Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New customer all very confusing

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cartertucker

cartertucker

• Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

I am considering DTV for my new house but am getting different stories from different re-sellers and DTV direct as well.

Here is my setup: 10 TVs with 3-4 on a Genie system. Seems simple.

Placed order with Costco. They said they can only put an order in for 5 TVs (4 TVs on the Genie plus $100 for 1 HD box). As far as the additional TVs, just let the installer know, no problem, and pay $100 for each extra HD box.  Installer came twice but had to leave because they did not have a SWM16. 30 days elapsed and order auto cancelled. Monthly promo pricing for top package will be around $86/mo for 1st 12 months.

Called reseller who would get me same pricing as Costco (minus $200 gift card) but said I would have to pay $300 for SWM16 in addition to the cost of the additional boxes.

Called DTV and they said they'd include the SWM16 for free (probably) but didn't know for sure. The installer will take care of it there. Don't worry.

One last complication: since the house is under construction 1 will only have 5 TVs ready to go right off when I want to start service but the other 5 will be ready in 20-30 days.

This is all very frustrating. Any advice for a new member?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,528 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

New customer deals through Direct TV seem to always be the best offers.  If you have a friend with Direct TV you can have them refer you and then you both get a large credit for 1 year (or maybe more?)

I do believe that you will never get an offer that covers 10 types of receivers though.  You will have to fork out for the rest of them

You can check out the Wanted to Sell section here at DBStalk and see if any catch your fancy.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   cartertucker

cartertucker

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

is the SWM16 free direct from DTV? Reseller said no but DirecTV seemed to say yes.

ETA, one of the dealers came back and said he could offer me a SWM16 for $125 but never heard of DTV giving one away for free.

Edited by cartertucker, 15 August 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,528 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:33 PM

Should be if you get the new customer deal and are getting a Genie.  You might have to do some negotiating to get the very best deal possible.  And I hate false threats, but if you have to drop the words "Dish Network" or "Comcast" or "Fios" or whatever, then you might do that.

Definitely look into whether or not any of your friends have DTV so you can get additional credits as well.  And if they do, you have to order through a special phone number, not the regular Direct TV number.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

For a new customer you can probably get a Genie and 3 Clients for free from DirecTV.

When you add the other 6 receivers, you will probably have to buy them and they would at that time change you out to a SWM 16 and not charge for that.

I base this on what I have read on here.

Edited by jimmie57, 15 August 2013 - 12:37 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 ONLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

With a new customer order you can setup a Genie, 3 mini's and 2 HD receivers. Tell the person placing the order that you want the tech to know you will want another 4 HD receivers and to bring a SWM 16. This may not happen but when the tech shows up he can get the work order modified and rescheduled for another day. If you have the work done through DIRECTV then support equipment is included with your order. If you go through a dealer they will charge you extra.

The other option to guarantee a SWM 16 would be to order a Genie, 3 mini's and 2 HD DVR's. This would be 9 tuners from the get go and a SWM 16 would be automatic.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 322 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

10 TVs is a pretty robust setup. Like jimmie57 said, you should be able to get 4 TVs covered for free with a Genie system via a new customer deal.  Then you would add on other receivers when your house is fully built out.  Hopefully that build out includes all cabling to all possible AV/TV/CPU locations so an installer could easily set up and expand your DTV system. 

Perhaps you can get some other receivers thrown in on the original new customer deal?  Not sure.  That's a call to DirecTV.  I would imagine you would not want to go with only regular "HD", single tuner, no DVR receivers.  Perhaps add a couple more HD DVRs to the mix?  But in the end, yes, you will need at least a SWM-16 to service 10 TVs.

Personally, I would deal directly with DirecTV.  I've never met a reseller that was able to handle special requests well. 

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#8 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

Just have the install done with the Genie three clients and H25 done like you had on the original order.  That will get you set up with the 5 TVs you have ready.

Then a couple weeks later call and order the additional boxes you want, set the installation date for after the rest of the TVs will be ready.  You will have to pay full price for them anyway, so it really isn't that big of a deal when you order them.  When the installer comes with the rest of the boxes the SWM 16 (and legacy LNB) should already be on the work order and he will just install them then.

The only disadvantage here is your 2 year agreement will start over the day the additional boxes are installed.  But I'm guessing if that is only a month or two after the original install that shouldn't be a big deal.  And don't worry it starts over, not adds on.  So you will just end up having to be with DirecTV for like 25 or 26 months (if you get them a month or two later), not 48 months or anything like that.

Edit/

Also just so you know, you can have more than 3 genie clients if that would work for you.  For some reason many CSRs/retailers/installers don't think that you can.  However, you have to realise that you can only use 3 of them at any one time since the Genie can only stream out to 3 remote receivers.  So if there are only a couple people in the house most of the time, and you just have TVs in many locations it can work fine.  But if you need to be able to watch TV in more than 4 locations at any one time then you will want to stick with a mixture of clients and receivers like you are planning now.

Edited by Beerstalker, 15 August 2013 - 01:20 PM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

How many people in your household? I'd look at maybe a mix with a couple dvrs just for the kids if you have one or two to keep there stuff separate. Could always just get those and add the clients latter.

However I say get it all installed now. Why wait till you have all the tvs?

#10 OFFLINE   cartertucker

cartertucker

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

I have 2 adults and 2 kids. I am ok with 4-5 Genie clients but with guests staying over, I probably want a few HD boxes. I am getting tripped up on having to pay for the SWM16 or not. Dealer says yes, DTV wasn't sure but didn't think so.

#11 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,528 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

As mentioned, you shop for the best deal. If they say "no" on the SWiM, you then walk away, or ask for a higher up CSR.  Then you call back and play CSR roulette. Sometimes threatening to walk away will seal the deal.

My Setup

#12 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,194 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

is the SWM16 free direct from DTV? Reseller said no but DirecTV seemed to say yes.

ETA, one of the dealers came back and said he could offer me a SWM16 for $125 but never heard of DTV giving one away for free.

An order as large as yours should only pay for the receivers. You should insist on credit for all the other charges.

A note about Genie Minis. It they're being used, they use one of the Genie five tuners. A tuner being used can NOT record.

If I was you, I would put the Minis in the least use locations and think about getting at least another DVR [HR24] instead of only non-hard drive receivers [H25 or H24].

Another note - SWiM16 allows 16 tuners. Genie has five tuners, DVRs ['HR'] have two and Receivers ['H'] have one tuner. Unless you got future plans to add more TVs, you might as make full use of the SWiM16 now.

Edited by Drucifer, 15 August 2013 - 01:52 PM.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#13 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

Like the others said, if you order the additional receivers from DirecTV the SWM 16 and legacy LNB will be included in the install for free (you might have to pay $50 for the install visit though since it is so close to your original install).

If you have a local contractor install it for you they are most likely going to try to charge you for as much as they can, so you will probably pay for the SWM16, LNB, visit, etc.  That is the price you pay for dealing with a local installer instead of just using DirecTV's subcontracted installers.  Sometimes though it is worth it as they may be more willing to do stuff against normal DirecTV policy, have earlier appointment times, etc.  Notice, when I say against normal DirecTV policy I mean stuff like installing a SWM16 when you would be fine with a SWM LNB, using a SL5 instead of an SL3 when you don't need it, mounting a dish in a certain location the subcontractor wouldn't put it, fishing wires through walls, attics, etc.  I'm not suggesting they will do stuff that is illegal or against the terms of service.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#14 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

Don't worry about paying for the SWM-16.  If it's necessary, DirecTV will install it for free.

IMO, you concerns should be the following...

- If you try to do the install 50% now and 50% later, you will end up paying more than if you had it all done at once.  DirecTV will give good deals to new customers.  But when you are a 2 month old customer, you will pay full price for additional receivers.

- if you do the install 50% now and 50% later, and the first install contains 8 tuners or less (Genie, 3 HD receivers, 3 Genie clients for example), the installer isn't going to install a SWM-16.  He will install a SWM LNB on the dish, with one wire coming into the house (assuming that you have a centralized wiring location in the house.  When the second install is done and you go over 8 tuners, the second installer will replace the LNB with a standard 4 line LNB and run the additional 3 lines into the house and install the SWM-16.  If I were going with two separate phases, I'd make sure that phase 1 included 9 tuners or more to get the SWM-16 installed the first time.

- The Genie can only serve 3 clients at once (this includes any HD receivers that are accessing recorded programming from the Genie).  So, you don't want to get 4-5 Genie Clients.  You'd be much better off having a combination of a Genie, HD DVR's and receivers.  If you go over 16 tuners, don't worry about that either.  DirecTV will give you two SWM-16's if necessary.  Having one Genie and 9 HD DVR's will cost you the same amount every month as having one Genie and a combination of receivers and Genie Clients.  You will pay more upfront for the DVR's.  But your monthly bill will be identical.  DirecTV monthly charges are per "box", not per tuner.

#15 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,528 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:00 PM

I agree with Drew.  Very good advice.

My Setup

#16 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

I have 2 adults and 2 kids. I am ok with 4-5 Genie clients but with guests staying over, I probably want a few HD boxes. I am getting tripped up on having to pay for the SWM16 or not. Dealer says yes, DTV wasn't sure but didn't think so.

Dealer wants you to pay them $125 or whatever it was for the SWM 16 thats why they are saying you have to pay for it.... like others said, if its required Directv will install it for free.. worst case, you can get your hands on one though e-bay for $40-$50 and have it ready for the installer when he comes...

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#17 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

Will your new home already be wired? You will need four coax cables from the dish location to wherever all the home run coax is for the home. At that location is where the SWM16 will be located. From there, a single coax to each TV location is needed.

If your home is not pre-wired, then the DirecTV installer is going to run coax around the outside of the structure, going the fastest and easiest way to run the coax. But the same requirements, four coax from the dish to a common point, then individual coax to each TV location.

See post #6 from Joe Tylman above and follow his advice. There are limits as to what you can order up front for a new customer, but the workaround Joe recommends is the easiest way to get to your ultimate goal.

You also need to decide whether or not you want any DVRs in addition to the Genie.  Keep in mind that the Genie can stream a maximum of three things at any given time. That can be recordings (to any client or receiver) or live tuners (to clients) or a mix of those.  The suggestion to have one or two DVRs for the kids to do their own recordings is a good idea to consider.

If you have a Genie, 3 clients, and 6 receivers you cover your ten locations with limited ability to watch recordings.

If you have a Genie, 3 clients, 2 DVRs, and 4 receivers you cover your ten locations and 3 of them have their own recording capability.

You can have almost any combination as long as you do not exceed 16 tuners. The Genie has 5, DVRs have 2 and receivers have 1. Clients don't have their own tuners.

#18 OFFLINE   tomski35

tomski35

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

You're going to be paying $54 a month just in lease fees. Make them comp the switch that enables this annuity stream.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#19 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

You can set up more than 6 receivers on your initial order.  Here's how it should work.  The agent will set up the initial order for 6 receivers(this is all that your order confirmation will show, as the system will only allow the agent to put in 6 on the initial set up), then the agent will schedule you for more than three days out to allow time for your work order to be modified with the additional receivers, from there the agent's supervisor will escalate the account information to add the additional receivers.  So your order confirmation will show the charges for only the first 6 receivers, however your first bill will show charges for the additional receivers you add.  As mentioned before the SWIM 16 is free (if it's needed to meet the installation requirements).  Also as mentioned before it's best to order all at once, if you wait will after you are installed to add more receivers you will pay an extra $50 (upgrade charge) on top of the cost of the receivers and an extra $49.95(for the separate installation).

#20 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

One thing I dont see mentioned (but I didnt read every word) is that past 4 tvs I probably would use a dealer because the setup IS so robust.  Im not sure they can handle the additional equipment required to make everything work.

Just my opinion anyway.

Edited by Xsabresx, 15 August 2013 - 05:25 PM.

since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

Protected By... spam firewall...And...