Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I want 2nd TV use from a single HD DVR - can I?

multi room use new LNB triple

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   janland

janland

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • Locationsouthern calif mountains

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

Hi-

I recently changed from an old 18" single LNB. I understood that we were swapping out the dish only.. but when the tech came over, I ended up getting a new HD DVR and dish. 

I would like occassional TV in an adjoining (close) room. I don't want or need the 2nd set up all the time.  I would be willing to disable the  main room TV and use the 2nd one only when I want to if that is how this ends up. No other TV watchers around here.

My idea:  connect to the 2nd room by running a new length of proper high performance co-axal from the  #2 SAT portal on the new DVR to the 2nd tv room. Will that work or must I get into splitters,etc...??.. I am thinking to  just run the cable out the window (5" from current DVR)  on back deck about 16' into the 2nd TV room window and bam!

thots, ideas, etc wd be much appreciated...!  Jan.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,289 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

You will have to go at this quite a bit different than you were thinking.  The signal from the dish can ONLY be processed by a DirecTV receiver.  If you dont want a second receiver you can run the video/audio from the receiver to a second TV.  What type of TVs do you have? If both HD you could get an HDMI splitter or run one on HDMI and the other component.  If the second TV is SD you can downconvert the signal and even modulate it for RF.

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,336 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

Yup, a 25 ft HDMI cable from www.monoprice.com would do it. they have powered HDMI splitters as well

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

Why were you swapping out your dish?  Did you ask DirecTV to upgrade you to HD?  Or did you just want to get the SD channels that were on the 119 satellite?  I'm puzzled.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#5 OFFLINE   sda3

sda3

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

Yup, a 25 ft HDMI cable from www.monoprice.com would do it. they have powered HDMI splitters as well

What he said ^ That is by far the best solution to what you are trying to do.  Get a 25 foot HDMI and a powered HDMI splitter and have at it.

I have one of these and a long HDMI feeding a tv in the kitchen from my office below it.

Edited by sda3, 22 August 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

So, what did janland end up doing?

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#7 OFFLINE   janland

janland

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts
  • Locationsouthern calif mountains

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

Hi you wonderful guys-

apparently I orig  set up my profile without getting checking the  notification section-  I did not know  I received any replies until I went in right now! 

Thanks for all the help- I really appreciate it. To answer Thomas's question about why the switch to another dish- yes, I was not able to get a certain channel that was available in my package. When the installle came there was some glitch with the older DVR so he  got on da phone with Directv and because he had the extra DVR in his truck- I was abe to get the whole enchilada that day.

I cannot wait to get that HDMI Cable and powered HDMI splitter.!!!   Thanks again- I am proud of myself to be able to even think this through. I'm not as dumb as I look!

Jan   (going to 50th H.S. reunion 2014)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...