Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Expected HR-44 got HR34. Not sure of the diff

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:08 PM

I do know the HR44 does wireless streaming, but that really isn't relevant to me.

My question is, are there other technology differences between the two? The tech (who had a snyde attitude and i should have just hung up on) told me there is absolutely no difference in the two. Then said he'd rather have the 44. When i asked what the difference was, he said there is none, so i stated that they don't change model numbers, there HAS to be a reason for the change, and he again said there is no difference but the 44 uses a different remote. To which i replied... so there's a difference.

he was a snotty little kid that clearly didn't know the answers to the quetsions, to i just got through the call and came here where actual intelligence can be found.

Can someone tell me why i got a 34 if there are 44s shipping? and what is the dif? is this something I need to return? the reason I ask is because I will keep this for 2 years. a couple days wiating for the right receiever makes sense if that's what i should be getting.

The remote is the same as my 24, which....stinks. and I do like the look of the new remote, but frankly that's not a reason to dislike the box.

Can someone help me out? i did find one thread here stating that one difference is that the 44 has wireless built in so it can stream to the minis without cables. I will RARELY use the minis to watch anything o the genie anyway, so that's rather inimportant to me.

before I activate this i should know what the differences are, and I'm wondering if anyone can help.

P.S. I did find that the 44 will not work in R/F mode with the old ugly remote that i got i MUST have RF, so i'd like to know more about that.

if you were getting a box, expecting a 44 and got a 34 would you be happy? what are the real diffs? i'm concerned about things like power, but my guess is that hasn't changes. the 44 lookst o be a touch smaller, but that's a moot point to me.

Thanks, i'll wait to hook this up till i know.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,648 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

Functionally, there is little difference.  The HR44 is newer and smaller, comes with the new remote, and allows you to connect to your home network/internet wirelessly.  The HR44's wireless connection is only for connecting to your home network.  Per the First Look, the C41W requires a separate Wireless Video Bridge that works with the HR34 and HR44.  To stream from an HR44 or HR34 to an iPhone or iPad (I think Android devices also) and record content onto these devices you need a GenieGo.

I have an HR34 and have seen an HR44 in action.  While the HR44 may be a bit faster, I didn't notice any appreciable difference in performance that would make me replace my HR34.  I am perfectly happy with my HR34.

As for ordering a genie from DirecTV, they can't specify between an HR44 or HR34 and consider them the same, you get what is at the top of the stack.

* Sat - 5lnb slimline dish - SWM16 F/W 2.0.24
* Network - hardwired - Apple Airport / Uverse 2wire router > Dell Studio XPS 800, Win7 Ultimate 64 bit, 8GB ram, Intel Core i7-860 processor, nVidia GeForce GTS240
* HR44-200/AM21 - coax enabled networking - hdmi to Sony STR-DG810 - Sony Bravia KDL-EX740 | Bose Acoustimass 600 5.1 speakers | Sony PS3 | xBox 360 | AppleTV | GenieGo
* HR24-500 - coax enabled networking - hdmi - Vizio Razor M260VA
* HR34-700/AM21 - Ethernet bridged - hdmi = Sony Bravia KDL-V26XBR1 | Slingbox Pro via HDConnect component cable

#3 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

The First Looks and follow-on threads answers most of your questions. http://www.dbstalk.c...enie/?p=3068791

The 44 was just recently released and there are still plenty of 34s in the system. i

#4 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

Thanks for the link

I gotta say, based on this statement, I want the 44. so how do I go about getting this? am I stuck?

he HR44-700 is a truly amazing machine. Think: “HR34-700 on steroids”. In other words, it shrunk
and got WAY MORE POWERFUL at the same time. The basic specs are the same, but just about every
-
thing about this box is an improvement as compared to the HR34 - it’s smaller, lighter, and much, much
faster. For those who remember how much faster the HR24 was compared to the HR20 - 23 mod
-
els which came before, the level of performance improvement here is even greater. In fact, the HR44-
700 is the fastest HD receiver I’ve ever seen from DIRECTV, and that includes the H25, a non-DVR model.
-DBSTalk.com user LameLefty

#5 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 510 posts
  • LocationN Central Florida

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

It is unclear how you obtained your HR34. You stated it has not been activated? If so return it if you wish and wait it out for a HR44. You may purchase one for more than what Directv would likely charge though. Solid Signal would be the place for immediate purchase.

HR44-700 C41W-100 C41W-100, Choice Package, NFL ST, Distant Networks ABC CBS NBC FOX East/West

#6 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for the link

I gotta say, based on this statement, I want the 44. so how do I go about getting this? am I stuck?

The 34 is a good solid DVR. I've had mine almost 2 years and have never had a problem with it. Keep it and try it out. If it isn't to your liking, then order a 44 from Solid Signal or another third party retailer.

#7 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 806 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

P.S. I did find that the 44 will not work in R/F mode with the old ugly remote that i got i MUST have RF, so i'd like to know more about that.
if you were getting a box, expecting a 44 and got a 34 would you be happy? what are the real diffs? i'm concerned about things like power, but my guess is that hasn't changes. the 44 lookst o be a touch smaller, but that's a moot point to me.
Thanks, i'll wait to hook this up till i know.

There is almost 0 chance you would get an HR44 drop-shipped, so what you first want to do is DO NOT ACTIVATE! Once you activate you have no room, it is yours.

You'll need to call in, have them cancel the order they sent you, and send you what is called a Non-Activated Hardware label for the HR34. Then (and this can and should all be done on the same call) they will need to create an entirely new order for a Genie to be done with Standard Professional Installation. If they cancelled the original order, this will set up the same thing for the same price but will get a technician to install it for you. Now if you do not have the Protection Plan there may be a $49 fee for installation. However this is the only way you can be "guaranteed" an HR44. Note, this is not a guarantee at all, the tech could still show up with an HR34, however you will at least have any chance of getting a HR44. Be sure to make the agent you are speaking with notate on the technician notes (when they ask for your cross streets) to say something like "Please have HR44, HR34 will be refused at the door"

I have had both a 34 and a 44. The 34 was the best DVR I have ever had until my 44. But I don't notice the speed too much (except for rebooting, then it's ridiculous how fast the HR44 is). The main differences are the size (the HR34 is a whale, the HR44 is around the same size as an H24), the HR44 has optical audio out, there is an external power supply which should make the whole system last much longer, and because the power supply is now external the system is nearly silent. The only time the fans are supposed to run is very briefly on boot up or if there is something very wrong with the system (or you have a blanket covering it). And of course it has a built in Wireless CCK but as has been already mentioned that has nothing to do with whether or not you can use a C41W, because both the HR34 and HR44 need the external Wireless Video Bridge.

Good luck!

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#8 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,855 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

I do know the HR44 does wireless streaming, but that really isn't relevant to me.

My question is, are there other technology differences between the two? The tech (who had a snyde attitude and i should have just hung up on) told me there is absolutely no difference in the two. . . . .

The HR44 has an improve CPU.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#9 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

meh. i just bit the bullet and went ahead and activated it. I called, and even went to the supervisor and she said what i already knew, ther eis no way to guarantee a 44. so what I figured, I'll just use this, and when it breaks down the road, hopefully the replacement will be a 44.

PLEASE tell me the hanging, and speed problems from the 24 are resolved with the 34?

#10 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

PLEASE tell me the hanging, and speed problems from the 24 are resolved with the 34?

Actually, no. But those issues were fixed with the 44. 

(Just joking)

#11 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:09 AM

send that HR 34 back NOW while you still can.  it is a piece of CRAP that should have never been released.  i FINALLY gor fed up with mine after a year and a half of sluggishness, slow guide speeds, freezing for a few seconds at time, etc.  i just got the HR44 that i had to buy MYSELF and my first impressions are WOW is this thing FAST...and hasnt frozen up one time yet.  wait for the HR44...PERIOD.....a guy at work was offered the genie, and i told him do NOT get one UNTIL they GUARANTEE an HR44....PERIOD.

#12 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,616 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:24 AM

send that HR 34 back NOW while you still can.  it is a piece of CRAP that should have never been released.  i FINALLY gor fed up with mine after a year and a half of sluggishness, slow guide speeds, freezing for a few seconds at time, etc.  i just got the HR44 that i had to buy MYSELF and my first impressions are WOW is this thing FAST...and hasnt frozen up one time yet.  wait for the HR44...PERIOD.....a guy at work was offered the genie, and i told him do NOT get one UNTIL they GUARANTEE an HR44....PERIOD.

Your issues with "your" HR34 are not the norm for the HR34. And if you take the time you'll see there are plenty of threads with people stating issues with their HR44s.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

spam firewall