Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Questions On NAS

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:29 AM

Still kicking around some ideas for an NAS box.  I've seen a variety of combinations available, but can't make up my mind.  I have a 2TB external drive on one PC via USB, but if I go the Media library route, I'm not sure that's going to work out.

If I go with a multi-bay NAS box:

- Do the drives have to be the same capacity (ie. all 2TB) ?  Or can they be mixed?

- Can I use the 2TB drive from the existing External with the video files intact?

I'm looking at an Open Box deal on a Buffalo 2 bay box with 2 500Gb drives that might be OK if I could swap out the drives with the 2TB and a 1TB I already have

The main thing I'm after is to be able to access files from any device on the LAN which doesn't always work out when using an EHD attached to one device.

Edited by SayWhat?, 17 August 2013 - 08:50 AM.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,676 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:55 AM

Most NAS enclosures will let you mix and match drive sizes.  You only need to use matched sizes if the NAS uses RAID, other than JBOD.

As far as using an existing drive in tact you'd have to refer to the product information for the NAS enclosure.  Most want to format the drive to set it up their way.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,166 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

Just don't let the box combine the drives into one space.  If one drive dies you lose all data.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,676 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

Just don't let the box combine the drives into one space.  If one drive dies you lose all data.

The 2 bay Buffalo is only either RAID0, combining them into once space, or RAID1, drives must be identical in size.

I haven't seen a NAS in a long time that doesn't want to use all the drives to make one big space.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,166 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

The 2 bay Buffalo is only either RAID0, combining them into once space, or RAID1, drives must be identical in size.

I haven't seen a NAS in a long time that doesn't want to use all the drives to make one big space.

I have 3 or 4 that allow individual volumes in addition to the RAID options.   I'm just saying that combining into one volume is a bigger risk and no real value over individual volumes.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#6 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

Personally, I went with Windows 8 and a Storage Spaces solution.  I have 4 3TB external drives, 4 internal 3TB drives and 1 4TB external drive all hooked into one array with redundancy.  Very simple to manage and I only have one technical complaint (the system doesn't reallocate and load balance when you add a new drive).  Since I'm running a real PC, the box can do a LOT of things in addition to being the host for my huge network drive.

#7 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:08 PM

If price is not a huge factor I would recommend looking at a NAS from Synology. They make a wide variety of models for personal/home, small business, and even enterprise grade uses. They are fast, versatile, and overall work very very well.

http://www.synology....dex.php?lang=us

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,676 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

For my NAS I also went the "using a PC" route.  My PC of choice is an HP xw8600 Workstation that I've put an Adaptec RAID card in and have one eSATA RAID enclosure attached as well.  I've got a RAID1 array (2 1TB drives) for the OS, another RAID1 array (2 1TB drives) for /home, a 6TB RAID5 array (4 2TB drives) and a 9TB RAID5 array (4 3TB drives) for a total of 17TBs of storage available.  I'll be adding more storage soon too.

For the OS I'm using OpenMediaVault which is Linux based and very flexible. 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall