Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Poor Picture Quality - NFL on Locals

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bvondran

Bvondran

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationYoungstown, OH

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Recently, I have noticed terrible HD picture quality when turning on an NFL game on my HD locals (Fox and CBS). I also noticed the issue on the NASCAR Watkins Glen race.

The picture looks very blocky/blurry, especially with motion. For instance, I can't read players numbers when action is ongoing on the field. The action unnatural and jerky.

I've seen this on both of tv's that are connected to newer (within the last year) DVRs. Have not tried on my tv connected only to an hd reciever. The tv's are Panasonic Plasma's, two of which are less than a year old, and the other is approx. 4 years old. I've never noticed this issue before, and it really makes watching football painful. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,814 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

The live sports seem to have the most trouble transmitting a good picture. I notice it also, heck even sometimes on Golf and that is slow moving.

If you don't have it set this way, try this in your settings:

Menu, Settings, Display, Resolutions, check 720p and 1080i only.

Menu, Settings, Display, Video, Naitive to ON.

Lots of the sports are filmed in 720p, especially ESPN and ABC.

Edited by jimmie57, 19 August 2013 - 08:13 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Recently, I have noticed terrible HD picture quality when turning on an NFL game on my HD locals (Fox and CBS). I also noticed the issue on the NASCAR Watkins Glen race.

The picture looks very blocky/blurry, especially with motion. For instance, I can't read players numbers when action is ongoing on the field. The action unnatural and jerky.

I've seen this on both of tv's that are connected to newer (within the last year) DVRs. Have not tried on my tv connected only to an hd reciever. The tv's are Panasonic Plasma's, two of which are less than a year old, and the other is approx. 4 years old. I've never noticed this issue before, and it really makes watching football painful. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Fox broadcasts in 720p.  That's probably why you notice it so much on your Panny plasmas.  I do too.  But I never have any problems with sports broadcasting other than resolution.  Switching from a 1080i to a 720p picture on the plasmas is very noticeable.  I can't think of any reason why you'd have a problem with CBS.  I have seen some 720 broadcasts on CBS.  Kinda surprised me, but it was during the day and I just happened to notice it.

Rich

#4 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

The live sports seem to have the most trouble transmitting a good picture. I notice it also, heck even sometimes on Golf and that is slow moving.

If you don't have it set this way, try this in your settings:

Menu, Settings, Display, Resolutions, check 720p and 1080i only.

Menu, Settings, Display, Video, Naitive to ON.

Lots of the sports are filmed in 720p, especially ESPN and ABC.

Bit strange, all this ado about carriage fees from ESPN and they only broadcast in 720p, no?  

Rich

#5 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,814 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

Bit strange, all this ado about carriage fees from ESPN and they only broadcast in 720p, no?  

Rich

They chose that because it is 60 fps and the 1080i is 30 fps. The 720p is supposed to get less blurriness in fast motion. I don't know if it is a fact or not.

PS: Fox Sports 1 and 2 are also in 720p.

Edited by jimmie57, 19 August 2013 - 09:48 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

Most local channels, at least the ones where I live, use sub channels also.  So, that NFL game is bandwidth starved to begin with, then it gets compressed via DirecTV so by the time you see it, it's not in that great of shape.

Can you view your OTA channels with an Antenna?  if so, try and compare the Picture Quality.

#7 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 463 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

This is up to your locals. I can watch Panthers preseason on two channels WFMY Greensboro (CBS) and WTVD Durham (ABC). Despite WTVD running HD on 11-1 and 11-2, the PQ of the football on WTVD is FAR superior to that of WFMY. Locals are hit or miss, which is sad. If they had the DNS channels to compete (you know.. capitalism) with, I think things would change. But, until the FCC stops protecting locals in a certain areas, they have no need to improve. (Granted, DNS won't improve Panthers football, but you get the idea...)

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:21 AM

let's not forget that 720p has 60 frames per second and 1080i has 30 frames per second but has 60 fields/s.  So at the end both could be considered havnig 60 frames but with the interlaced and progressive making the difference on how those frames/fields are processed.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

They chose that because it is 60 fps and the 1080i is 30 fps. The 720p is supposed to get less blurriness in fast motion. I don't know if it is a fact or not.

PS: Fox Sports 1 and 2 are also in 720p.

I don't see any blurry moments on my plasmas.  I did look at a lot of LCDs sets a couple of years ago and I saw lots of things I've never seen on my plasmas.

A friend of mine paid over 2 grand for a Sony LCD, small size, 60 Hertz, several years ago.  I watched a Yankees game on it and saw Jeter run from first to second in what looked like a frame a second.  

Rich 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...