Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Al Jazeera America (AJAM) Prepares To Launch

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

I watched some Current but I did hate the SD. Maybe because it made Anna Kasparian too blurry!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,799 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

The main reason I will likely not be watching this as much will be the lack of HD feed...

I didn't choose my "American" news channel (CNN, Fox News, MSNBC - alphabetically) based on whether or not the feed was in HD. Then again, when I picked a favorite there was no HD. :)

The quality is good ... and I can see AJA becoming as popular as Russia Today or CCTV News as an option. It is a well funded and deeply invested network. While other networks have cut reporters and relied more on user submitted and YouTube "news" it is good to see a channel invest in 800-900 jobs and 12 bureaus. Plus they have their international parents to fall back on for world news.

It will be their content that makes or breaks the network ... how they present the news ... not their screen resolution.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#23 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

Been watching it. I'm actually amazed at how amateurish it is. It's like a Public Access Channel news show that instead of covering the local Grange or a pie-eating contest is for some reason covering world affairs. Very weird. Even their audio has low-budge room tone and plosives in there. You kind of have to wonder where the money is going.

#24 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,794 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:21 PM

... I can see AJA becoming as popular as Russia Today or CCTV News as an option.

That tepid assessment doesn't even qualify as, "damned with faint praise."

I probably won't get to see  this new version of Al Jazerra until next week.  Can anyone here who had previously been watching Al Jazerra English tell me if this new version is comparable in production quality and content?  Both Russia Today and Al Jazerra English often used cell phone cameras and audio for field reports, and it didn't bother me at all, just like a lot of prime time network television viewers now tolerate shaky, hand held camera work, which still annoys me greatly.

Edited by AntAltMike, 20 August 2013 - 10:28 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

That stuff is fine, I'm talking about in-studio production values. It's like they're shooting it in this woman's basement. Jayne's World Jayne's World!

#26 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,799 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:47 PM

That is a really nice basement. :)

They have a several full video walls to sit and stand in front of. The bigger ones are probably 10 ft tall. They have modern glass top and accent lit furniture with enough space around it that they can do flying shots from across the room. There are other locations in the studios where the newscaster can stand by a rail in front of a large monitor.

The "basement" is on par with the high end TV station news studios.

Perhaps the SD quality is making it look worse than it is?
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#27 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:48 PM

...It's like they're shooting it in this woman's basement...

Doesn't it look better than your AM radio?

Edited by AntAltMike, 20 August 2013 - 10:49 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:26 PM

Not the show I was watching. No monitors anywhere. Looked like it was streaming from a prison.

#29 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,622 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:26 PM

Yeah... I know I'm becoming an HD prude!

To be fair... I was having the discussion with my father earlier today while talking about this channel... and I was telling him about how I kind of tune out cable and network news until there is something major happening.  Something like the Boston bombing, for example, will cause me to tune in to a news channel for a longer look... but I have been so disappointed with the day-to-day stuff that passes for news on most news channels, and I don't feel as badly about being an HD prude.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#30 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,799 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:40 PM

Not the show I was watching. No monitors anywhere. Looked like it was streaming from a prison.

Well they did do a feature story on a prison ... but the studio is good. Some of the via satellite guests sit in front of their fake city walls or other backgrounds but that is routine for cable news.

#31 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:48 AM

I was watching The Stream. It's very funky and claustrophobic since it's about online feedback and such. I guess some of the other shows use a real studio.

I do like that this news service will be coming from a point-of-view other than the typical American/Zionist/ADL talking points on matters pertaining to Palestinians. That will be soooo refreshing. Americans will be shocked to hear that there even IS another side to these issues.

#32 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:05 AM

The newscast on right now (3am ET) is from Al Jazeera English. Based on the upcoming schedule it looks like the Al Jazeera English content is just limited to this hour unless they surprise us at 6am and give us the Newshour, but I doubt that will last since they plan on launching their own morning show in the near future.

Edit: Newshour is airing at 6am. Looks like for the time being overnight and mornings will carry newscasts from Al Jazeera English.

Edited by KyL416, 21 August 2013 - 04:05 AM.

#33 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:24 AM

The newscast on right now (3am ET) is from Al Jazeera English. Based on the upcoming schedule it looks like the Al Jazeera English content is just limited to this hour unless they surprise us at 6am and give us the Newshour, but I doubt that will last since they plan on launching their own morning show in the near future.

In what countries and through what means is Al Jazerra English accessible? 

#34 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:14 AM

So they're not going to broadcast in HD?? With their gazillions from some oil sheik? Nobody's going to watch straight news in SD.

"The Newsroom" is a typical Sorkin liberal wet dream fantasy that a major news net in America could actually be run under the aegis of true journalistic integrity. So of course people watch. Same reason they wanted to watch "The West Wing", another Sorkin lib fantasy about the way things SHOULD be, but never are. People like fantasies. But they don't like straight news, and especially Americans don't give a rat's behind for "World News". Americans could care less about what's going on outside their borders. Another strike against Al Jazeera in that they will be featuring a lot of global news coverage.

The Al Jazeera hires, Soledad O'Brien and Joie Chen are network discards who bring nothing to the table except flop sweat. Weak.

Wow what a closed-minded post... Way to speak for everybody, all 300+ million people, thanks.

#35 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,289 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

Yeah... I know I'm becoming an HD prude!

To be fair... I was having the discussion with my father earlier today while talking about this channel... and I was telling him about how I kind of tune out cable and network news until there is something major happening.  Something like the Boston bombing, for example, will cause me to tune in to a news channel for a longer look... but I have been so disappointed with the day-to-day stuff that passes for news on most news channels, and I don't feel as badly about being an HD prude.

I think a correction and some clarification is needed here:

-- HD prude: a person (of either sex) who will not walk or sit naked in front of an HD display.

-- HD snob: a person (of either sex) who refuses to watch SD content, but will only watch programming of 720p resolution or higher.

Going forward, kindly use the correct term to accurately describe your personal viewing prejudices.

Thank you.

(Full disclosure: yours truly is definitely a confirmed HD snob.)

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#36 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

I think a correction and some clarification is needed here:

-- HD prude: a person (of either sex) who will not walk or sit naked in front of an HD display.

-- HD snob: a person (of either sex) who refuses to watch SD content, but will only watch programming of 720p resolution or higher.

Going forward, kindly use the correct term to accurately describe your personal viewing prejudices.

Thank you.

(Full disclosure: yours truly is definitely a confirmed HD snob.)

I'm a "-- HD snob: a person (of either sex) who refuses to watch SD content, but will only watch programming of 720p resolution or higher." And I will watch it naked at times  :righton: 

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#37 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,622 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

Naah...  I'm a prude and a snob.  I watch primarily HD, and I don't walk around nude in front of it.  FYI, the world thanks me for that too! :)

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#38 ONLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:38 PM

The "basement" is on par with the high end TV station news studios.

Perhaps the SD quality is making it look worse than it is?

During the hour that I watched, the audio from that studio had an echo like quality to it.  Perhaps they need more egg cartons on the walls. :)

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#39 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:33 AM

Wow what a closed-minded post... Way to speak for everybody, all 300+ million people, thanks.

You're welcome. Read the stats on what's failed, failing and winning on network and cable news. America has already spoken for itself, thank you very much.

#40 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:45 AM

During the hour that I watched, the audio from that studio had an echo like quality to it.  Perhaps they need more egg cartons on the walls. :)

Yeah, like the late, inexpensive Current TV shows, some of the segments/shows on AJAM use lav mikes on lapels that produce a kind of cheap, overly present sound. But the tight proximity helps make up for the fact that the studio is not properly audio sweetened. Cut to, say, Rachel Maddow on MSNBC. No lav mike, they use a sophisticated directional overhead boom, same as what feature films use. Also Conan, Leno etc. This requires the studio be carefully tweaked for ideal audio deadness and lack of reverberance sometimes called "room tone". Most of the quality network anchors/hosts use directional overhead boom mikes and tweaked rooms. It's the best sound by far, and the one we most associated with "class" anchors and hosts...and feature films. It's the most natural to the way we normally hear people talking in a room.

Now if you're hearing "echo" or an unpleasant ambience sometimes called "room tone", that most likely is caused by an off-axis mike not proximate enough to the source. You hear that a lot in indie films when the sound guy is not that competent.

Edited by Maruuk, 22 August 2013 - 01:48 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...