to appear with Uverse. It can take a couple seconds... just like with DirecTV when you have to press info.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

spam firewall