Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Warning: Auto bill pay & paperless w/o authorization

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kiwipi

Kiwipi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

Just wanted to warn new DirectTV subscribers about being enrolled in autobill pay and paperless w/o your knowledge or consent by salesguy.

Be sure to check your online account and take a look at the overview section to see if you are enrolled for both/either. If you call to makes changes, verify online!

#2 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:04 AM

Additionally, Auto-Bill-Pay (ABP) with paperless (email) billing can save some customers $10 for 24 months, depending on 3 things:

1) credit

2) if your order has a HD-DVR or Genie (advanced receiver fee of $25/month)

3) done at the point of sale (POS) or by calling 800-531-5000 prior to installation (use account number, aka billing ID)

There is no discount for HD receivers only, or standard DVR (even though these are also advanced receivers, the fee is $10/month)

-=K=-

#3 OFFLINE   Kiwipi

Kiwipi

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

Thanks. Yep, some good discounts available for some if you sign up for autopay and paperless bill. But you have to give AUTHORIZATION to enroll in both options.

In my case I ordered standard and no DVR, Genie and do not appreciate being enrolled in autobill pay and paperless without my authorization nor being informed of the fact. Had I not created an online account and looked at overview, I would have been waiting for the bill to arrive and pay since that is what the salesguy told me to do. Plus, I had planned to enroll in autopay with a different credit card than the one I gave to pay for the initial taxes only. And I prefer paper bills.

In any case, be aware of your account and billing since the company's best interest is profits, not your consumer rights. I've read way too many horror stories about DirecTV's shady practices of withdrawing money from debit/checking accounts without permission or notice and don't plan to fall for it. Being an informed consumer is good for your wallet! And call out shady practices and share tips with fellow subscribers.

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,430 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

I have had Auto Bill Pay for about 15 years with no problems at all.

They send you an email of the exact bill so you can see all charges, credits, etc. Never needed to contest anything.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   Kiwipi

Kiwipi

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

Good to hear! Thanks.

I usually have no prob with autopay + paperless billing.

Majority of the complaints I read online were related to some sports package and getting charged for equipment after cancellation even though they were returned.

#6 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:54 AM

Majority of the complaints I read online were related to some sports package and getting charged for equipment after cancellation even though they were returned.

The sports related complaints were from people who didn't understand what 'auto-renewal' means, didn't pay attention to their bills for months or both.

My NHL CI auto-renewal has been listed at $0.00 for months and starting with my July bill, this comment was added:

IMPORTANT RENEWAL NOTICE: You are all set to enjoy another exciting year of NHL® CENTER ICE®. We are renewing you at the lowest price of 4 payments of $39.99/month. Look for the first charge to appear on an upcoming bill. If you wish to cancel to avoid payment, you must do so before the season starts; refunds not available after the season starts.

So this Important Renewal Notice will have been sent to me three times before the season starts.

Watch what happens here after the NFL season starts. There will be a number of posts from people who are getting billed for NFL ST and 'didn't know anything about it'.

#7 OFFLINE   nitrohero

nitrohero

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:42 PM

The sports related complaints were from people who didn't understand what 'auto-renewal' means, didn't pay attention to their bills for months or both.

My NHL CI auto-renewal has been listed at $0.00 for months and starting with my July bill, this comment was added:

So this Important Renewal Notice will have been sent to me three times before the season starts.

Watch what happens here after the NFL season starts. There will be a number of posts from people who are getting billed for NFL ST and 'didn't know anything about it'.

Very good point about auto-billing, which is prevalent with sports channels. Make sure to call beforehand or you're going to see a hefty bill.

#8 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 376 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:28 PM

I have never been signed up for auto bill pay ever as a directv customer... recently i canceled some premium channels... 2 days later i get a email that my credit card (its a prepaid one) has been decined... Went online and sure enough i was enrolled in auto bill pay!

• SeaBeagle likes this

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#9 OFFLINE   saxylady

saxylady

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:31 PM

Typically, you can cancel it in the first week without having any penalty and you get your first payment back. The charges usually start in July because it's "Early Renewal", but it takes a bit to get it taken off. Usually you call in to general customer service and then they connect you with the NFL saves team, who can give you offers on the price so that you keep it. Prices are going to increase for NFL this next year but i'm not sure on how much as it isn't in policy yet. Also, when you remove it make sure you ask them to set it to not auto renew for next season. 

#10 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,555 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:25 PM

The only thing added without my consent is regular Protection Plan,  but i think it has to do with the warranty if it ever have any issues for replacement,  Usually is added when upgrading or getting additional receivers, But it doesn't kick in for a couple of months,  So it can be removed right away without any penalties.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

spam firewall