Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Moving to new house, deciding between Dish & DirecTV: Best Deals and Best ways to sign up?

dish directv satellite sign up moving television HD hopper genie DVR

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

So with two Hoppers you can record on one and you can see what you record and watch them from either box? If so that may for sure be what I do.

Can you be in the living room and go to a channel or this or that and set things up to record on the one in the bedroom withing needing to actually go in there?

You can see what is recorded on either Hopper, but only on one at a time.  In the DVR screen you can select your Hopper, the other one, or an external hard drive.  But nothing unified.

Setting a recording on the Hopper in another room cannot be done from the Hopper in the room you are in.  But you can go online at Dish Anywhere and set a recording on either one, or you can do the same thing with the iOS (iPad/iPhone) device and Android devices that support Dish Anywhere app.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   RockySC

RockySC

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationAnderson, SC

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

Ok, nice. Looks like Dish Anywhere eliminates that tiny "problem" for the most part.

Six tuners is very, very inviting.

Or 12 if you want to expand upon Dish's deceptive marketing, heh.

#23 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

Or get 2 Hoppers and 2 OTA modules and have 14!!  :)

One thing that doesn't get mentioned is that with PTAT turned on, anytime not just primetime, you can record all 4 broadcast HD channels and only use one tuner.  You do have to set the timer for each, but it only uses one tuner!  Not earth shattering as I think there is very little on outside of primetime on those stations that is worth recording, but it is there...

Lloyd

#24 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,985 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:14 AM

Or get a genie and a second DVR for seven tuners from DIRECTV. You can keep adding and adding if you like. :)

As we have said they both have their pluses and minuses.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#25 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:37 AM

Or get a genie and a second DVR for seven tuners from DIRECTV. You can keep adding and adding if you like. :)

As we have said they both have their pluses and minuses.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Absolutely!  There is no perfect system.

That is why I tell people to look at the channels available, the HD available and the total cost.  That's what should be the selection criteria imo

The hardware from both is excellent, especially compared to the stuff offered by the cable guys.  But the hardware from both is different approaches to the same solution with differences in how they work.  In general the hardware all works as it should and these days is not the biggest concern for me when I do comparison shopping.

Lloyd

#26 OFFLINE   RockySC

RockySC

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationAnderson, SC

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

Just to update, I went with Dish as I was leaning before. We close on the 2nd and they will be there on moving day to install it on the 7th. I went with the Dish top 250 pack to start with and I decided on the monthly discounts instead of the iPad offer, but we can change our mind up until installation day they said. I also went with one Hopper and the Joey to start with and if I decide I do in fact need more I'll add another Hopper at a later time, which they said I could do for the same costs.

Do you guys have a tablet that you can recommend to use with Dish Anywhere features of the Hopper if I decide to not get the iPad?

Edited by RockySC, 27 August 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#27 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

Congrats on your selection, I think you'll really like it.

As to adding later, well that somewhat depends on when 'later' occurs.  In the first year, there would be a cost upfront to add a Joey or Hopper.  I was quoted $49 installed for a Joey.  Monthly costs of course are a fixed fee per unit after the 1st one.

Lloyd

#28 OFFLINE   ajbolit

ajbolit

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:15 PM

Just cancelled my 2 years DirecTV contract. They might call me back and make me an offer I can't refused, but given the price is equal, is Dish currently The Satelite provider of choice? Hopper is better than Direc's H34? Picture quality is probably very similar between the 2? I currently have H34 with Whole House DVR on DirecTV - that's pretty much Hopper and Whole House DVR alternative to Dish? I know I can spend all that time looking for answers on the forum, but can someone just confirm my thoughts? Also, since my contract does not expire till the 29th - should I wait till the Chrismas time to sign up? Would that be the best time to get a deal?  

#29 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:11 AM

I don't know if they'll call with a great offer, but if you get what I've been getting offered since I cancelled about a year ago, it will be good.  I started getting 'come back' offers before the boxes showed up to send the D* gear back!   :)

If you are looking at Dish, the Hopper is what you would want.  I would go for the Hopper w/Sling for at least one of them, and consider getting 2 depending on your viewing and recording needs.  If you tend to watch a lot of live stuff, then 2 Hoppers definitely make more sense as that gives you 6 tuners to use at all times.  You haven't mentioned how many TVs you need to feed so you need to consider that carefully if you have more than one.

Otherwise it is important to know what you prefer in HD, is it available with Dish?  Are you a heavy sports fan?  If so, take a hard look at what E* has to offer in HD for that as it is much different from D* in that respect.

And of course, the total out of pocket upfront which is controlled by what gear you might want, and the total monthly outlay.

Otherwise it is 2 sides of the same coin imo.

Lloyd

#30 OFFLINE   ajbolit

ajbolit

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:21 PM

We have 2 TV's and 1 projector to feed. Most of the time we just using them for kids entertainment and documentaries - prefer to watch Blurays instead of sports, so programming wise it would be a wash. At the end of the day its about trying to lower the bill - we pay $80 a month with nothing really exciting to watch. Might give Netflix another try before going back - its just that picture of streaming services as well as content is still not there((

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dish, directv, satellite, sign up, moving, television, HD, hopper, genie, DVR

spam firewall