Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New EPL channels

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

So, yesterday was day one of NBC having ownership of the English Premiere League soccer. I was pretty impressed.....not so with DirecTV though.

Two games were transmitted on NBCSN CH 220, and one was on the main NBC affiliate. The NBC presenters kept referring to other 'live' games being available on 'NBC Extra Time', and to check with your satellite or cable provider. So I looked for channels called 'NBC Extra Time' or something similar....I couldn't find any. So I called DirecTV and asked them where I would find the NBC Extra Time channels....the CSR told me that she had never heard of those channels.

So I figured that D* just wasn't carrying those 'NBC Extra Time' channels. Then about 20 minutes later, a friend e-mails me and tells me that the channels are called EPL, and that they are on 491 through 495. Sure enough, I checked and there they were. Should I have found them during my search? Yes.....but shouldn't a DirecTV CSR know that 5 new channels have just been added to their line up?

It seems to me that for all its good points, D* is typically lousy at communicating with its customers. I called D* back and suggested that if there's a shared file system between the CSRs, that they add this info to it. I'm sure that there are still viewers out there who are unaware of these channels. :slowgrin:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

Us, Mas Ultra subs do not get NBCSN CH220 so that leaves many without soccer viewership.

Lucky for me,I dont follow soccer so much,as I'am a pure NFL,MLB Junkie but wish others could enjoy the nbcsn epl games telecast's.

Mas Ultra Package + NFL ST MAX (Go Bills) MLB Xtra innings (Go Yankees)
1  Genie HR 44 - 700
3   Mini Genie C41 - 100
1 AM21 OTA Tuner

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,241 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:01 PM

Yup, same (almost) happen to me this morning.  I went to check BeIN on 426 which has had a horrible SD picture and this morning (do not know when it actually happened) it on on beautiful glorious HD!!!!!  DirecTV did not said a word!  but I am glad that this channel is now on HD

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

beINñHD (ch 426) went live with the most recent HD additions (QVC, Galavision, and Playboy). ESPN Deportes HD is coming in September. You'll never hear these things announced from Directv in like a press release, but there is a channel changes portion of their website that announces this stuff. You'll always hear it on forums such as these first!

http://news.directv..../?lpos=Header:3

Also, the EPL channels were never really announced, but the press release hinted that they would be there somewhere. It was not really ever announced what channels they were. Your best place for this type of info is on this (or the "other") site over anyone at a Directv call center (except the few of them who post online and actually know their job...)

Edited by ejbvt, 18 August 2013 - 03:26 PM.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#5 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

beINñHD (ch 426) went live with the most recent HD additions (QVC, Galavision, and Playboy). ESPN Deportes HD is coming in September. You'll never hear these things announced from Directv in like a press release, but there is a channel changes portion of their website that announces this stuff. You'll always hear it on forums such as these first!

http://news.directv..../?lpos=Header:3

Also, the EPL channels were never really announced, but the press release hinted that they would be there somewhere. It was not really ever announced what channels they were. Your best place for this type of info is on this (or the "other") site over anyone at a Directv call center (except the few of them who post online and actually know their job...)

I agree with you completely, but considering that the percentage of DirecTV viewers who are members of forums like this is likely to be less than one percent of the estimated 21 million viewers, I would have thought that a different approach by D* is needed. :grin:

#6 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

Absolutely! Another method is to select the "all channels" mode and scan through every now and then for new HD, new channels, and things like EPL. But, few will do that too. They like to use the banners for things, why not put a banner on 220 for a week or so - "Want more EPL? Tune to EPL overflow channels 491-495" or something. Use the banners for good, not "Honey Boo Boo" and Cinema ads.

Edited by ejbvt, 18 August 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

Yup, same (almost) happen to me this morning.  I went to check BeIN on 426 which has had a horrible SD picture and this morning (do not know when it actually happened) it on on beautiful glorious HD!!!!!  DirecTV did not said a word!  but I am glad that this channel is now on HD

I'm sure you know, but don't forget to redo any planned recordings because they will still be tagged to the SD channel.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,241 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

t too. They like to use the banners for things, why not put a banner on 220 for a week or so - "Want more EPL? Tune to EPL overflow channels 491-495" or something. Use the banners for good, not "Honey Boo Boo" and Cinema ads.

The could also use the "Message" feature on the receivers to post stuff like this....

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

The could also use the "Message" feature on the receivers to post stuff like this....

GREAT point!

#10 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:18 PM

Directv added a schedule with channel positions prior: http://sports.direct...shPremierLeague

Edited by mws192, 18 August 2013 - 06:18 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

Just wondering, but is anyone else seeing a lot of pixilization and motion blur on the NBC feeds, esp. on close-ups?  Whether it is hockey, Sunday Night Football, or now the EPL, the pixilization and motion blur make the feeds almost unwatchable.  I know NBC uses 1080i feeds, and this must be the problem, because I don't see this issue on ESPN or Fox feeds.  And, I've noticed this issue on OTA feeds as well as satellite feeds of NBC sports broadcasts.

Edited by George_T, 19 August 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   richard1428

richard1428

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

Just wondering, but is anyone else seeing a lot of pixilization and motion blur on the NBC feeds, esp. on close-ups?  Whether it is hockey, Sunday Night Football, or now the EPL, the pixilization and motion blur make the feeds almost unwatchable.  I know NBC uses 1080i feeds, and this must be the problem, because I don't see this issue on ESPN or Fox feeds.  And, I've noticed this issue on OTA feeds as well as satellite feeds of NBC sports broadcasts.

i have noticed what you're saying, but i haven't seen that problem on bein sport that uses 1080i

on the other hand espn 720p is way better than fox's 720p, for me fox soccer has a terrible picture, same with some rsn, some baseball games look awful

so i think it doesnt have to do with the resolution, but how they use they are converting the original signal

#13 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

NBC's football gets worse every game it seems. Football being American and soccer. It's a shame.

#14 OFFLINE   Robin112

Robin112

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

Does anyone know when espn deportes hd going live

Protected By... spam firewall...And...