Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR21-100 Lockups

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 295 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:45 AM

Been with Direct for many years and this is the first time I've seen this.

That said,  my HR21-100 is locking up every day or three.

When the box is brought out of standby the picture is frozen and displays the message something like "Reciever has not recieved guide data in over four hours". No keys on the remote or the box will work.

While in this state all lights are off on the DECA unit. Replaced the DECA unit just in case to no avail. 

After a power cycle the all functions perform perfectly for a time, then repeats. 

Yesterday A.M. I did a double reset to flush the guide and box is still ok for now.

Has anyone had this before?  Called Tech Support and they said I would have to call back while the box was locked up to be able to tell what was wrong.

J C

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,477 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:08 AM

Check your satellite signal strengths. Has not received guide data in X amount of hours is a sign of a low / bad signal.

Also, turn off the Power Save Feature

Edited by jimmie57, 18 August 2013 - 06:08 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 295 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

Check your satellite signal strengths. Has not received guide data in X amount of hours is a sign of a low / bad signal.

Also, turn off the Power Save Feature

Thanks for your response.

Power Saver is set to OFF.

I have three other DVR's connected to the same system and I think at least one other box would be giving trouble if a weak signal was the problem.

J C

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

#4 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,906 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for your response.

Power Saver is set to OFF.

I have three other DVR's connected to the same system and I think at least one other box would be giving trouble if a weak signal was the problem.

J C

A cable/connector problem at one box is not an uncommon thing to develop over time.

A good test is to take the problem DVR and swap locations with the good working DVR, assuming you have two.

If problem follows the box, its the box with the problem.

If the problem stays in the location, its the cable/connector/splitter.

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

Been with Direct for many years and this is the first time I've seen this.

That said,  my HR21-100 is locking up every day or three.

When the box is brought out of standby the picture is frozen and displays the message something like "Reciever has not recieved guide data in over four hours". No keys on the remote or the box will work.

While in this state all lights are off on the DECA unit. Replaced the DECA unit just in case to no avail. 

After a power cycle the all functions perform perfectly for a time, then repeats. 

Yesterday A.M. I did a double reset to flush the guide and box is still ok for now.

Has anyone had this before?  Called Tech Support and they said I would have to call back while the box was locked up to be able to tell what was wrong.

J C

Be a good time to get that swapped out for a 24.  Did Tech Support (can't stop laughing...OK, I'm calming down now) tell you how they'd figure out what was causing a locked up box to lock up?  How do they do that? (Laughing again...they'll tell you anything that pops into their minds...).

Rich

#6 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

Be a good time to get that swapped out for a 24.  Did Tech Support (can't stop laughing...OK, I'm calming down now) tell you how they'd figure out what was causing a locked up box to lock up?  How do they do that? (Laughing again...they'll tell you anything that pops into their minds...).

Rich

Here is their script:

1. Press red button.

2. Unplug for 15 seconds, then plug back in.

3. Repeat as necessary.

:cool:

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:18 PM

Be a good time to get that swapped out for a 24. Did Tech Support (can't stop laughing...OK, I'm calming down now) tell you how they'd figure out what was causing a locked up box to lock up? How do they do that? (Laughing again...they'll tell you anything that pops into their minds...).

Rich

Actually if he was talking to a good tech, they'd have him reset then send a diagnostic report off a keyword search so they could see all the logs of what was happening with it. They actually do this sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

Actually if he was talking to a good tech, they'd have him reset then send a diagnostic report off a keyword search so they could see all the logs of what was happening with it. They actually do this sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

That has never happened to me.  But I gave up on the notion of ever getting any tech support from D* a long time ago.  Quicker and safer to come here and ask the question.  

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

Here is their script:

1. Press red button.

2. Unplug for 15 seconds, then plug back in.

3. Repeat as necessary.

:cool:

I know.  Sad.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 295 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

Update!

Here's what happened.

On 8/13 my HR21-200 upgraded to 736 S/W.

On 8/14 my HR20-700 upgraded to 736 S/W.

Today 5:30 A.M. the blue light ring was spinning on my HR21-100. Took unit out of standby and got the display "Receiver Self Test" for several minutes. Then it switched to Checking Satellite etc., step 1 of 2, normal at this point. After sitting several minutes on step 1 of 2 all lights on the box went out, Video display went black & TV displayed "No Signal". Observed this condition for several minutes.

Left it in that state, touched nothing. Checked back in about 30 minutes and the box was up and running normally, and showed S/W update 2:35 A.M. to 736.

What I think happened.

The HR21-100 had tried to update to 736 and in the process something got scrambled. 

The lockups started about the time the other two boxed actually got the update.

Will have to see if it works properly with the update applied.

J C

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

#11 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,477 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for the update.

We will keep our fingers crossed that it runs good now.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#12 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

What I think happened.

The HR21-100 had tried to update to 736 and in the process something got scrambled. 

The lockups started about the time the other two boxed actually got the update.

Will have to see if it works properly with the update applied.

J C

Try doing a menu reset on the box and see if it reboots normally.  The new software releases have a much more aggresive HDD test before returning the unit to service.  If your HDD is marginal it will take a very long time (if at all) to reboot and go back online.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

Protected By... spam firewall...And...