Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie install...hard wire or wireless?

genie hard wired wireless upgrade sat-60 hr21 hr22 r15

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tgard

tgard

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

I have had Directv since it first came out. I am about to get the Genie upgrade and was wondering...will the hard wire install that Directv "professionally" installs work better than the wireless one that I can install? I received the wireless cinema kit (95w/tax) and called Directv to enable whole home dvr service. They mentioned the free Genie and Mini and I of course couldn't say no. They recommended that an installer deliver and install my new Genie and mini sibling. They also mentioned that the installer would be hard wiring my connection instead of performing a wireless install as per company policy. Now I realize that I could always redo the install wirelessly but if they are going to all that trouble for free...

---INFO---

My antique system has 6 tv's sharing the service in my house. Two tv's are utilizing both Sat1 and Sat2 tuners on their respective H21/22 DVR's. The other 4 DVR's are using only Sat1 on their respective HR21(2) ,Sat-60 and R15 DVR's. (yes I said Sat-60),(It will be a shame to see it go) I also have WD hard drives installed on two of the units for extra storage. All of the units utilize an 8-way splitter. My router and modem are quite far from my intended Genie/TV install location but I have extended the wireless signal so that it reaches the intended Genie/TV install location but not all of the dvr locations.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20130815_175155_571.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,176 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

I can't speak for the others but the most replies and comments about wireless internet TV is to avoid it.

There is a ton of data for a Movie or similar.

If it is not too difficult I would use the hard wired method.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,812 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

The WCCK is an odd thing to have with an HR44.  They both do a similar thing.

Connect to your router wirelessly and bridge the internet to the receivers.

Unless the HR44 is too far from your router.

If the Ethernet cable is there use it.   If you plug a RJ45 cable from your router into the HR44 it will bridge the internet to all other receivers with Whole Home DvR Service.  Including the mini.  Many installers do not know this as reported here on dbstalk.

Wireless will work but for reliability, use the wire if its there or can be run to the HR44 easily.

BTW, your picture shows a mulitswitch.  That has to be changed with the Genie.  The installer will have a lot of work to do and you have legacy equipment.  Let the installer do the work. 

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,810 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:18 PM

Both the R15 and the Sat60 are going to have to go. Neither is compatible with SWM which is mandatory for the Genie.  If I'm reading your post correctly, you have four HR2x series DVRs plus the R15 and Sat60. If you replace those two (the two SD boxes) with the Genie and client, you will end up with 4 HR's plus the Genie plus the client. That adds up to 13 tuners, so DirecTV should replace the multiswitch you have shown in your picture with an SWM16 which will give you full dual tuner capability on all of the HRs.

#5 OFFLINE   tgard

tgard

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:20 PM

I will try to avoid a wireless connection for the very reasons you point out. I guess there is a good reason why installers want to do the wired install.

I hope I get the HR44 model and not the HR34 model but I won't know until they arrive. Should I hold out for the HR44 if they come with the HR34?

#6 OFFLINE   tgard

tgard

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

My modem, router and ethernet cable are all upstairs and my new HR44/34 is slated to go downstairs, quite a distance from them.

If they wire up the HR44/34 upstairs instead, other than changing to a SWM16 what needs to be done to get the other DVR's connected to Whole Home?

Will each of the other DVR's that currently use only Sat1 need an additional cable from the SWM16?

#7 OFFLINE   tgard

tgard

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

This is a great forum. Thank you all for your responses so far.

#8 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,026 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

With SWM all DVRs only need one cable.  The Whole Home will function the same wherever each unit is in your house and is automatically part of a Genie install

My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,726 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

My modem, router and ethernet cable are all upstairs and my new HR44/34 is slated to go downstairs, quite a distance from them.

If they wire up the HR44/34 upstairs instead, other than changing to a SWM16 what needs to be done to get the other DVR's connected to Whole Home?

Will each of the other DVR's that currently use only Sat1 need an additional cable from the SWM16?

DECAs

SWiM is single wire.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

Note that WHDVR sharing is only possible with HD and HDDVRs (and of course the Genie which is an HDDVR along with its clients). Per "DirecTV policy" those "legacy" DVRs will be swapped with R16 (or R22 if you are lucky) if they replace with R16, those will not be able to participate on WHDVR

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   tgard

tgard

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

Both of the legacy DVR's are being replaced in the installation with a Genie HR34/44 and a client.

I am having difficulty understanding the cabling of the WHDVR when the main component (HR44/34) is far away from the existing modem/router setup.

#12 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,726 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:58 PM

Everything is fed by the SWiM8 or 16. The HR34/44 would be just like any other receiver getting it feed from the SWiM8/16

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#13 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:41 AM

Ok, let me see if I can make it simpler. Basically, there will be a switch similar to what you have now that will feed all the units in the house. The difference is, one wire can feed multiple tuners, so you will have all tuners working for all your equipment. The new switch will support up to 16 tuners at one time, unlike being limited to 8 and needing a single wire for every tuner like you are now. As far as Internet connection via hard wire, it only has to enter the system in one place anywhere. The Internet feed actually then runs within the coax cable that is connecting all the units to the dish. It will then feed ALL units in the system. So if you have any TV next to the modem upstairs, they will install a splitter right there and connect it to the system. Or, they could run a line from where the switch is just to the modem and connect it that way. (By the way, the thing you have now that all the units are connected to is called a switch. Its not quite the same as a splitter. The new install will actually have two wires coming out of the switch into a couple splitters then the lines going to each room you will be using will connect to the splitters.) The Internet does not need to feed into the genie first to get to the rest of the system. However, it is the only unit made that can connect directly to the Internet and feed the entire system the Internet on its own. Other wises it takes one additional device they call the cck or wcck, which you just picked up. It really makes almost no difference how the Internet signal gets into the system, as long as it does somewhere. Did that help at all?

#14 OFFLINE   tgard

tgard

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:07 AM

I think I underestimated the capabilities of the cabling. It sounds like it works with the internet like the back feed of my current VoIP phone setup. Is that right?

That being said, will there be any conflict with my current setup that has a few diplexers combining a cable and satellite feed together on a few tv's?

#15 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,810 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:42 AM

That being said, will there be any conflict with my current setup that has a few diplexers combining a cable and satellite feed together on a few tv's?

Yeah, that won't work. No diplexing allowed. All the coax for DirecTV (SWM and DECA) has to be ONLY for DirecTV. If you have ota or internet or anything else, it will need separate coax.

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

But since it looks you have a legacy set up with dual lines feeding the DVRs, you can use the second line which is no longer needed in a SWM system to feed your OTA to DirecTV

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   tgard

tgard

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for all of the knowledge and advice. Looks like I have to do some juggling. 

#18 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:42 PM

I have a HR-44 Genie and 3 C41-100 with Uverse 24mbps turbomax plus voice bundle and my D* installer hooked my internet for the genie over coax and it seems to work very well.Better than wireless and just as good as ethernet.

Mas Ultra Package + NFL ST MAX (Go Bills) MLB Xtra innings (Go Yankees)
1  Genie HR 44 - 700
3   Mini Genie C41 - 100
1 AM21 OTA Tuner

#19 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,810 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:27 PM

I have a HR-44 Genie and 3 C41-100 with Uverse 24mbps turbomax plus voice bundle and my D* installer hooked my internet for the genie over coax and it seems to work very well.Better than wireless and just as good as ethernet.

Yes, that is the DECA network and is designed to work that way. What you can't do is combine cable TV, off-air TV, or cable internet (before the cable modem) onto the same coax as DirecTV.  For example, a single coax from the outside of your house to someplace inside can't be used by both DirecTV and the cable company at the same time.

#20 OFFLINE   tgard

tgard

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:51 AM

Carl, you mentioned in a previous response that a SWM 16 will be necessary for the install and that I will end up with 13 tuners. How does that break down per box? If is it 5 tuners for the Genie, 8 for the four HR2x's and 2 for the Client, it doesn't add up right. Help.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: genie, hard wired, wireless, upgrade, sat-60, hr21, hr22, r15

spam firewall