Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Supposedly DirecTV rooftop signal problem but no signal prob with existing Dish

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kiwipi

Kiwipi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

We currently have Dish and want to switch to DirecTV because Dish got rid of Korean channel KBS. There are two satellites located on the roof, 1 for local, 1 for international programming.

DirectTV tech came out to do installation today and we were told that they could not put their satellities on the roof because of trees obscuring Southern sky view. They want to put 2 poles in the middle of our backyard to mount the 2 satellities + would have to dig up the yard to bury 60 ft of wire. I would have to call a digger's hotline, have them come out to the house to mark the area. Then schedule another installation appt. with DTV to do the actual installation. Installation would not be free and they said $75/pole and $1/foot for cable. Called main DTV number and verified the fee cost.

I don't understand WHY they cannot put the DirecTV satellities on the roof. Satellite signal is not a prob with the current Dish satellities up on the roof. Trees are not interrferring with Dish signal up on the roof so why/how come it would be such a problem with DirecTV? Is this a legit issue?

We would rather not dig up our backyard. Thanks in advance for any replies/insight!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,938 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

Well, DirecTV satellites faces on a different direction then dish.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

DirecTV's satellites are not in the same place in the sky that Dish's are.  You dont say where you are, if you are set on the eastern arc for Dish I could easily see a situation where Dish would be OK and DirecTV not.   One thing does bother me is that I thought if a pole mount was required to receive service then it was no charge.  You only had to pay if you wanted a pole mount for aesthetic or other personal reasons.  I will let one of the installers confirm that part.

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,938 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

One thing does bother me is that I thought if a pole mount was required to receive service then it was no charge.  You only had to pay if you wanted a pole mount for aesthetic or other personal reasons.  I will let one of the installers confirm that part.

True for O&O and HSP,  but if they get a "sub-partner" they might have to pay since they buy the parts

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   Kiwipi

Kiwipi

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

Thanks, that make sense. Any chance of a different outcome if I call a local town tech and have them do a 2nd opinion of the site search?

I really, really don't want the backyard dug up and have random posts with sat sticking out in the yard.

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,936 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:25 PM

You can go to www.dishpointer.com and check your line of sight from the house, yard, and other locations. You want to check for aim to DirecTV satellites 95 (for Korean), 99, 101 and 103.  That should give you a very good idea of what your options are for dish location.

#7 OFFLINE   Kiwipi

Kiwipi

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:13 PM

Thanks so much for tip - greatly appreciate it! :) Checked it out and it's a great, helpful website.
Thanks to all for your replies.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...