Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New remote control

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

I went to my buddies house and he had some nice looking new remotes for his receivers.  he was told they came out like a week ago.  Anyone know what they are called? or if they do anything different?  Just was curious.  I have like 25 of the old ones,  but these were smaller and looked cooler. 

I am trying to find a way to hook up 3 tvs in same room and still be able to control them all separately even if they are same make.  if they are same brand the volume will change when controlling at least two of them.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

They are the new RC71 and came out with the HR44's a few months ago.  They no longer have the color buttons, except red, and are missing a stop button.  If you search RC71 you'll find plenty of posts on them.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

They are the new RC71 and came out with the HR44's a few months ago.  They no longer have the color buttons, except red, and are missing a stop button.  If you search RC71 you'll find plenty of posts on them.

thanks.  I just got an HR44 and didn't get a remote.  I had plenty though.

#4 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,113 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

Another difference is the HR44 receives only IR signals from the older remotes.  It will receive RF from the new remotes.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,280 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

I am trying to find a way to hook up 3 tvs in same room and still be able to control them all separately even if they are same make.  if they are same brand the volume will change when controlling at least two of them.

The old DirecTV remote has 4 modes.  Directv and TV modes are specifically for those devices.  That leaves you with AV1 and AV2.  you can program either a receiver or TV under those modes.  so if you have 3 receivers, you can control all 3 (independently of each other) plus a TV with a single remote

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

The old DirecTV remote has 4 modes.  Directv and TV modes are specifically for those devices.  That leaves you with AV1 and AV2.  you can program either a receiver or TV under those modes.  so if you have 3 receivers, you can control all 3 (independently of each other) plus a TV with a single remote

I was told I could not if the tvs are the same.  I could make one IR and one RF but the third one would still have issues with the volume being controlled on two tvs/ 

I am hanging 3 tvs on the wall and wanted them to all be the same tv.

Edited by bhigh8, 17 August 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

I was told I could not if the tvs are the same.  I could make one IR and one RF but the third one would still have issues with the volume being controlled on two tvs/ 

Unless the TV allows you to change remote codes you're out of luck.  If it does allow you then you're not going to be able to do it with a single DirecTV remote.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

Unless the TV allows you to change remote codes you're out of luck.  If it does allow you then you're not going to be able to do it with a single DirecTV remote.

I was told the RC71 can only be used with a Genie.  so could I use that with one TV and then use a different remote on IR and one on RF and not have a problem.  or will it still be an issue with volume.

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

TV will only work on IR

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

I was told the RC71 can only be used with a Genie.  so could I use that with one TV and then use a different remote on IR and one on RF and not have a problem.  or will it still be an issue with volume.

If all TVs are the same brand you are going to have issues regardless 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,075 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

I bought an RC71 to play with and to help my friend when she calls with a problem.

I have tried to program it for use with my Samsung and my Vizio. An HR24 is the receiver for each.

I found one code that will partially operate the Vizio. I can not make it operate the Samsung at all.

The remote does operate the HR24s with no problem at all.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#12 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

The RC71 in IR will work with any H2X or HR.  The RC71 in RF will only work with an HR44 or C41.  You won't be able to use any DirecTV remote to control your TV via RF.

As I pointed out before... Unless your TV's will allow you to change their remote code set you won't be able to have 3 of the same model in the same room and control them independently. 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#13 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:16 PM

The RC71 in IR will work with any H2X or HR.  The RC71 in RF will only work with an HR44 or C41.  You won't be able to use any DirecTV remote to control your TV via RF.

As I pointed out before... Unless your TV's will allow you to change their remote code set you won't be able to have 3 of the same model in the same room and control them independently. 

okay.  thanks for your help.  stinks I cant have same tv but oh well.  unless there is a way to do this with a non directv remote.

#14 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,888 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

okay.  thanks for your help.  stinks I cant have same tv but oh well.  unless there is a way to do this with a non directv remote.

But again the problem with what you want to do is on the TV's end, not the remote.

You need a TV model which allows you to set different remote codes for operating multiple TVs of that same model in the same locale, if a TV even exists with such a feature.

Short of that, about all that can be suggested is a home control system with separate IR blasters to each TV. such as the "Ocelot" HC system here;

http://www.smarthome...l-System/p.aspx.

Not that cheap, but I imagine certainly a whole lot cheaper than replacing two of the TVs with different models.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#15 OFFLINE   chroma601

chroma601

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSylva, NC

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

I'm wondering why there's no STOP button.  Is there a hidden workaround?

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,653 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

I'm wondering why there's no STOP button. Is there a hidden workaround?

for which particular function in which screen? People don't realize it did quite a bit in different screens.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#17 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,075 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

If you are wanting to stop and get out of a recording you can press Guide and just change to what you want and the recording stops.

You can also press the Exit button and the recording will stop.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#18 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

Did anyone see this? > http://www.fiercecab...trol/2013-09-06

They can design a remote control for kids but they can't give us stop or PIP buttons? :rolleyes:

#19 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

A lot of us are wondering the same thing.  Unfortunately there is no workaround.  Their idea is to use "back". 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall