Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie install...hard wire or wireless?

genie hard wired wireless upgrade sat-60 hr21 hr22 r15

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:08 AM

Carl, you mentioned in a previous response that a SWM 16 will be necessary for the install and that I will end up with 13 tuners. How does that break down per box? If is it 5 tuners for the Genie, 8 for the four HR2x's and 2 for the Client, it doesn't add up right. Help.

The clients don't have their own tuners - they use the Genie's.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Steve

My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,167 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:18 AM

Carl, you mentioned in a previous response that a SWM 16 will be necessary for the install and that I will end up with 13 tuners. How does that break down per box? If is it 5 tuners for the Genie, 8 for the four HR2x's and 2 for the Client, it doesn't add up right. Help.

The Clients do not have tuners, but borrow from the Genie's. So the total tuner count is only 13.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#23 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,449 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:41 AM

A Genies uses 5 tuners 

an HR2x or TiVO or SD DVR uses 2 tuners

an HD or SD receiver uses 1 tuner

an RVU client uses 0 tuners

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#24 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,011 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

Others have answered how the count goes. I was basing 13 on your statement of ending up with 4 HR2x (8 tuners) and a Genie (5 tuners) (plus one or more cleints).

#25 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,607 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

While the number question has been answered a few times, you also need to know that there cannot be more than eight tuners on each leg of the SWiM 16. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#26 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

The mini clients don't have separate tuners. They share ones from the main genie.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#27 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,449 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

The mini clients don't have separate tuners. They share ones from the main genie.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

This has been mentioned many times on this particular thread.  Perhaps I should say it once more to make it clear..... naaah

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#28 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,030 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

Clients are tuner-less. That's why if the Genie bites the dust, clients become useless block until you get a another Genie.

Edited by Drucifer, 17 August 2013 - 01:01 PM.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#29 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 380 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

Clients are tuner-less. That's why if the Genie bites the dust, clients become useless block until you get a another Genie.

That is my main worry with having a client in my system.... with that being said, i have never (knock on wood) had a receiver bite the dust since i first had D in 1998 till earlier this week when a lightning storm took out my HR44...

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#30 OFFLINE   tgard

tgard

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

Again, thanks for all the info. It sounds like I have room for three more genie clients, is that correct?

My hope is that I can eradicate cable from my house altogether. I only kept it for the times my satellite went rogue during storms and because it used to be easier to split the signal and show different sports on different sets in my basement during parties.

#31 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,011 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

Having more than 3 Genie clients doesn't do much, because you can only use three at a time maximum (and each client watching live TV takes away a tuner from the Genie).  So having a mix of Genie, HD-DVR, HD-Receiver, and Genie client can get you the maximum number of viewing locations while still keeping total tuner count at or under 16 and not having more than 3 clients total.

#32 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

Again, thanks for all the info. It sounds like I have room for three more genie clients, is that correct?

No.  You have room for 3 non-dvr receivers (1 tuner each).  You can add more clients if you want.  But, ast Carl said, only 3 of them can be used at a time.  So, you're better off adding additional HD receivers (which can still access the Genie's recordings).

#33 OFFLINE   tgard

tgard

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

Update: Directv tech arrived today without SWM16. He also brought an HR34. I rescheduled for tomorrow and requested an HR44.

It sounds like I should get HD receivers in the future if I want to expand in other rooms. Is it an easy add on?

#34 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

Yes, adding is not difficult, especially if it's already wired....

#35 OFFLINE   tgard

tgard

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

Yes, adding is not difficult, especially if it's already wired....

The cables from the two TV's don't quite reach the SWM location. The TV's are currently fed by cable TV. Hopefully it will work if I extend the cable by joining it together with another.

#36 OFFLINE   tgard

tgard

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

Update #2- Directv didn't come today. Installer forgot he had the day off. I had to call and reschedule for Wednesday.

#37 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

Update #2- Directv didn't come today. Installer forgot he had the day off. I had to call and reschedule for Wednesday.

Does your local installation company have any installers who aren't idiots?  If so, you might want to contact them and request that they send one of those guys to your house instead of the guy that you've been dealing with.  I wouldn't trust that guy to cut my grass much less install my satellite equipment.

#38 OFFLINE   tgard

tgard

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:43 AM

Does your local installation company have any installers who aren't idiots?  If so, you might want to contact them and request that they send one of those guys to your house instead of the guy that you've been dealing with.  I wouldn't trust that guy to cut my grass much less install my satellite equipment.

Update #3-I got a call from a different installer yesterday. He said that they have not seen any HR 44's and if I wanted that model I might have to wait for a few months. He also suggested that I could buy one online and have him install it. Of course he also mentioned that if I wanted the HR34 he would install the SWM and receiver but that I would lose my upgrade benefit.

I haven't chosen either option for the moment and have enrolled in an anger management seminar.

#39 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

Tell us how that works for you!  :) 

It is a Hobson's choice: Very good now, or a tad better later. One scoop of ice cream now, or two later....

#40 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,449 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

He said that they have not seen any HR 44's and if I wanted that model I might have to wait for a few months.

this sounds EXACTLY the same what I told one of the users here that is still expecting an HR44.... its been at least a month if not more  and still waiting.....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: genie, hard wired, wireless, upgrade, sat-60, hr21, hr22, r15

Protected By... spam firewall...And...