Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should I get a Genie?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

If you currently have Whole Home DVR and DirecTV installed it for you then you most likely have SWM.  If you are using whole home over an ethernet network that you hooked up then you might not have SWM, the next way to check is to see how many coax cables are hooked to the back of your HR20.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

I have a related situation...

In my living room, I have multiple receivers, included among them are two HR20-700s, which provide for my OTA viewing, too. On both of these HR20-700s are numerous recordings yet to be viewed. Moreover, one of the HR20s has a 1TB external hard drive attached to it, and that drive has many recordings on it.

Can I replace these two HR20s with one Genie, deactivate the HR20s, but still watch recorded shows on them? They're leased, so I'm concerned that if I do deactivate them, DirecTV will want them back, thereby precluding me from saving the recordings for eventual viewing. 

Removing these two HR20s would save me their respective monthly fees, correct?

If you remove the coax and ethernet wiring from them before you call DirecTV and have them turned off then you should still be able to watch the recordings off them for a little while.  How long can be kind of a crapshoot between power outages, firmware versions, etc.  You will have to watch the recordings off them directly though, as whole home DVR won't work with them anymore.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#23 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

If you currently have Whole Home DVR and DirecTV installed it for you then you most likely have SWM.  If you are using whole home over an ethernet network that you hooked up then you might not have SWM, the next way to check is to see how many coax cables are hooked to the back of your HR20.

I edited my post to add some important information. 

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#24 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

You will have to watch the recordings off them directly though, as whole home DVR won't work with them anymore.

That's not a problem.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#25 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

I edited my post to add some important information. 

That post was aimed toward ScoHo not you.

For your issue, I think as long as you remove the coax and ethenet cables from the HR20 before you have DirecTV disconnect them you will be fine.  DirecTV will not make you send them back since they are HR20s.  However, if you do this while the technician is there they may have the technician take them with him to send them back, so I would either have them disconnected before or after the tech is there to install the genie.  My recommendation is before.  It is likely if you disconnect them before they will let you do a self install of the genie.

-by Jack Handy

#26 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:06 PM

That sounds sensible. BTW, if I continue my unofficially supported Whole Home DVR service (meaning my ethernet, self-connected DVRs), does this make a difference with the Genie? 

#27 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

I don't think they will let you continue unsupported with a Genie.  Are you paying the $3 Whole Home fee now?  If so, it won't really matter as even if they supply you with the Cinema Connection Kit, you can unhook that and run the ethernet directly to your Genie (if it is near your router).

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#28 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

The Genie would not be near my router. However, it would be hard-wired to a device that is connected directly to my UVerse connection. (UVerse allows 2 direct connect ports. My second port is in my living room while my main one with the router is in the office/guest room.)

#29 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

Are you doing a self install?  If so, then set it up any way you choose!  If not, after the tech leaves, undo and redo in your favorite setup.

I undid my CCK after the installer left.  Don't need it.  But my setup is not unsupported.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#30 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

Are you doing a self install?  If so, then set it up any way you choose!  If not, after the tech leaves, undo and redo in your favorite setup.

I undid my CCK after the installer left.  Don't need it.  But my setup is not unsupported.

It would be a self-install. 

BTW, if I do go this route, should I get an HR34 or an HR44? Is there really a significant difference between the two for my purposes?

#31 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:32 PM

I don't think you get to choose your Genie.  But the HR44 is faster and smaller.  Both are phenomenal for what they are designed for.

My Setup

#32 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:38 PM

Well, I get to choose IF I buy one outright. ;)

I can get a brand new HR34, unused, unactivated, etc., for a damn good price. The HR44 is $75 more; hence my asking if there really is a difference; i.e., is it really worth $75 more to get the 44 over the 34? What does the 44 have that the 34 not have?

#33 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

Ah!!  You are buying....

HR44 is much smaller, the power supply is external instead of internal, and it is faster.  I think it is noticeably faster - but that is all in the eye of the beholder. 

I also think (note the word think -not sure), that you can use the older remotes on the 34 in both IR and RF.  The 44 can only use the old remotes in IR.  It comes standard with the new peanut remote, which has its very own thread on drawbacks (for some people).

The HR44 also has wireless capability for internet access and future wireless clients.

Hope that helps!

My Setup

#34 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

OK, thanks. That helps, though I don't like that external power supply thing--that's just another physical thing clogging up my floor behind my much cluttered home theater setup.  :P

#35 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

Looks like I'll go with the 44. It's smaller anyway. Now if I can convince DirecTV to ship me a new AM21, I'll be all set. I do miss the internal OTA tuners on these newer receivers. 

#36 OFFLINE   ScoHo

ScoHo

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:48 PM

I hooked up all of the networking stuff myself and called to activate whole home.  The back of my HR20 has two coax going into it, each of which has those BBC converter things inline.  I also see a big wideband 6x8 multiswitch where the dish feed comes into the house.

#37 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

You can press the dash button on the remote and the screen will tell you whether or not you have a SWiM.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using DBSTalk mobile app

My Setup

#38 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,419 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

When should it be available? If I make the jump the the genie (and I'm assuming I'll need to go back under contract to do so unless I play full freight) I'd like to get this option my the upstair bedroom.

they are being tested on a few markets right now. it could be a few months before they become available nationwide

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#39 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

OK, thanks. That helps, though I don't like that external power supply thing--that's just another physical thing clogging up my floor behind my much cluttered home theater setup.   :P

However, I believe that the advantages of an external power supply greatly outweigh the "another physical thing" disadvantage.

With an HR-34, if the power supply dies, you need to get a new Genie, which will cause you to lose any programming that is already recorded.  With the HR-44, if the power supply dies, you will just get a new external power supply and won't lose any recordings.

A power supply creates heat.  Heat is the enemy of hard drives.  Keeping the power supply out of the same box that houses the hard drive can reduce the likelihood of heat related hard drive failures.

Because the HR-44 is internally cooler than the HR-34 (due to the external power supply), the internal fan almost never turns on (most people here have reported that the only time that the fan ever turns on is during a reboot where testing the fan is part of the power up process).  Therefore the HR044 is quieter than the HR-34.

#40 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:55 AM

Oh, I know; I agree with your comments and actually like the idea of an external power supply. I guess I'll just have to keep all my adapters straight, because God knows there are a lot of them back there. 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...