Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Al Jazeera America (AJAM) Prepares To Launch

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,301 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

No date set

Ehab Al Shihabi, the interim CEO for the channel, said that according to their market research, 75% of people surveyed that had never seen any Al Jazeera programming had a negative perception of the brand.

There was a silver lining however: among people who saw Al Jazeera programming, 90% had a positive perception of it. “There was a perception, but it wasn’t a reality,” Al Shihabi said.

"We are not looking at converting the audience of CNN, or converting the audience of Fox, or the core audience of MSNBC, we are talking about taking audience now, based on our journalistic identity,” Al Shihabi said.

While AJAM will be Nielsen rated, executives there tacitly acknowledge that expectations are low to start.

“The most important, the leading measure, is the impact Al Jazeera America will have on our audience,” Al Shihabi said. “We will do the impact, and we will let the audience chase us. We will never change the vision or the mission.”

Full story: http://www.mediabist...-launch_b192001

NY Control Room

AJAMControl.jpg

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,840 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

It's been my main news source for a year or two. I live in a market where we can get Aljazerra, Russia Today, France 24, CCTV and NHK from broadcast television.

Unfortunately, they recently announced hiring four American news reporters who had been let go by major cable networks within the last year, and they already have David Frost, so I'm afraid they will become just another cable news network, but for now, they are the most objective on every matter except for the Arab-Israeli conflict. Man, did they ever bash France over the weekend for its post-colonial hosing of Africa.

I don't ever watch CCTV, but someone who does says they cut it straight down the middle on every news item except the Chinese/Japanese fishing rights stories.

One thing I can promise you is that if there is ever a thread about Russia Today getting launched nationally, no one will call it fair and balanced. But it is my favorite comedy channel, and my favorite "news babes" channel as well. They had the time of their lives ridiculing American television by boasting that Americans had to watch Russia Today to see the third party Presidential candidate debates that the American networks wouldn't cover. They recently hired Larry King to fill their 9:00 PM slot.

Edited by AntAltMike, 19 August 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

One thing I can promise you is that if there is ever a thread about Russia Today getting launched nationally, no one will call it fair and balanced.

http://www.dbstalk.c...rt-channel-280/

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

Im ticked that they killed the AJE livestream tho.  No more AJ on cell or streaming.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 546 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

Glad to see this launch. Been looking forward to it for months.

Sent from the other side of the Milky Way with my S4.

#6 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:01 AM

Can't see this succeeding. America doesn't want news, it wants opinionated editorializing presented as competitive sport on TV. Arguing, snarky sarcasm, smug sniping, outrage. America doesn't want facts presented without bias. America REQUIRES bias.

Now just like Fox News lost 100 million before it caught hold, AJE has mega-deep oil pockets and can hang in there long after it's tanked Neilson-wise, so I expect it to be around for a long time. Just not successfully, unless they start hiring newsbabes and turn the news into a nightly food fight. America needs straight news like a bicycle needs a fish.

#7 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:24 AM

The popularity of "The Newsroom" on HBO suggests that maybe there IS an audience for real news.

Maybe not among the younger demographic who have never experienced news before it became ratings-based "infotainment" - but there are those of us who remember.

#8 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,840 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:30 AM

Al Jazerra just got discontinued today on my local broadcast 30.5 MHz Network station from Falls Church, Maryland. That subchannel is now carrying Blue Ocean Network, a supposedly privately owned network from China, broadcast in English. I Googled and found that on July 10, 2013, there had been a press release announcing that MHz Network was including a 30 minute segment of Blue Ocean Network on its 30.1 MHz World "carousel", but I had never noticed it, as I never deliberately tune that sub channel

Edited by AntAltMike, 20 August 2013 - 04:46 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 903 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

No date set

It's today at 3PM instead of Current TV.

#10 OFFLINE   zeus

zeus

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

While having this channel in HD would be nice, at least at launch they went with the proper aspect ratio and the SD feed is not horrible (for an SD feed).

#11 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

So they're not going to broadcast in HD?? With their gazillions from some oil sheik? Nobody's going to watch straight news in SD.

"The Newsroom" is a typical Sorkin liberal wet dream fantasy that a major news net in America could actually be run under the aegis of true journalistic integrity. So of course people watch. Same reason they wanted to watch "The West Wing", another Sorkin lib fantasy about the way things SHOULD be, but never are. People like fantasies. But they don't like straight news, and especially Americans don't give a rat's behind for "World News". Americans could care less about what's going on outside their borders. Another strike against Al Jazeera in that they will be featuring a lot of global news coverage.

The Al Jazeera hires, Soledad O'Brien and Joie Chen are network discards who bring nothing to the table except flop sweat. Weak.

#12 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,011 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

They aired an hour long preview special before the first newscast at 4pm, they showed what went in to launching the channel including building their operation from the ground up to support HD at multiple studios in DC and NYC and other cities. I don't know the technical details yet so I don't know if they're uplinking an HD feed or if they're still using Current's SD only uplink. Being in HD is a two way street, even if they do provide an HD feed, it's up to the actual providers to carry it.

Al Jazerra just got discontinued today on my local broadcast 30.5 MHz Network station from Falls Church, Maryland. That subchannel is now carrying Blue Ocean Network, a supposedly privately owned network from China, broadcast in English. I Googled and found that on July 10, 2013, there had been a press release announcing that MHz Network was including a 30 minute segment of Blue Ocean Network on its 30.1 MHz World "carousel", but I had never noticed it, as I never deliberately tune that sub channel

Blue Ocean Network also replaced Al Jazeera English on WRNN 62.2 in NYC's northern suburbs.

Edited by KyL416, 20 August 2013 - 03:55 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

unless they start hiring newsbabes

They could bring in Rudi Bakhtiar and get a smart newbabe.

• Maruuk likes this
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,911 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

The popularity of "The Newsroom" on HBO suggests that maybe there IS an audience for real news.

Nah, that just shows that there is an audience for real drama. The Newsroom is not a news show.

AJ America will do OK. Probably better than Current TV.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

They could bring in Rudi Bakhtiar and get a smart newbabe.

Exactly. If I remember correctly, Al Jazeera in the Middle East has some drop-dead stunning and brilliant newsbabes. As do some of the Russian and other Euro news outlets. If they had any brains, they'd bring in a few of these staggeringly gorgeous but sharp Euro women with those luscious Bond-Girl Brit accents. THAT would kill in America.

Anybody know when/if they are going HD?

hot%20french%20news%20babe%20NFL%20lesbi

Like to see HER in HD...

Edited by Maruuk, 20 August 2013 - 05:26 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,911 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

Anybody know when/if they are going HD?

As soon as they get a carriage contract for HD:

"Current TV did not have wide HD distribution, so while AJAM will launch in HD, its HD carriage is expected to be limited. Future carriage deals will likely change that."
source
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#17 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:45 PM

Thanks, James! Didn't realize that some carriers had Current in HD. Certainly D* didn't.

This is one of 5 Al Jazeera anchors who resigned due to being hassled by execs who were pressuring them to look more staid and less "whore-like"...

joumana_namour.jpg

If you're still unemployed, please come to AJAM sweetie! You can slut it up all you want!

Apparently over there, as you'd imagine, they get constant harassment from idiot Muslim fundies about wearing makeup and showing their ears and opening their collars, and smiling. Muslim guys in the Middle East need to seriously get a life.

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,911 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

They have a life ... it is different than ours. And on that point let's stay away from religion, politics and name calling. These are professional news women ... not "sluts".

This is the line --- lets talk about the channel.

#19 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,706 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

The main reason I will likely not be watching this as much will be the lack of HD feed... same reason I didn't watch Current much... but I will take a look and see.  I was out most of the day so haven't been around to partake.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#20 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:53 PM

Hey, THEIR term, not mine! I like them just the way they are. I bet we'll see a lot of adjustments on the channel as time goes by. They don't seem like they have a clue right now about how they intend to address the American News market successfully, but over the months they will get hit with a pretty serious reality check, as in, viewership numbers. And they have the megabux to deliver whatever goods are necessary. I suspect they'll bring in some US news hotshot to try and save the day for them once they realize our market is far quirkier and more niche-driven than any they've been in before.

Edited by Maruuk, 20 August 2013 - 07:55 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...