Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Real Estate Listing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

(Warning:  It looks like this site lets you visit only once before requiring registration, so if you want enduring access to the entire article without subsequently registering, you should copy and store it when you access it, as I did)

logo.png

Brown's Compound for Sale

By Mark Davis

Valley News Staff Writer

Saturday, August 17, 2013
(Published in print: Saturday, August 17, 2013)

Plainfield — For sale: Spacious, well-fortified home sitting on 100 hilltop acres with commanding views of enemies approaching by land or air. This historic estate comes complete with a sniper tower to provide a tactical advantage over advancing government agents, solar panels enabling the occupants to cut ties with “society,” and enough storage space to amass an arsenal that would make some Third World dictators envious. Seller not liable for improvised explosive devices left on property. For more information, contact Uncle Sam.

That’s right, prospective homeowners, the federal government is finally ready to auction off Ed and Elaine Brown’s compound on Center of Town Road in Plainfield, four years after they received lengthy prison sentences for their armed standoff with government agents. Elaine Brown’s former dental office on Glen Road in West Lebanon, currently shrouded by weeds that have grown taller than a kindergartner, will also be made available to the highest bidder.

Federal Judge George Singal recently set a minimum bid of $250,000 for the Plainfield property and $507,500 for the Glen Road dental office, which is directly across the street from the Powerhouse Mall.

The auction, which has not been scheduled, will be held in the U.S. District Court building in Concord .

Along with being among the final notes in a bizarre chapter in Upper Valley history, the sale will be a financial windfall to Lebanon and Plainfield. Both communities are owed sizable sums in back taxes on the respective properties, which have been off the tax rolls since being seized by federal authorities.

Lebanon is owed more than $210,000, and Plainfield around $155,000, lawyers and officials said.

“The city is very pleased that we are finally moving forward, and we will receive what we are owed,” said Lebanon’s attorney, Shawn Tanguay. “That’s a prime retail area. We hope a new business will go in there and flourish.”

Plainfield Town Administrator Steve Halleran said he hoped a family would move into the Brown’s fortress and establish roots in the community...

“It’s a huge deal for us to get paid and to have that money we can count on,” Halleran said. “We have waited patiently. It’s a big deal for a little town.”

The Browns, longtime anti-government activists who refused to pay income taxes, fled their trial on tax evasion charges in January 2007 and holed up inside their fortified home. During the next nine months, the Browns built an arsenal of high-powered rifles, homemade bombs and 60,000 rounds of ammunition.

They also hosted a motley crew of like-minded supporters from across the country.

The couple pledged to violently resist any arrest attempt, but they were taken into custody without incident in October 2007 during a ruse by undercover agents .

A federal jury convicted them in 2009 of conspiracy to prevent government agents from discharging their duties, obstruction of justice, illegal possession of firearms and other charges, and sentenced them both to more than 30 years in prison....

Of course, there was one individual who did his best to protest the auction.

“My lord and savior the Christ Jesus advised me that I shall not comply to your requests because (of) my moral principles of light and caring as mandated by the United States Constitution for the United States of America and its bylaws and statutes,” Ed Brown, 71 wrote the court from his federal prison cell in Illinois. (Elaine Brown, 72, is being held in a West Virginia prison.)...

He has also sent the town a handwritten ‘IOU’ for his back taxes, which he said is redeemable at the U.S. Treasury....

Edited by AntAltMike, 18 August 2013 - 05:53 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,317 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

Very interesting...I'd like to know more about the history of the Browns and about the property.

At fist, I thought your post was about Camp David, the presidential retreat.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

The Browns and I have a few mutual acquaintences. Their C-band satellite dish was installed in the 1980s by a friend of mine, and when the Browns got busted in 2007, that installer mentioned in another satellite forum that he had been unable to get Ed Brown to subscribe to DISH Network, even though their offerings better met his need than did C-band, because he wouldn't give out his Social Security number.

Their entire fiasco is Googleable.  New Hampshire has a lot of "Libertarian" nut jobs living there and even getting elected to their state legislature, which is one of the largest unicameral legislatures in the country.  I think what happened with the Browns was that they got caught up in the local celebrity status they had attained as tax scofflaws, and there were so many people saying they were behind them that it might have blinded them to what they were getting themselves into.  The Browns had actually spurned the support of the "Free Staters" who tried to horn their way into the Brown's limelight because they didn't want their cause - the purported unconstitutionality of income tax - to be obscured by the Free Staters's hippie images and personae.

A few people who did what they could to help Brown avoid apprehension are paying dearly for having done so. A Danny Riley was convicted of conspiracy, aiding and abetting, and using guns and bombs in connection with the standoff and was sentenced to 36 years in federal prison.  I remember reading that the sentencing judge said something like, "When you were about to jump off the cliff, if you had looked around, you would have seen that no one was jumping with you".

Someone named Cirino Gonzalez, a self-proclaimed "Constitutional Ranger" from Alice, Texas, was portrayed as an erstwhile Billy Jack who was going to ride into town to stand up for Brown and protect him.  I think his nickname of "Reno" helped sustain his Billy Jack image, since it was the same nickname that Lorenzo Lamas used as The Renegade.  Reno Gonzalez is presently serving an eight year prison sentence, and if any of his adulating fans could have read anything like the rambling diatribes he subsequently sent to the court in his ineffective appeals, they would have seen that he was just an illiterate loser who would be hard pressed to pass a fourth grade equivalency test.

A decade ago, I sought to enlist the support of some of the noisy, self-proclaimed New Hampshire Libertarians in my own anti-establishment activities there, but I eventually concluded that they were all losers.  None of the dozen or so I spoke to or corresponded with would lift a finger for anyone and had no interest in any issues other than the ones on their own narrow agenda lists.  The old adage, "If we don't hang together, we will surely hang separately" would be a fitting epitaph for all of them.

Here's their Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia....nd_Elaine_Brown

Edited by AntAltMike, 18 August 2013 - 02:49 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...