Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

'Rizzoli & Isles' star Lee Thompson Young dead at 29

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,112 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

From Fox News:

Lee Thompson Young, who starred in Disney’s “The Famous Jett Jackson” and most-recently in TNT’s “Rizzoli & Isles,” committed suicide, his manager told FOX411. He was 29.

Young’s body was discovered by his landlord, according to TMZ, after his co-stars from “Rizzoli & Isles” requested someone check in on the actor when he did not show up for work. 

The South Carolina native got his big break when he starred as the title character in “The Famous Jett Jackson” from 1998 to 2001. He then appeared in the Disney flick “Johnny Tsunami.”

Young also appeared on the TV shows “Smallville” and “Scrubs.”

He played detective Barry Frost on “Rizzoli & Isles.”

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,112 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

What a terrible shame. 

His character, Barry Frost was a major character on Rizzoli and Isles and one of our favorites.  

• tnd777 likes this

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#3 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,115 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:35 PM

Man that is awful!  I really like his character.  He always seems happy-go-lucky and cheerful.  So young.  So sad....

RIP

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

Looked like he already had a successful life. Way too young. From TMZ:

Janet Tamaro, the executive producer of "Rizzoli & Isles," tells TMZ ... "Everyone at [the show] is devastated by the news of the passing of Lee Thompson Young."

"We are beyond heartbroken at the loss of this sweet, gentle, good-hearted, intelligent man. He was truly a member of our family. Lee will be cherished and remembered by all who knew and loved him, both on- and offscreen, for his positive energy, infectious smile and soulful grace. We send our deepest condolences and thoughts to his family, to his friends and, most especially, to his beloved mother."

I wonder what was wrong.... :nono2:

R_I01.jpg

RIP Detective Barry Frost

Edited by phrelin, 19 August 2013 - 04:51 PM.

• tnd777 likes this

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,232 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

What a shame. RIP. 

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,083 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

Man, that makes several actors / musicians in that same age group that has elected to just check out recently.

Sorry to see him go, he was a good character in the show for sure.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,415 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:22 PM

From the personal perspective...  this seems like a surprise.  I remember him from Smallville, and he isn't an actor that made the news for bad reasons... so really not much to know about him.  Seems like he was probably a private guy, but that means if there was something troubling going on he may not have felt like he had anyone to talk to.

From the business perspective...  I wonder how they deal with this.  First, they were working on episodes still for this season... that's how they knew he was "missing" because he didn't show up for work today...  and as an important and likeable character on the show, that's a lot of retooling to have to do and that doesn't even take into consideration how hard it will be for everyone to go on without him.

I think about what the cast of Glee was going through this summer... and they weren't in the middle of shooting... they were on summer hiatus... and at least that meant they had more time to focus on their loss and the grief before beginning the plans to move forward... whereas the people on Rizzoli & Isles are right in the middle of things.

It will be really weird watching tomorrow... assuming they show tomorrow's intended new episode... and seeing him after we know he is gone.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#8 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,661 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:15 PM

I'll never understand. But then again, I have never given a damn about what people thought of me.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#9 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,661 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:06 PM

Felt a little weird tonight as watch him in Rizzoli & Isles.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,415 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:23 PM

Felt a little weird tonight as watch him in Rizzoli & Isles.

I had the same thought.  I even watched the entire opening title sequence for the first time in quite a while.  I usually skip through the title the same as I do the commercials.... but I watched the whole sequence tonight.

I also had a thought, comparing what this cast is going through to what the Glee cast has been going through.

Not counting the component of Glee where Lea Michelle was dating Cory Monteith in real life... and that is going to be tough...  but at least Glee is an upbeat musical show where after a month or two I could see that cast and crew looking forward to going to work and losing themselves in the fantasy as they heal and move forward.

But Rizzoli & Isles?  I can't imagine what it would be like to go through all the grief and mourning and then have to go back to work on a crime show like this where they (tonight was a good bad example) have grisly murders...  the escapism into the fantasy doesn't seem to be as conducive to healing as a comedy or non-crime drama would be.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#11 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,115 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

The tribute at the end brought tears to my eyes.  Such a tragic loss.  And to those of us who only knew him as a character - the question "why" may never be answered.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#12 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,793 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

So sad. I've mentioned before being in a historically black fraternity... well, our national governing body that presides over the 9 black fraternities and sororities is very networked. Young was a member of Kappa Alpha Psi and word from his brothers was they're surprised as well. He was an outstanding young man, graduating with honors from USC. His mother, Dr. Velma Love, is an excellent university assistant professor.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#13 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

I wonder how they deal with this.  First, they were working on episodes still for this season... that's how they knew he was "missing" because he didn't show up for work today...  and as an important and likeable character on the show, that's a lot of retooling to have to do and that doesn't even take into consideration how hard it will be for everyone to go on without him.

Were they working on "this" season or were they working on a mini season like they ran last December?  I would think this season's episodes are already in the can.

Maybe they will bring Frankie in as a permanent part of the squad.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#14 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,451 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

Man that's awful; may you R.I.P.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#15 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:40 PM

Were they working on "this" season or were they working on a mini season like they ran last December?  I would think this season's episodes are already in the can.

Maybe they will bring Frankie in as a permanent part of the squad.

They are probably working on the second half of this season, TNT splits their seasons, since this half of the season only has 3 episodes left.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall