Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GenieGO storage capacity remaining

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Socalmike

Socalmike

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

Just started working with GeneiGo. At first I was very disappointed with the  time to load to my tablet (Galaxy 2 10.1). It was downloading at a rate of 1 to1 for the length of the program. After some research I found that you can pre download programs (still at 1 to1) to the GenieGo accessed through the PC app. Then downloading to the tablet for a 2 hour program would then complete in 6 to 7 minutes. This is much more acceptable!

The question now is how do I see the remaining storage capacity on the GenieGo?

Thank you

Edited by Socalmike, 14 August 2013 - 12:26 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,592 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

Just started working with GeneiGo. At first I was very disappointed with the  time to load to my tablet (Galaxy 2 10.1). It was downloading at a rate of 1 to1 for the length of the program. After some research I found that you can pre download programs (still at 1 to1) to the GenieGo accessed through the PC app. Then downloading to the tablet for a 2 hour program would then complete in 6 to 7 minutes. This is much more acceptable!

The question now is how do I see the remaining storage capacity on the GenieGo?

Thank you

A transcode is a 2-step operation. Conversion and copy.

The GenieGo converts the program at 1:1 and stores it in GenieGo's memory, after which it automtically copies the file to whichever client requested it, whether it be a tablet, smartphone or PC. Once it's transcoded, a copy of the show is also kept in GenieGo memory. That show will appear as "ready to download" to another GenieGo client. That subsequent copy is fast, because the 1:1 conversion step is already done.

To see how much memory is left in the GenieGo, go to "help", "system info" on the client. DirecTV quotes a more conservative number, but in my experience you can store about 25 hours of HD on a stock GenieGo before the oldest transcode will be deleted to make room for the newest.

Also, once a show is deleted from your DVR, it gets deleted from GenieGo memory as well. Any copy of that show already on one of your clients won't be automatically deleted for 30 days, however.

/steve

#3 OFFLINE   Socalmike

Socalmike

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:21 PM

Thank you for the explanation

#4 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,531 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

And with today's USB memory prices you can add 16 or 32 GB very cheaply.  And it adds to the 16 of GG.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...