Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Al Jazeera America (AJAM) Prepares To Launch

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:52 AM

Al Jazerra English, which is the version that was being broadcast for free until it went off the air last week, was carrying features that American cable networks were not carrying, and their on site coverage of coups was second to none.  Anyone who desires to watch such programming will watch it on Al Jazerra America if it continues to be covered and presented the same way.  A person who samples Al Jazerra America is not going to switch back to Nancy Grace just because her show has better quality cameras or studio mikes.

CNN dropped Headline News half hour reports back around 2006 because it was drawing about 200,000 viewers.  It immediately doubled that with its tabloid shows, and can triple or quadruple that any time an attractive young white female is wronged.  Anyone who might want to learn of the weather forecast within the next half hour can access it immediately through other means.  Similarly, ESPN and CNN dropped their 11:00 PM sports shows long ago because the viewers who wanted that information could get it earlier than 11:00 PM, and Nightline only dragged on as long as it did because of Ted Koppel and because ABC then clung to that half hour as long and hard as it could, but Nightline really became a superfluous and inconvenient place for news junkies to see important issues discussed at length when those same issues had already been expounded upon dispassionately by the PBS New Hour and then politicized by the cable news prime time shows.

In my opinion, Al Jazerra shouldn't be looking for someone more famous than Soledad OBrien.  It should be looking for someone less famous.  But that is why I am installing satellite reception antennas for a living instead of making television network hiring decisions.  The people I'd hire would be ratings busts.  Russia Today has given Larry King his old prime time interview slot back, and the interviews of his that I've seen had no news or Russian angle to them.  They were just whatever Russia Today determined would draw the largest audience.  I remember when the History Channel ran Dirty Harry.  It must have been part of an anthology series on the American cinema's portrayal of "blowing away punk".  I think they showed WWF or WWE fake wrestling a few months after that.  I hope Al Jazerra America holds true to its mission of showing world news from a non-USA perspective, but at least in the short run, it has to first secure its place in cable "Basic" and "Expanded Basic" tiers, which it can most effectively do by looking and sounding like all the other successful channels.  Unfortunately, once they have accomplished that, I don't think they will ever be able to go back.

Edited by AntAltMike, 29 August 2013 - 02:46 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,110 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

Please keep politics out of this thread - or you too may see your posts disappear.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#43 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,110 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

A person who samples Al Jazerra America is not going to switch back to Nancy Grace just because her show has better quality cameras or studio mikes.

True. The random channel scanning viewer may skip over the channel because it is not in HD, or because some opinion about the set design, or because of some opinion about the channel's "hidden motivation" - but they will earn their viewers the same way any other channel does. By giving their viewers the perspective that they are looking for.

Similarly, ESPN and CNN dropped their 11:00 PM sports shows long ago because the viewers who wanted that information could get it earlier than 11:00 PM, ...

And yet one of Fox Sports 1's anchor shows is an 11:00pm sports show. :)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#44 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

ESPN has Keith Olberman

Similarly, ESPN and CNN dropped their 11:00 PM sports shows long ago because the viewers who wanted that information could get it earlier than 11:00 PM,

BUT, ESPN just rehired Keith Olbermann back and his show is as good as it was in the mid 2000's.

Edited by Davenlr, 29 August 2013 - 06:08 PM.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#45 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:13 AM

ABC News reported last night and again this morning that George Zimmerman was ticketed for driving 60 miles per hour on a roadway that has a 45 MPH speed limit.  Al Jazerra missed that story.

Edited by AntAltMike, 05 September 2013 - 05:19 AM.

#46 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,333 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:18 AM

A news channel can't pick up everything. And really, how many people care?

As for the production value, in the early days of MSNBC, before they went all news/talking head, I remember various issues. Three days after launch was TWA 800 and Brian Williams almost lost it trying to get a computer and a failure of their call screener. I'm sure AJA will improve.

#47 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,223 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:50 AM

I believe that was his point - that ABC covered a ZImmerman speeding ticket TWICE and AJA (properly, IMO) saw it as not being worthy of nationwide news coverage.

#48 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:57 AM

I believe that was his point -....

High School girl, on way to graduation, makes sarcastic remark, which her obtuse boyfriend takes literally.

High School girl, miffed, says, "I was beng ironic"

George Wendt replies, "Actually, you were being sarcastic. What's ironic is, you're about to graduate from high school even though you don't know the difference".

#49 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,319 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

:thats: Well said, George!

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#50 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

It was the only funny line in the eight episodes that were aired before the show was canceled.

Edited by AntAltMike, 15 November 2013 - 02:33 AM.

#51 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:49 AM

Who cares about THE AMERICAN VERSION of this network..... ALL THAT WILL BE ON IT IS USA DISINFORMATION!! (Like every MSM network in this country)

#52 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 867 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:15 AM

I streamed countless hours of AJE on my Roku during the Egypt uprisings, and it was fascinating to watch, uninterrupted and in near real time.

#53 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,223 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:40 AM

Legend:  You have no idea what you're talking about.

They covered the Zadroga bill when nobody else would.

They refused to cover Zimmerman's speeding ticket when everyone else covered it.

#54 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

Legend:  You have no idea what you're talking about.

They covered the Zadroga bill when nobody else would.

They refused to cover Zimmerman's speeding ticket when everyone else covered it.

I have watched Al Jazerra for quite a few hours since it came on DISH.  I am very impressed with what they are doing.  There is minimal hype/fluff and mostly NEWS.  It reminds me of what CNN was 15-20 years ago before they started chasing ratings and going for the lowest common viewer.

• sigma1914 likes this

#55 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

What's frustrating... Dish is inserting ads into various channels to advertise this news channel... and the ads they are inserting are in HD!  But when you tune to the channel itself and see the non-glorious SD... you get sad.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#56 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,089 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

What's frustrating... Dish is inserting ads into various channels to advertise this news channel... and the ads they are inserting are in HD!  But when you tune to the channel itself and see the non-glorious SD... you get sad.

DirecTV does it, too. :(

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#57 OFFLINE   ronton3

ronton3

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

I liked AJ English better.  ron

#58 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,110 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

DISH has not even bothered to change the channel name from current. The logo disappeared ... but now the current logo is back.

#59 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

DISH has not even bothered to change the channel name from current. The logo disappeared ... but now the current logo is back.

Which makes it now one of the most ironically labelled channels in the EPG... since "Current" is no longer current!

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#60 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,223 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:13 AM

So far, I like what I see on AJAM - though I can't say I've spent a lot of time watching.  But I have to say that I *really* want this in HD.  They have some documentaries running overnight that are more difficult to watch when one has been spoiled by HD.  If I have a content-based frustration it's that, if I'm looking for a news summary at any given time, I might have to sit through scheduled programming (interview shows, etc) first.  I'm getting greedy here, but a version of AJAM modeled after what CNN-HN *used* to be (a half-hour repeating program updated as events warrant) would work.

Yeah, I'm spoiled and greedy :)

But I'd rather end on an upbeat note and say that AJAM is a good start and I'd like to see more of it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...