Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should I get a Genie?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

I'm going to switch out the 5LNB w/ SWM that I currently have as part of my Slimline dish with a 5LNB w/o SWM so I can use a separate powered SWM16. I noticed when looking at my current dish, that there are no screws whatsoever at the end of the feed arm going into the LNB assembly. I looked only to see what I'll have to do to disassemble this to replace with the aforementioned one. Am I nuts to think that the MDU guy who installed this dish was too stupid to use screws to hold in place the LNB assembly? Wouldn't these screws be visible? I can't see any at all.

This makes me wonder how that thing actually has stayed on the dish without falling apart (or at least slightly dislocating itself). I also wonder if this would in any way cause raid fade to be more likely, because the receivers connected to this dish suffer rain fade if a bird pees on its way past the dish, but the dish off the building rarely has rain fade.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

The dish that they installed at my parents this weekend didn't use screws to hold the LNB in place, instead it had a little lever underneath the arm that you turned and it clamped down on the LNB.  Any chance yours is that style?

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#43 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:12 PM

Yeah they went to a quick release type system instead if screws a couple years ago. It's great actually. Don't have to worry about dropping those tiny little nuts and bolts anymore. Bad if you want to switch to a non quick release type lnb.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#44 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

The dish that they installed at my parents this weekend didn't use screws to hold the LNB in place, instead it had a little lever underneath the arm that you turned and it clamped down on the LNB.  Any chance yours is that style?

I didn't see a lever, IIRC, but I'll look again next time I'm able to do so. I remember seeing what I thought was a little "button" of some sort; that is, something to press to release the feed arm from the assembly. This isn't what you're talking about, is it?

Yeah they went to a quick release type system instead if screws a couple years ago. It's great actually. Don't have to worry about dropping those tiny little nuts and bolts anymore. Bad if you want to switch to a non quick release type lnb.

The replacement LNB assembly I have is exactly like the current SWM one, minus the built-in SWM, of course. Therefore, it should connect in the same manner (whatever that is).

FWIW, I tried to Google installation instructions or some sort of manual, but I couldn't find anything other than a spec sheet that had cursory pictures on it, ones that showed the two screws installation.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#45 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

This is what their's looks like (minus the folding LNB arm).  You can see the little lever under the LNB.  Rotate that lever away from the reflector and it loosens up so the LNB can slide out the end.

large_25_sl2-1.jpg

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#46 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

That's definitely not what I have, unfortunately. No such lever is present, which is too bad, because that's rather nice. My current LNB w/ SWM assembly has neither a lever like that above nor any screws, so how the heck is it staying put?  :scratch:

#47 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

This is what their's looks like (minus the folding LNB arm).  You can see the little lever under the LNB.  Rotate that lever away from the reflector and it loosens up so the LNB can slide out the end.

large_25_sl2-1.jpg

Or more formally explained when it made its debut some three years back actually. 

Attached Files

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#48 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

Is it just me, or is that type of feed arm for LNBs other than the 5LNB Slimline dishes? Maybe that's why mine doesn't have the lever. 

Edited to say never mind. That guide does appear to show one of the wider, 5LNB assemblies with said lever. Regardless, my feed arm has the little "button" in the middle, but no lever and no screws are present. Hmmm.....

#49 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

Bad if you want to switch to a non quick release type lnb.

Actually with the exception of just one LNB model type (it is a 5LNB and it has an overlap at the bottom, that can be broken off) all Slimline LNBs fit the newer lever LNB arm

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#50 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

That won't solve my problem, though. It looks like I'm going to have to get the proper 2 screws and nuts to securely fasten the LNB to the feed arm.

I can't believe the installer was so stupid that he just stuck the two pieces together without securing the LNB assembly.

Sent from my EVO LTE using DBSTalk mobile app

#51 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:36 PM

Perhaps when you get a chance you can post some pics

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#52 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

I'll try to do that shortly.

Sent from my EVO LTE using DBSTalk mobile app

#53 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

Perhaps when you get a chance you can post some pics

OK, folks, here are 4 pics that show how my LNB assembly is "secured" (or not, for that matter) to the feed arm.

Attached Thumbnails

• Dish pic 1.jpg
  • Dish pic 2.jpg
  • Dish pic 3.jpg
  • Dish pic 4.jpg

#54 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

Yup, for folks like you, was that DirecTV developed the new lever LNB feed arm!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#55 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:13 PM

I actually tried to find that one as an individual item for sale, but I couldn't.

#56 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

Well, tomorrow I do the swapping out. I took a closer look at the current LNB assembly this evening. Wow! That thing is just sitting in there. In fact, it's quite wobbly. I can't believe the installer just stuck it in there and was "done" with it. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer installs a large window air conditioner (the Commando 8, IIRC) in Jerry's apartment window by simply sticking it into the window opening, closing the blinds on top of it, then walking away proclaiming success on the installation. Sent from my EVO LTE using DBSTalk mobile app

#57 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

My current setup has a power inserter that is connected to the 8-way splitter into which the single coax comes from the dish's SWM LNB. Because I am going to replace the SWM LNB with a legacy one that runs 4 cables into a powered SWM16, can I just disconnect the current power inserter that is presently being used? Here's what is going to be the finished setup:

• From one of the SWM16's outputs will come one coax into the splitter, which will have 3 HD DVRs connected.
  • From the other SWM16's output will come one cable directly into the HR44.

I'm just trying to make sure it's all connected properly considering the SWM16 is now a separate, powered item.

BTW, regarding the HR44 and my Harmony remote, which controls multiple HD DVRs--does the HR44 have IR remote codes from which I can select one to work in my setup? IIRC, I have remote codes of 00001, 00002, etc. for my current DVRs in this Harmony configuration; hence my asking about the HR44's remote codes.

#58 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

The SWM16 has a dedicated power port to which you can connect the PI. If you don't want to use that, you can connect the PI to the power-passing port on the 4-way splitter you will have from the SWM16 Output 1.

- Merg

• Lord Vader likes this

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#59 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

That's the way it's currently set up--4 HD DVRs connect to an 8-way splitter, from whose power port is the PI that is used in my LNB w/ SWM configuration. So, let me know if it's really this easy:

1. I leave that present configuration alone--it remains the same: the 4 receivers connected to the splitter with the PI from the splitter. (The difference is that the coax to this splitter will now come from the SWM16 port 1 and not the dish's LNB w/ SWM.
  2. From the SWM16's port 2 will come a coax directly to the HR44 (no PI needed then for this receiver?).

Is the above correct?

#60 OFFLINE   toricred

toricred

• Registered
  • 77 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Mexico

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

I'm getting ready to do this same thing, but with an SL3.  Is there a difference between the LNBs that use the release lever and the ones with the bolts?  My current LNB uses the bolts and I want to make sure the SL3 I'm looking at will work.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...