Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

WSJ: Sony looking to launch online cable competitor, in talks with Viacom, Disney

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,490 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:47 AM

WSJ: Sony looking to launch online cable competitor, in talks with Viacom, Disney

Sony's reportedly made some headway on a solution that may well convince a number of subscribers to cut their cable cords once and for all. According to The Wall Street Journal's usual gang of anonymous sources, the electronics giant is in talks with several high profile media organizations to help populate an internet-based service that will stream channels and offer up on-demand content. 

The offering, which Sony is apparently looking to launch by the end of the year, would be the realization of some long time aspirations. Viacom is apparently at top of the list of potential partners, as the home of channels like MTV, Comedy Central and Nickelodeon. That deal is said to be in the preliminary agreement stage, news that comes a few weeks after Viacom inked a deal with Twitter. According to the WSJ, Sony's also been holding meetings with a number of other content providers like Disney, Time Warner and CBS. All parties involved have, naturally, refused to comment.

video-tab-600.jpg
Engadget

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:13 AM

If you cut the cable cord how will you get internet to watch the SONY package?

#3 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,490 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:38 AM

^^^

'Cord Cutting' refers to traditional pay TV only.

Example: I use charter Cable for internet only, and DirecTV for my 'pay' TV.  If I were to 'cut' DirecTV I would be considered a 'cord cutter'.

Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

#4 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:22 AM

Unless you use DSL service Internet, But once you cancel TV service Satellite,Cable etc, although OTA antenna doesn't count since its free, then you are a cord cutter. But to get back on topic, there are several ways for cord cutting, so I'm not sure what Sony is trying to accomplish that is already been done.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#5 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,490 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

Sony may be getting ready to try and compete with the Intel service that is on the way.  My understanding is that these services will offer more than a Netflix type of service.  They will have more of what pay TV services offer now in terms of locals, news and sports.

If that is the case, then the Netflix's of the world will be more like the HBO's of the world.

#6 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:53 PM

I have internet from Cox, they recently alerted me that I was over my data uses for the month.  There is no penalty now, but their plan is clear, if people are getting their television from the internet, Cox will be charging overages on those accounts and force them into a much, much higher priced tier. 

It's only tv!

#7 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,534 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

The only way this works is if you do NOT have to have cable or satellite like some of the other similar offerings require.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

spam firewall