Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can't Get Sonic Tap Channel 852

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

I cannot get this channel.  On the DTV site it says a special antenna or equipment may be required.  However, 853 and 855 say the same thing, but I get them.  The CSR was clueless so I thought I would resort to higher authority.

Oh, and DTVs program list doesn't list Sonic Tap channels so I can't tell if it is even supposed to be included.  I have Total Choice.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

852 is Choice xtra and above. I doubt it is included in your old package based on that.

I cannot get this channel.  On the DTV site it says a special antenna or equipment may be required.  However, 853 and 855 say the same thing, but I get them.  The CSR was clueless so I thought I would resort to higher authority.

Oh, and DTVs program list doesn't list Sonic Tap channels so I can't tell if it is even supposed to be included.  I have Total Choice.

Live each day to the fullest.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,338 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

Right, I think you would need the old Total Choice Plus to get it, or the new package.

#4 OFFLINE   flaktastic

flaktastic

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

What dish do you have? Some of the SonicTap's are on 119. I think this one is and I know 807, 865 and 883 are. I have a Slimline 5 and get all of them.

#5 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,888 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

What dish do you have? Some of the SonicTap's are on 119. I think this one is and I know 807, 865 and 883 are. I have a Slimline 5 and get all of them.

Channels 852, 853, and 855 are all on 119, and since the TS reports he can receive the latter two, it must be the package that's the problem.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#6 OFFLINE   flaktastic

flaktastic

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:41 PM

Didn't have the list and wasn't sure about those...

#7 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

852 is Choice xtra and above. I doubt it is included in your old package based on that.

So it is!  I finally figured out how to see the music listings.  I don't think it is worth $4.50 more a month just to get that channel.

I have Total Choice and according to the DTV web site I shouldn't be getting ANY music at all.  However, I seem to be getting all but a few channels.  Is it because I have been a subscriber for so long (early 2000s) or do I actually have something greater than Total Choice?  I have the HD Extra Pack, primarily for HDNet Movies, but it says nothing about music.

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,338 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

The website is pretty inaccurate for that info, particularly on the old packages. When I had TC+, it told me I didn't have access to Audience Network (or possibly 101, can't remember timeframe).

You'd get more than just the sonic tap, but if they aren't anything you'd watch, so sense in changing.

#9 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,232 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

If you go to DirecTV's web site, log in, and on the left hand side about half way down is a "View Channel Lineup" link. 

Shows you all your channels including Satellite Radio. Attached is snippet of part of my listings (Choice Extra Classic).

Choice Extra Classic.JPG

#10 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

The Sonic Tap channels on the 119 are 807-Rat Pack, 815-Holidays and Happenings, 824-Groove Lounge, 852-Jazz, 853-Metro Blend, 855-Great Standards, 861-PUMP!, 865-Piano, 870-Fiesta Tropical, 873-Regional Mexican, 876-Mariachi, 877-Carnaval Brasileiro, 880-Familiar Favorites, 881-Italian Bistro Blend, 882-Italian Contemporary, and 884-Tranquility.

If the channel is listed in your program guide, you have the proper dish to receive it BUT it may not be in your package.  I have Choice Xtra Classic and I've found that the "channels I get" guide listing is very accurate in respect to the Sonic Tap music channels as it only lists the channels in my package.

FINALLY, why don't you try channel 850?  The "Classic Jazz Vocal Blend" channel is very similar to 852 (Jazz) and might be in your package.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#11 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

FINALLY, why don't you try channel 850?  The "Classic Jazz Vocal Blend" channel is very similar to 852 (Jazz) and might be in your package.

I have been listening to 850.  I just discovered 852 and from the banner it looked like it might be even better than 850.

#12 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:10 PM

I have been listening to 850.  I just discovered 852 and from the banner it looked like it might be even better than 850.

It's all instrumental.  And most of it is 1950's era and older.  I actually prefer the variety of the "Classic Jazz Vocal Blend" channel which as you know isn't all vocals.  Since you can see 852 in your guide you have the right equipment but not the right programming package to get it.

Personally, I think ALL of the music channels should be included in ALL programming packages.  I guess DIrecTV thinks it's an incentive for subscribers to upgrade but I have yet to hear of anyone upgrading their programming package to get a certain music channel!!

PS:  Keep watching for one of DirecTV's "free previews" of the Choice Xtra or Ultimate package.  Then you can sample the Jazz channel and see if you like it.  During one of these previews, I sampled "Tranquility" and "Piano".  They are OK but, of course, not worth a package update and forfeiture of my grandfathered Choice Extra Classic package.

• scoop8 likes this

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#13 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

Amazing!  Per my last message DirecTV is currently running a "free Xtra" promotion.  Try listening to 852 now and it should come in as long as the preview continues!!!

spam firewall