Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is there a satellite flaking out or is it just me?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

I get some channels, but not others (Complete Signal Loss message).  I don't know what channels are on which satellites though.  I'm supposed to be getting 110 and 119 I guess.  Both test good and check switch tests good

I get Rural, TVLand and GSN, not sure what all else.  Not getting SCI, ID or Disc for example.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

I'm getting 61-61 on the signal meter for 110 and 73 or so on 119.  Both lock with the Sat name.

Also getting 70 or so on 105, whatever that is.

Did a power boot from the front panel on/off button on the 512.

#3 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:00 PM

Nothing is on 110 anymore is it? He's your signals on the other satelites. 119 is mostly locals and foreign language.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#4 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

So what am I supposed to have for the Western Arc?

#5 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

Oh shoot. I thought this was dtv. Lol. Sorry no clue on dish side. Ignore what I said.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

If you have western arc... you should also have 129.  You didn't mention 129... so if you lost 129, that might explain a bunch of missing channels.

I'm on eastern arc, so can't say if there are any western arc issues at the moment.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#7 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

On the Installation Summary Details page, I see:

Port 1 DPP Twin, 119 Even, Odd

Port 2 DPP Twin, 110 Even, Odd

Port 3 External LNB:  None, No connection

The same thing shows for both Satellite Inputs.

#8 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

Did a cold boot - unplugged for about a minute, plugged back in, did the acuiring and guide download, but no change otherwise.

#9 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

Dish is on the roof, so nothing should have moved or obstructed it.  Guess I can check the LNB in the morning for bird poop.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:28 PM

I don't remember what package you subscribe to (if you have mentioned it before) or if you have HD receivers or not.

IF you don't have HD, maybe you don't have 129... but if you do have HD then missing 129 is a definite problem.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#11 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:58 AM

No HD.

512 Receiver; AT250.

#12 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:31 AM

Suspect the 512 may have problems.  The 512 started life as a 522 receiver about 10 years ago so you got it as a well used receiver.

#13 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 296 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

No HD.

512 Receiver; AT250.

I know this can be frustrating and I wanted to check and see if you’re still having the issue with Signal Loss. What are the channels that you’re having the signal loss on? Will the signal loss be intermitting or consistent?

Thanks

#14 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

^^  I don't really know what all channels were missing ... some are listed above, also HMC, HUB and a few others.  Nobody posted a list of what channels are on what satellites, so I couldn't test for sure.

I don't really know what happened and I don't really know what I did, but I seem to have it back, at least for now.

When I didn't find any visible obstructions I started messing around with the Point Dish screen and peaking.  Even when I had a signal lock (around 55-60) and ID on 110, I wasn't getting the missing channels.  119 was locked also around 70.  Sometimes 119 would lock but not 110.  Sometimes 110 would show 'Wrong Satellite" on the point dish screen.

I tried adjusting both azimuth and elevation and could never really get any better than those numbers, but no matter what, the channels were missing.

The ONLY thing I changed was the port coming from the DP Plus LNB that goes inside to the 512.  There are two COAX leads coming out of it to a twin ground block at the base of the dish mount bracket.  I moved the house cable from one to the other.

Signals are still at the numbers mentioned above, but I now have the missing channels.  I'm not sure why though, or if it's only temporary.

Not sure I can afford a service call if that LNB is going bad and needs to be replaced.

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

I get some channels, but not others (Complete Signal Loss message).  I don't know what channels are on which satellites though.  I'm supposed to be getting 110 and 119 I guess.  Both test good and check switch tests good

I get Rural, TVLand and GSN, not sure what all else.  Not getting SCI, ID or Disc for example.

are you with dish or DTV ?

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

^^  I don't really know what all channels were missing ... some are listed above, also HMC, HUB and a few others.  Nobody posted a list of what channels are on what satellites, so I couldn't test for sure.

See www.dishuser.org for channel's line up

#17 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

Lost it again.  It was working fine for a while, but the problem is back.  Switched leads on the block again, but nothing changed this time.  110 is showing a level of under 10 and I know the dish hasn't moved in the last few days.

Could this be an LNB issue?  If so, what do they cost form Dish?  I'm pretty sure I can get them from other sources, but is it just a matter of swapping it out, or is there something else involved?  And then what if I change it and the problem remains?

#18 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

I'm thinking I may have had a brain freeze when I read this thread earlier - but your question 'could this be an LNB issue?' just jogged my memory.  I have a dish500 that I use when camping (we RV a lot).  Anyhow, late last summer, I was experiencing problems with the signal strength 'fading' to the point it was unusable (especially if the sun shined directly on the face of the dish).  Long story short-problem was still occuring when I started camping this past spring, so I went on Ebay, found a dish500 lnb (new from some guy in Canada who sells a bunch of them) and bought one (as I recall it was somewhere around $20 delivered, and I haven't had a problem since

Lost it again.  It was working fine for a while, but the problem is back.  Switched leads on the block again, but nothing changed this time.  110 is showing a level of under 10 and I know the dish hasn't moved in the last few days.

Could this be an LNB issue?  If so, what do they cost form Dish?  I'm pretty sure I can get them from other sources, but is it just a matter of swapping it out, or is there something else involved?  And then what if I change it and the problem remains?

#19 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 304 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

I still suspect the 512 as being the problem the bunch of Channel Master Twins that were temperature sensitive should have been replaced years ago, except for the occasional usages.

#20 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

Checked it this morning and found out 110 was back again.

spam firewall