Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Picture quality upgrade!!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   NCwolfpack00

NCwolfpack00

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:32 PM

I just installed the OTA Module for my hopper. I love it. I just completed a test. I recorded the same 1 hr show on the hopper at the same time. I recorded it on my local station. The station OTA signal and the Dish Locals delivered by dish satellites. The Dish local station file size on the hopper was 2.468GB. The same 1 hr show had a file size of 5.475GB when recorded using OTA module. This demonstrates the amount of picture quality info that Dish loses when transmitting over the sats. I thought this was interesting. I wish Dish could transmit all stations at full original bandwidth.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:28 PM

Its pretty common knowledge OTA are better quality as they are not compressed at all. Dish and all other providers have to compress the broadcast for bandwidth reasons as you seem to already know.

• RG6-Q likes this

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

To be fair...  That is a misleading comparison somewhat.

The SAT-delivered locals are MPEG4, while OTA is MPEG2... so IF all other things are equal, one would expect a substantially larger file size from OTA on that basis alone.

I do agree with you, though, that usually the OTA signal is also less compressed...  but that file size comparison alone can be misleading on just what the difference is.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

Its pretty common knowledge OTA are better quality as they are not compressed at all. Dish and all other providers have to compress the broadcast for bandwidth reasons as you seem to already know.

OTA is compressed too.  Nobody has the bandwidth to transmit raw/uncompressed HD video signals...

#5 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

The PQ difference between Dish and OTA were more apparent to my eyes back in the SD days.  The SD versions of local stations on satellite were terrible!  One time I watched a football game that was played in a snowstorm.  The falling snow caused the wide shots to be a pixellated mess.

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#6 OFFLINE   Vulpine

Vulpine

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationChicagoland, IL

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

To be fair...  That is a misleading comparison somewhat.

The SAT-delivered locals are MPEG4, while OTA is MPEG2... so IF all other things are equal, one would expect a substantially larger file size from OTA on that basis alone.

I do agree with you, though, that usually the OTA signal is also less compressed...  but that file size comparison alone can be misleading on just what the difference is.

Hi, new to the forum, and I've only been lurking for a short time.

The concern I have with the OTA module would be that it compresses the signal (especially through the USB connection).  I'm guessing from above that there isn't any compression, but I want to be sure.

Thanks!

#7 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 383 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

The concern I have with the OTA module would be that it compresses the signal (especially through the USB connection).  I'm guessing from above that there isn't any compression, but I want to be sure.

Thanks!

I can't say if there is any compression but OTA picture quality is excellent.

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:17 PM

Thanks!

I can't swear it... but all the OTA module should be doing is receiving the OTA transmission and delivering it as-is to the receiver.

Since all of these Dish receivers either have an internal OTA tuner OR an OTA module that you install to a proprietary port OR use a USB 2.0 interface (Hopper)... I see no need for the module itself to do anything to the signal in order to deliver it to the receiver.

#9 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

The data path width for SATA 2.0 is more than adequate to handle the 18GB ATSC channel bandwidth, no compression needed for a usb connection.

OTA signal is already compressed by the network/station/originator, saying OTA is not compressed is patently untrue, because it is transmitted with MPEG2 compression.

The HD signal originally is a tremendous amount of data.

For each pixel there are many data points and each frame on the screen has 2,000,000 pixels, 30 of these frames being transmitted every second.

MPEG2 compression packs this data into less than an 18gigabit/second signal.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...