Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Rustoleum Neverwet

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:41 PM

Has anyone had a chance to try Neverwet yet?  The Youtube clips is the stuff legends are made of but I wonder if it works.  In the new commercials from Home Depot they show it being sprayed on satellite dishes which made me wonder would it really work for rain fade and snow build up in the winter?? 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 918 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

Water sitting on the pan of the dish is not what causes your signal to go out. If it helps snow slide off then that would be a good thing for people that have snow.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,928 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

Water sitting on the pan of the dish is not what causes your signal to go out. If it helps snow slide off then that would be a good thing for people that have snow.

it will drop, as RF wave will go through the water layer twice and water is will case to absorb some energy of it; add to that water layer on plastic cap of LNBF and then you will get full picture

#4 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

it will drop, as RF wave will go through the water layer twice and water is will case to absorb some energy of it; add to that water layer on plastic cap of LNBF and then you will get full picture

The amount of water on the dish and LNB is a very tiny compared to all the water in the air/clouds between the satellite and the dish.  I'm thinking this would have very little effect for rain fade.  Like west9999 said, it might be a little useful if it helps keep snow from sticking though.

However, I wonder if it would work well to spray on all the barrel/ground/multiswitch connections after they are put together to help keep water out of those connections?  That may work well, but any time you had to undo those connections you would have to clean it off and spray it again.  Right now I use dielectric grease and it works pretty well, but over time it can get washed away/contaminated and you have to take the connection apart, clean it, and put it back together.

Edited by Beerstalker, 16 August 2013 - 08:04 AM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:12 AM

I know that some of the spray-on coatings used on dishes like Dome Magic have some data to back up their claim that beaded up water on the reflector cuts its efficiency. I would think Neverwet would have the same advantage, except that I've noted that Neverwet dries to a matte finish (almost to the point of being cloudy) which makes me wonder, if it is diffusing light, would it also diffuse RF? I also have read that Neverwet is not very durable while some of the other sprays seem to me more durable.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,928 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

The amount of water on the dish and LNB is a very tiny compared to all the water in the air/clouds between the satellite and the dish.  I'm thinking this would have very little effect for rain fade.  ,,

Yes, in comparison. Not in in a number of dBm what is most important for the receiver, but our discussion.

Without measuring we will not go far away from words.

If you willing to get some facts, I would give you test procedure: get a screen with signal level on one tpn with level no more then 80 points (why ? see that S-curve what I posted recently), watch it for a minute to get numbers (they are fluctuating ), use your water-hose, spray the dish and LNBF; during that, ask someone to write new numbers.

It would be interesting weekend project. ;)

#7 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

I am curious to see if it works, I don't plan to try it out on my dish currently but had other ideas.  I have seen the Youtube videos and they suggest items like shoes and pants to protect from the rain or possibly spills on your pants. I just worry about the long term issues that may develop with having those chemicals so close your body.  I believe it has already been embedded into some items like toilet brushes and sold in retail locations.  Rust-Oleum bought the retail rights to sell through Home Depot.

If it can keep the snow off my dish that would be nice, but long term it won't help when the snow really builds up and I can't dig it out for a few days.  When the snow falls in feet and not inches.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,928 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

Then make plastic 'dome', preferably a pyramid with sides' steep angle; to cover the dish totally

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,558 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

This would be useful for folks who live near salt water. to spray around the entire dish assembly (except reflector) which seems to corrode quicker than the actual reflector.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:14 AM

I bought the Neverwet and plan to treat my dish and LNB - supposedly it is good on plastic too. For the dish I am more interested in encouraging snow and freezing rain to not collect, though most winters I have no problems here.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Steve

My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...