Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv Over Fiber

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Rafael

Rafael

Mentor

• Registered
  • 61 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale, FL / Caracas Venezuela

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

Guys here's the way I would do it, I apologize if this was explained previously:

First you need to stack and power the SWM lnbf.

Here's a manufacturer that sells needed devices:

http://sonoradesign....tent/tutorials/

then you will obtain 4 feeds:

A.- 18 VDC / 0 KHz tone carring 99 W & 101 W Even.

B.- 13 VDC / 0 KHz tone carring 99 W & 101 W odd.

C.- 18 VDC / 22 KHz tone carring 103 W 110 W / 119 W Even.

D.- 13 VDC / 22 KHz tone carring 103 W & 119 W odd.

After that you can use 4 fibers to carry each. The device should work with wideband 250 MHz to 2050 MHz.

Here's one manufacturer:

http://www.dawnco.co.../FSS-95F12R.pdf

after you reach the end, you then combine back or split to other areas; after you serve each area with those 4 feeds you can go back to SWM technology.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jlmtech

jlmtech

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationJackson, NJ

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

This is the product you should look at.

http://www.foxcom.co...act_solutions=3

You can purchase in the US from Multicom, Inc. in Florida.

http://www.multicomi...contact_us.html

Ask for Scott Brietz. tell him Jim sent you.

#23 OFFLINE   Rafael

Rafael

Mentor

• Registered
  • 61 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale, FL / Caracas Venezuela

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:43 AM

The foxcom product is even better than the downco because it stacks the 4 bands in a single fiber that is easier for distribution.

#24 OFFLINE   josephsdrum

josephsdrum

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:35 AM

Hello Everyone,

It's certainly possible to distribute DirecTV over Fiber. See attached drawing here,

http://www.foxcom.co.../BsmarTV5-0.pdf

In order to split your incoming signal to a local SWM and then into our Fiber TX...as said earlier, polarity lock the signal prior to the splitters. If you have any questions...feel free to contact me.

Attached Files

#25 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,579 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:26 AM

I have done some fiber work with DIRECTV-- I have successfully used 4 fiber devices to transport the signal before it gets to the SWM. I have not tried using the legacy ports.

It seems safe to assume that the legacy ports demand control voltages to establish what's connected to each port so I would think that passing through to fiber wouldn't work without a locker of some sort. Using a tap on the satellite feed seems like a cleaner solution.

Were the fiber devices that you used to transmit the antenna signals using multiple wavelengths of light?

Single or multimode fiber?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#26 OFFLINE   DSOUND

DSOUND

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

Problem has been fixed.  The input to the fiber transmitters had 18v coming out of the input.  Some dc blockers and all was fixed.

#27 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,295 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

Glad you managed to get it fixed. But I'm curious, what do you have as input to the fiber transmitters that is providing 18v?

You should only have voltage flowing towards the dish, either coming from a multiswitch or polarity locker. In order to have your fiber transmitter input seeing 18v you must have voltage flowing away from the dish coming from whatever was feeding that transmitter. I would have to guess you're using dual passing splitters, and thus the voltage was coming up the non-fiber leg and down the fiber leg and causing problems. A single port passing or a diode steered splitter would have avoided the issue.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#28 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:29 AM

Glad you managed to get it fixed. But I'm curious, what do you have as input to the fiber transmitters that is providing 18v?

You should only have voltage flowing towards the dish, either coming from a multiswitch or polarity locker. In order to have your fiber transmitter input seeing 18v you must have voltage flowing away from the dish coming from whatever was feeding that transmitter. I would have to guess you're using dual passing splitters, and thus the voltage was coming up the non-fiber leg and down the fiber leg and causing problems. A single port passing or a diode steered splitter would have avoided the issue.

After further study since this thread was started last year;

It appears that, at least from all manufacturers of this equipment I've studied since,  the satellite dish (or "trunkside") inputs of a DBS fiber TX module is capable of generating 13v/18v or 13v/18v+22 KHz DC/tone control signals for an LNBF.

And I find that while these control voltages are switchable to select between one of the 4 standard types, there is no provision mentioned about the ability to turn the DC/tone signals off altogether.

Perhaps for some reason the TS needed to eliminate this voltage *from* one or more of the fiber input TX modules, and therefore needed DC blockers to do it.

Just a guess on this later point ... :)   

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#29 OFFLINE   captkillao

captkillao

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:21 AM

Has anyone ran Directv over fiber?  The plan is to have a dish with 4 x 2.3Ghz splitters connected to a local SWM 16.  The 2nd output of the splitters go to fiber TX/Rx.  From there, it goes to another SWM16 to the SWM splitters to receivers.  Thoughts?

It will be fine but do not use the splitters. Use a Polarity Locker, Amp, and coupler. That is the proper way to do it. I have used coax over fiber Tx/Rx to do the same over 2000 ft away. Worked out perfectly with no issues so far, about 2 years ago. Good Luck

Edited by captkillao, 17 April 2014 - 12:22 AM.

spam firewall