Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Just got a Genie, how can I still connect my computer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tnflyboy

tnflyboy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

Hi,

I thought I was being smart when I called in to change some programming and got a great offer to upgrade some older HDDVRs to a Genie and some clients.

However I think I may have caused myself some problems.

Here is what I am currently doing:

I have my broadband connected into the Directv network(coax) via a CCK.  Then at each of my HDDVR receivers I have a DECA that splits the satellite signal and the Ethernet out into the DVR. 

Pretty standard setup so far.

Well I use the second port on the HDDVR as an Ethernet switch and plug in a internet enabled Bluray player at most locations.

On one DVR location, I use the second Ethernet port and connect it to a switch and then have a couple of computers and printer connected.

Some say this is bad, but it works great for me and I don't have to run Cat5.(this is a detached garage with a bonus room/man cave/office)

So now I have the Genie....one Ethernet port....I want to place it in my office.

I understand it has a built in DECA.

My question is, can I make the Ethernet port on the Genie act like the second port on my HR22 and run it to a switch?  Basically the network traffic comes into the Genie through the coax and then splits to the Genie's Ethernet port???

Or is there a way to connect an external DECA and get the same connectivity?

I really don't want to run an Ethernet cable to my bonus room, even though I know this will give me the best connectivity.

Any ideas? 

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,545 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

You can run the ethernet out to a switch.  I do it on one of my receivers.

You can's use the Deca box on a Genie or HR24, or any that have internal Deca.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

.(this is a detached garage with a bonus room/man cave/office)

With all that equipment is best to run a dedicated Ethernet cable.  Done!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,270 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

I personally would go with your second suggestion and use a "green" label 2 x 1 splitter to a CCK such as here;

http://www.ebay.com/...=item338381b8a8

purchased off e-bay for cheap. and then run one output to the Genie and the other to the CCK ---->ethernet switch arrangement, and connect your various equipment to the switch. Though this is obviously an "unsupported" setup, with the ethernet data of the number of components on the switch running through the DECA cloud, experience has shown there is more than enough bandwidth available.

Using the built in CCK of the Genie is certainly convenient for connecting the DECA cloud to a switch or router, But I personally don't like using it to run non-MRV related IP devices through it since the connectivity depends on the Genie always being powered up and operating. When it needs to restart, upgrade firmware, refresh its activation, etc.the connectivity through it becomes lost or disrupted.     

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,256 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:29 PM

You really should stop using the second port Ethernet out in the old boxes and just hook up a second deca or a switch between the deca and the box. Either would be a far better way to do that. These boxes are not good for using the second port out. They may work sometimes but it's not supported and can cause issues. Running it all of switches is the easy workaround for that. This could be part of the issues your having.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#6 OFFLINE   tnflyboy

tnflyboy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

@Supramom. Can you elaborate on your set up more? Are you saying you use the Genie ethernet port to connect to other equipment?
Thanks

#7 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,545 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:04 PM

Mine is not on a Genie, but I don't see why it couldn't be.  I have a Deca box on an HR23 that has the ethernet cable running to an ethernet switch.  The switch is connected to a laptop and a desktop.

My Genie and my desktop share the router.  Why couldn't your Genie run to a switch the same as my HR23?

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   kpfleming

kpfleming

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

Yes, you can use the Ethenet port on the Genie (HR-34 or HR-44) as a switched connection to your DECA network; I have mine setup this way and have an Ethernet switch connected to the HR-34's wired port, with multiple devices plugged into that switch. Of course, your bandwidth across the network will be limited to what DECA supports, but I've had good results.

The HR-34 and HR-44 have the same DECA/Ethernet switch chip inside them that is in a CCK (which itself is pretty much the same as a DECA box), so they can be used the same way that those devices are used.

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,256 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:59 PM

Yes that's fine in a genie but don't use both ports on a HR21 etc.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#10 OFFLINE   tnflyboy

tnflyboy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:27 AM

Got it hooked up and works great. 

Just fyi...It is close to my router, so I connected the Genie to the router via the Ethernet port.

No DECA was needed on the coax going to the Genie.

I was going to originally put the Genie in my bonus room away from the router, but since it is an upgrade, I decided to remove my oldest DVR, an HR21, from the setup.  That happened to be right next to my network equipment.

So in Summary(if anyone else is trying to do this):

Internet traffic goes from router to Ethernet port of Genie.

Then onto the coax coming out of the Genie.

At other locations I have HR22s and HR23 with the dual Ethernet ports.

In bonus room, the second Ethernet port of the HR23 is connected to a switch and two PC's get internet access through that switch and DVR.

At the remainder of locations, I hook a internet enabled Bluray players to the second port of the HR22's and give the Bluray players internet access.

I don't have any bandwidth issues. 

At any one time, I may be streaming Netflix in a couple of locations, Hulu in another will watching a recorded show via Multiroom.  So lots of traffic and no problems.

This saved from having to fish Cat6(or Cat5) cable through out the house connecting all the video equipment.

And yes, I have wireless.  In fact I have three access points, but for video streaming I still believe the hardwired is the way to go.

Thanks to everyone that gave advise.

#11 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,239 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

Pulling ethernet out of an HR2x is not a recommended configuration. Put an ethernet switch on the output of the DECA and feed the DVR and other equipment off that switch. You are using a lot of CPU cycles in the DVR supporting the ethernet functions.

#12 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,545 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

Pulling ethernet out of an HR2x is not a recommended configuration. Put an ethernet switch on the output of the DECA and feed the DVR and other equipment off that switch. You are using a lot of CPU cycles in the DVR supporting the ethernet functions.

That's exactly how I do it on my HR23. Deca to switch. Works great.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using DBSTalk mobile app

My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...