Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should I get a Genie?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ScoHo

ScoHo

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:26 PM

I'm getting ready to make my annual Sunday Ticket call, and was thinking about getting them to throw in a Genie set up.  So my question is...is it worth it?

My set up is the old antiquated HR20-700 DVR and two of the older HD receivers (not sure of the models) with the whole-home set up.

The kicker is I put a 2TB hard drive in the HR20-700...so it's really nice never having to worry about running out of space, especially with the 50 shows we have set to record.  What size is the hard drive in the Genie?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,377 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:35 AM

Genie DVRs come with a 1TB drive.   Sounds like main benefit for you might be the Genie's additional tuners (5 vs 2) and 100 Series Recordings (instead of 50).  You could replace one of your older HD Receivers with the Genie and not need to upgrade your dish (assuming you already have a SWM setup).   With Whole Home DVR sharing, all of your DVRs & Receiver can see each other's recordings.  

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   ScoHo

ScoHo

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

Good to know that it's 1TB.  That will probably be fine for us as I don't think we were ever at 50% capacity with the 2TB.

How do I know if I have a SWM setup?  Would my existing DVR and receivers be able to see and watch what's on the Genie?

Also, as a side note, we found that you can actually go over the 50 recording limit by setting the series recording up on one of the non-DVR receivers.  They apparently don't have the check in place.

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,661 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:55 AM

You don't have to give up your HR20, you can keep it and add the Genie to your system, as litzdog suggested replace one of the HD receivers. By keeping the HR20 you can still watch anything you have recorded on it.

DirecTV will provide any necessary equipment when they install the Genie in case you don't already have SWM.

#5 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,377 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

On your current HD DVR, press the remote's "Dash (-)" button.  Does it echo "SWM Connected ..." on your TV?  If yes, then you have SWM.   But as Carl points out, DirecTV will upgrade your dish and other equipment as required when you get a Genie on your account. 

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#6 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,420 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

I'm getting ready to make my annual Sunday Ticket call, and was thinking about getting them to throw in a Genie set up.  So my question is...is it worth it?

My set up is the old antiquated HR20-700 DVR and two of the older HD receivers (not sure of the models) with the whole-home set up.

The kicker is I put a 2TB hard drive in the HR20-700...so it's really nice never having to worry about running out of space, especially with the 50 shows we have set to record.  What size is the hard drive in the Genie?

No brainier here. Have the Genie replace one of the HD and keep the HR20. Now, not only will have space, but you also have enough tuners to avoid any scheduling conflicts.

Drew
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR:HR34-7, Dn:HR24-1, MB:HR24-5, Bm:HR21-2, Kt:H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV '00

#7 OFFLINE   ScoHo

ScoHo

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

So if I get the Genie and keep the DVR, when I press "List" on the DVR, I will also see and watch the recordings on the Genie (and vice-versa, if I press List on the Genie, I'll be able to watch the recordings on the HR20)?

Edited by ScoHo, 14 August 2013 - 06:48 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,420 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

Yep.

Drew
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR:HR34-7, Dn:HR24-1, MB:HR24-5, Bm:HR21-2, Kt:H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV '00

#9 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,738 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:33 PM

Yes, after a couple of settings in the Menu....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,493 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

Yes, after a couple of settings in the Menu....

WHDVR is on by default....

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#11 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:23 PM

Including settings defaulting to let all boxes delete, etc.??

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,493 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

Including settings defaulting to let all boxes delete, etc.??

well, the OP was asking if all he had to do was press "list" and that is the case. watching via WHDVR does not require to set the delete settings

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   ScoHo

ScoHo

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:10 PM

Awesome.  Thanks for the info guys.  Sounds like a no-brainer - get the Genie, but keep the HR20.  FYI, I did the "dash" trick and it doesn't appear I have SWM as it just said some numbers and Internet Connected.

One more question - it sounds to me like my best bet is to keep the HR20, replace one of the HD tuners with the Genie, and keep the other HD tuner rather than get one of those Mini Genie clients?  From what I read, it sounds like the Mini client requires a coax run from the main Genie server, which I don't already have (I have coax to every room in the house, but they're all homerun lines from the main box).  So it just seems like it would be a more complicated installation if I were to replace the other HD tuner with a mini client.

#14 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,661 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:31 PM

The client needs the same coax wiring as the receiver. Either will work at the receiver location using that coax.  The difference is with the client you pretty much have full control of the Genie whereas with the receiver you can schedule a recording on the Genie, and watch a recording from the Genie, but that is all. On the other hand, the receiver has it's own tuner and is not using one of the Genie's 5 tuners.  So there are pros and cons both ways. Either will work, just a matter of preference on your part.

#15 OFFLINE   ScoHo

ScoHo

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

The client needs the same coax wiring as the receiver. Either will work at the receiver location using that coax.  The difference is with the client you pretty much have full control of the Genie whereas with the receiver you can schedule a recording on the Genie, and watch a recording from the Genie, but that is all. On the other hand, the receiver has it's own tuner and is not using one of the Genie's 5 tuners.  So there are pros and cons both ways. Either will work, just a matter of preference on your part.

Oh okay.  When I was reading about the Genie it sounded like the Coax to the mini client had to come directly from the main Genie server, but it sounds like you're saying the coax for the mini client can come from the main satellite feed.

#16 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

Yes! 

#17 OFFLINE   DrZ

DrZ

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

Thinking about moving up the the Genie myself. What is the deal with the wireless client? Can you watch live and recored TV in a room without a coax connection?

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,903 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

Correct (but you can't get one yet).

http://hr20.dbstalk....s/C41W-100R.pdf

#19 OFFLINE   DrZ

DrZ

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

When should it be available? If I make the jump the the genie (and I'm assuming I'll need to go back under contract to do so unless I play full freight) I'd like to get this option my the upstair bedroom.

#20 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,117 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

I have a related situation...

In my living room, I have multiple receivers, included among them are two HR20-700s, which provide for my OTA viewing, too. On both of these HR20-700s are numerous recordings yet to be viewed. Moreover, one of the HR20s has a 1TB external hard drive attached to it, and that drive has many recordings on it.

Can I replace these two HR20s with one Genie, deactivate the HR20s, but still watch recorded shows on them? They're leased, so I'm concerned that if I do deactivate them, DirecTV will want them back, thereby precluding me from saving the recordings for eventual viewing. 

Removing these two HR20s would save me their respective monthly fees, correct?

Edited to add something important: I have Whole Home DVR service, but through ethernet connection. I have an SWM setup but am maxed out at the present time in tuners off that dish setup.

Edited by Lord Vader, 15 August 2013 - 12:58 PM.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

spam firewall