Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Strange HBO OD problem - repeatedly DL's the same episode

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tom M

Tom M

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

I'm trying to catch up on Boardwalk Empire and am trying to record season 2 so I can watch it. After having succesfully recording and watching season 1 I've run into a situation that is really odd. I can add the shows to the list and the 1st episode of season 2 begins recording and all the other episodes show pending. However once the 1st episode completes the HR20 does not go on to the next episode. Instead, it deletes the just recoded show (based on what's in the history) and begins downloading it again. This will repeat overnight if I let it as the history log shows repeated deletes.

I have restarted the receiver and rebooted my router, all with no impact on the behavour. I am down to about 20% free space on the 2GB drive but that should still be plenty of room.

I haven't changed any settings on the HR since I DL'd the 1st season so I'm at a loss as to what's going on. I guess I can watch it directly on my Tablet using HBO GO but I'd prefer to have the option to watch them on my TV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,121 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

If it is bad guide data (and I don't know that it is), flushing the guide cache will help.  Do 2 reboots within 30 minutes of each other.  Generally, I do the 2nd one as soon as the TV returns to live programming from the first reboot.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   Tom M

Tom M

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

I'll give that a try. I was watching what it had cached for playback and it deleted it out from under me... darn annoying. I finally watched it via an HDMI connection from my phone. It was a bit less than ideal but I'll move the the 2nd episode and see if it's got the same problem before I do the guide cache flush flush.

#4 OFFLINE   Tom M

Tom M

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:16 PM

I flushed the cache and the recording now seems to work. However it created another problem in that I now get the "1501 (hbo) is currently not available" nessage even though all the other OD channels are available. This is after about 20 hours. I reboooted again and the problem still persists. I can access programs on 1501 if I get there from a search so all is not lost but I can't get there from the guide to browse the entire channel.

#5 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,121 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

If that is HBO VOD, it is being reported that is showing unavailable. I don't thinknit is an effect from your guide flush.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using DBSTalk mobile app

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,557 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:32 PM

Yup, HBO VOD has not been available since early this morning.  There is a thread about it here some where

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   Tom M

Tom M

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:24 PM

Thanks. At least I got my infinte repeated recordings fixed so I guess I'll just keep checking it from time to time.

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,230 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

Thanks. At least I got my infinte repeated recordings fixed so I guess I'll just keep checking it from time to time.

I'm not thrilled with our VOD service.  I like the idea that all the HBO and other movie channels have most of their scripted shows on VOD, but the order they download in leaves something to be desired.  If they'd just label them "Episode 1", etc., and have that show up after downloading it would make it a lot easier to find the correct viewing order.  

I was also surprised to see that the networks' shows are mostly in SD.  

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   Tom M

Tom M

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

Well, the infinite recording is back as the same episode has just been done 5 times based on the recording history. I've deleted all the pending downloads except the one in progress so I'll see if it continues for the 6th time. If it does I'll delete it and set it to record based on a search instead of the VOD to see if it works the same as the last one.

Frustrating to say the least.

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,230 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:15 AM

Well, the infinite recording is back as the same episode has just been done 5 times based on the recording history. I've deleted all the pending downloads except the one in progress so I'll see if it continues for the 6th time. If it does I'll delete it and set it to record based on a search instead of the VOD to see if it works the same as the last one.

Frustrating to say the least.

I downloaded two seasons of HBO shows yesterday without a problem.

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   Tom M

Tom M

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

I downloaded two seasons of HBO shows yesterday without a problem.

Rich

It worked for me in the past as well so I really don't know or understand what's going on at the moment. I watched the one episode that I had and then tried to DL another but it deleted itself and restarted the DL after it completed the first time. I guess the next step is to try a different series and/or a different VOD channel. I can also try it on the HR21 I've got upstairs to see if that works OK or not.

I guess I could also try reauthorizing the unit but I'm not sure what that would buy me.

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,230 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

It worked for me in the past as well so I really don't know or understand what's going on at the moment. I watched the one episode that I had and then tried to DL another but it deleted itself and restarted the DL after it completed the first time. I guess the next step is to try a different series and/or a different VOD channel. I can also try it on the HR21 I've got upstairs to see if that works OK or not.

I guess I could also try reauthorizing the unit but I'm not sure what that would buy me.

I don't recall anyone else posting about your particular problem.  I never use the VOD channels, tho.  I just do a search and download from the search results.

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   Tom M

Tom M

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

After some more experimenting it seems to be limited to HBO VOD and it behaves the same on both my HR20 and HR21, It's not limited to a single series on HBO as it did the same on both Boardwalk Empire and Curb your Enthusiasm. It did work OK on a different VOD channel.

I also noted that both the receivers are now on 736 so maybe that's the problem.

Edited by Tom M, 22 August 2013 - 10:19 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   Tom M

Tom M

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:53 PM

I DL'd the latest CE release to see if the problem still presists and it does. I tried to record an episode of Boardwalk Empire and it recorded/deleted/recorded it 5 times before I removed it from the list. I'm at a total loss as to what's going on here. What's really weird is that it did record one episode successfully the other day, so it seems like it's a bit hit or miss - mostly miss.

spam firewall